• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'll be traveling to NY between November 26-30 for personal purposes. I was wondering if anyone knows of modest and affordable hotels/motels near downtown for no more than $50 a night. The only places I've found so far were hostels with very bad reviews for ~$45 a night. I've never stayed in a hostel and I don't think it's for me. Any leads, coupons, deals or promotions appreciated.
TIA!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yeah, just call PEnnsylvania 6-5000 to ge the Hotel Pennsylvania on the line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEnnsylvani... (more)

rooms222 (Jan. 22, 2013 @ 10:21a) |

Hotel Pennsylvania is definitely a great place to vacation, assuming that you live in a slum in Kabul the rest of the ye... (more)

cestmoi123 (Jan. 24, 2013 @ 8:24a) |

BrlDsguise (Jan. 24, 2013 @ 7:04p) |

• Also categorized in:

mikejensen said:   I'll be traveling to NY between November 26-30 for personal purposes. I was wondering if anyone knows of a modest and affordable hotels/motels near downtown for no more than $50 a night. The only places I've found so far were hostels with very bad reviews for ~$45 a night. I've never stayed in a hostel and I don't think it's for me. Any leads, coupons, deals or promotions appreciated.
TIA!
Define downtown, do you mean the Finacial District, Tribeca, the Village??
Yes, I would imagine a $45/night hotel in Manhattan would get bad reviews.

I used to stay at the Columbus Circle Hostel when I would visit NYC, but they apparently closed earlier this year. I don't see you getting a "modest" hotel room for less then $100 a night in NYC. I am in my 20's and have no problem staying in hostels, as I travel and live frugally (the Fatwallet way). Equity Point Hostel in NYC has very decent reviews, an average score of 91.3% recommendation on HostelBookers . However, they don't offer lockers for luggage.

Some other choices might be checking out Airbnb and Couchsurfing.

Sorry. I'm not too familiar with NYC. But I'll be visiting a place in East 40th St. I'll be arriving and departing from LaGuardia Airport and I won't have access to a car. I'll be traveling without luggage.

Days Inn Long Island City - Queens is $103/night for those dates, that is about as good as you will do. You will be able to take the 7 subway to Grand Central (15 minute subway ride) and walk to East 40th which is midtown, not downtown. It is convenient to LGA, you could take a bus/subway combination or taxi.

$50 is an unrealistic goal for a hotel room in New York City. Since you don't care much about location, you could try Priceline.com once you understand how to use it. Google for tips or visit biddingfortravel.com. The more time you spend researching, the better chance you have at landing hotel savings in New York via Priceline. If you've not done it before, you select an area and a star level and place a bid. If your bid is accepted, the hotel will be revealed to you. At that point, there is no cancellation possible.

Try homeaway

mikejensen said:   Sorry. I'm not too familiar with NYC. But I'll be visiting a place in East 40th St. I'll be arriving and departing from LaGuardia Airport and I won't have access to a car. I'll be traveling without luggage.

Sounds like you want something in Midtown, not Downtown. I usually book on the day of using Priceline. Can usually get a decent room between $129-$149. $50 isn't going to happen.

Days in LIC sounds by far to be the best deal. Any hotels near 40th under $160 per night would be horrible. Hilton on 6th is only a few blocks north. Old but large rooms for manhattan and often have convention rates or corp rates for businesses near there. They never check my id. Best price i get is 160-130 and they always hooked me up with 2 queen beds. I live in BK but some nights we had to work around the clock and I would call for room same day....pretend I was with time inc, etc as what our corp rate was. LIC Days Inn published rate is crazy low. I wonder if you call and pretend you are worker with TSA or southwest if they give better rate?

Short easy 7 train subway to 42nd and grand central or stay on all the way to times sq.

I stayed at a place called the Holland Motor Lodge a few years back. It was under $90 per night the last time I was there. It looks like they're called the Holland Hotel now. It's in Jersey City and REALLY close to the Holland tunnel (hence the name). There is a PATH Train Station within walking distance. The PATH will take you as far as 33rd St into Manhattan which puts you out right underneath Madison Square Garden. You can transfer to the MTA from there.

EDIT: That's assuming that the PATH service will be up and running by November 26th. From what I understand, the train is not running into the city due to damage from Sandy.

Due to Hurricane Sandy there are thousands of displaced residents within the 5 boro's of NYC. You may have a hard time finding a deal on a hotel.

I saw some people living on the subway grating on the corner, downtown, for under $50 a night.

IMO the price point you want is ridiculous for the lodging you want.

There are a few flophouse level places off Times Square that you might be able to get for your price range.

They have free hot and cold running cockroaches and all the free rats you can catch.

Try for the free room burglary invasion special.

Seriously, check out airbnb.com far better deals than hotels.

You need to be an extremely seasoned traveller and an expert in exploiting hotel point systems to reach anywhere near $50 in NYC. The best I've personally done is approx $100 (cash plus cash value of points used) a night using SPG cash and points for a 4 star property that regularly goes for $400+ a night. $50 is possible if you don't insist on full service properties.

If you are new to the points game or if you are paying cash then $50 simply won't happen in NYC.

Ok, actually thought of something. http://www.hinewyork.org/
Youth hostel, dorm living (not quite as bad since you don't have luggage), and reportedly has a safe record. New York City's Upper West Side neighborhood. One block to Broadway where things go on into the late evening. Stores, restaurants, bars, ect. 2 blocks to Subway, which will take you to midtown, where it seems you really want to be, in 10 minutes or so for $2.25.

I travel there quite a bit, $ 50 will only happen if you choose a Hostel. This means shared bathroom and sleeping with other people in the room. As another poster said, its not big deal and good for all ages. Im in my 40's and have been doing it since my 20's. My wife does not care for it, but my cousins love it (females). I enjoy it because its a great way to meet people. To a google search for Hostel and NYC, then check on the map and call them.

On thing to make sure, it that you pay attention to the time to check in and ensure you have a reservation. Hostels are often run by volunteers or ..well..um..not the brightest bunch of folks..friendly...but more the pro-weed crowd.

That being said, I have found them to be safe, and clean. Strong suggestion if you are traveling to see the big city for a few days.

Been to the HI, its good.

Four nights without luggage? Just curious.

satchelsofgold said:   Four nights without luggage? Just curious.
I'll be in NYC to renew some documents that unfortunately require my physical presence there. So, I'll be traveling very lightly, i.e. no suitcases, just a small bag containing papers and toiletries enough for 4 days.

There is a Fairfield Inn near Astoria station on the N/Q line which usually has reasonable prices (for NYC). They provide a decent breakfast and have a shuttle to pick you up at LaGuardia and will also take you to the subway station.

Michael419 said:   There is a Fairfield Inn near Astoria station on the N/Q line which usually has reasonable prices (for NYC). They provide a decent breakfast and have a shuttle to pick you up at LaGuardia and will also take you to the subway station.
269.00 USD / Night for 1 person is a bit expensive. Thank you though.

I've just booked at Chelsea Star Hotel & Hostel, Manhattan (New York). One Bed in a Mixed Dormitory with Shared Bathroom - Special Offer - Prepaid/Non Refundable - Free Wireless Internet at a daily total: 49.99 USD (Taxes not included). The cheapest I could find.
Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate all the helpful input

mikejensen said:   I've just booked at Chelsea Star Hotel & Hostel, Manhattan (New York). One Bed in a Mixed Dormitory with Shared Bathroom - Special Offer - Prepaid/Non Refundable - Free Wireless Internet at a daily total: 49.99 USD (Taxes not included). The cheapest I could find.
Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate all the helpful input

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d208888-r14520...

Check out Hotel 41 In Times Square. You may be able to get it for about $150.

For a really cheap place try: The Gershwin Hotel - You can get this one for about $70-90/night.

Found them on BestHotelsUnder100.com: http://www.besthotelsunder100.com/nyc-hotels-under-100/

Here is one of the suggestions you'll find:

"Days Hotel Broadway - BestTravelCoupon.com was only $792(for 4 nights) while Priceline was well over $1400. See the screenshot below of the actual search results."

Another suggestions was this hotel at $100/night:

Morningside Inn is located at 235 West 107th Street, New York City. It’s very close to Columbia University and New York’s Theater District. Central Park is also very close to the hotel. Easily one of the best hotel values in the city.

Salisbury hotel, The edison hotel, Hotel Pennsylvania. These are best hotel for spending your vacation and reasonable too.

Yeah, just call PEnnsylvania 6-5000 to ge the Hotel Pennsylvania on the line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEnnsylvania_6-5000

+1 (212) 736-5000

douglasphilipps1 said:   Salisbury hotel, The edison hotel, Hotel Pennsylvania. These are best hotel for spending your vacation and reasonable too.

Hotel Pennsylvania is definitely a great place to vacation, assuming that you live in a slum in Kabul the rest of the year. In comparison, the Penn will look somewhat more appealing than home. Somewhat.

cestmoi123 said:   douglasphilipps1 said:   Salisbury hotel, The edison hotel, Hotel Pennsylvania. These are best hotel for spending your vacation and reasonable too.

Hotel Pennsylvania is definitely a great place to vacation, assuming that you live in a slum in Kabul the rest of the year. In comparison, the Penn will look somewhat more appealing than home. Somewhat.

Dave Barry's Take

Get Bedbugs & Sue (Delouse/Repeat)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014