REQUEST : Guidance to go to NYC from LA.

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi Folks,

I am planning to travel to NY from LA. This will be my first travel to NY, so i am looking for some tips/advises as to how to book flight/hotels ans what all things to do there. Please help.

Data : 22nd Nov to 25 Nov ( mostly 4 days)
Dep City : LAX
Arriv : NYC
Nights: 3
Approx budget : Min

I am looking on Expedia site for some information.

Appreciate ur help. Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
http://www.nycgo.com/

This website is useful and includes free stuff to do in NYC. Most museums are requested donation b... (more)

Girlfromdublin (Nov. 15, 2012 @ 2:10p) |

I'm sorry, you are asking about traveling to NYC during Thanksgiving with less than 10 days to go, not to mention you ar... (more)

ShowMeDaMoney (Nov. 17, 2012 @ 4:35p) |

So how was the trip?

BrlDsguise (Nov. 28, 2012 @ 11:42a) |

I WANT TO REQUEST A DEAL

Be sure to have SEARCHED first. Your question may have already been answered!
Search our Travel Deals forum Here
Search via Google, Ask.com,Yahoo.com

Share if you find what you're looking for and it wasn't here! Karma, all things, circular.

Requests need to include the following in order to receive a useful reply: 1) Title should start with the word "REQUEST" (e.g. "REQUEST - Cheap air/hotel package to Vegas from LAX")
2) Dates you plan to travel. Estimates are fine, just give a range of dates if you're flexible.
3) Departure and Destination (and airports if you're flying)
4) Number of Travelers (listed as # of adults/# of children, ages may be helpful too)
5) Number of Nights you're staying
6) Your budget (This is critical! It can change everything about your trip)
7) Activities of Interest at your destination
8) What you have found so far in your own research?--This is the most important information we need to help! (Include prices, including taxes and fees and where you found the deal. Nobody wants to duplicate your research, after all!)

People will be more able to make suggestions if you share your interests. What research have you done?
Start here
(Edit to correct link)

WashingtonState said:   People will be more able to make suggestions if you share your interests. What research have you done? L A is a huge place. Museums? Hollywood? Pacific Ocean? Shopping? History? Budget? start here

Be sure to visit the French Quarter in NO.

As a fellow Angeleno, I urge you to beware of taxis. When riding a taxi, ALWAYS take a NYC Yellow Taxi.
If you fly into JFK: There is a city-mandated flat rate of $45 from JFK to ANYWHERE in Manhattan. The same is true when returning to the airport. The airport rate should be written on the side of the taxi. When you drive off, the taxi meter should automatically read "$45" and you are not responsible for any other tolls or fees. Also, some drivers don't like to take credit cards (due to service fees) and will sometimes claim that the card reader is broken then suggest that you pay with cash. That is almost never true.

On one of my most recent trips to NY, I stayed at Hotel 31 in Midtown. It's on 31st St. between Lexington and Park Ave. It was clean, pretty cheap and kind of quaint with an old-style elevator. Also, there's a great pizza restaurant right on the corner.

I recommend staying in midtown because the city is alive all day and night. From my hotel I could walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Korea Town and Central Park. Unlike LA, there are no large gaps between these districts so there is something interesting to see on every block if you decide to walk midtown.

If you're on a budget and want to try some great Indian curry, check out the Bricklane Curry House. Also Kum Gang San, in Koreatown, has great Korean barbecue and is open 'til REALLY late.

I could go on and on. Enjoy your trip to NY!

Taxi from JFK is $52 plus tolls and tip. Don't want the OP to get is a$$ kicked by angry cab driver before being able to enjoy all the city has to offer.

If you don't have a lot of luggage, take the subway. Go to MTA website to map out trip from JFK - cost - $2 and change for subway. And depending on what time you fly in, subway could be much faster due to traffic (heard LA traffic was worse). Either way, subway easy and cheap.

I suggest looking at travel sites like Hotels.com and Tripadvisor.com before asking us to do your homework for you. Why not tell us what you've found so far and maybe then we can point you in the right direction. Enjoy your trip.

Use flight multi search to find cheap flights and Homeaway.com or airbnb.com to book cheap accomodation.

You don't need to rent car to see NYC, a $8.75 MTA pass would do. Do check the weather as it's getting colder out here.

as a traveler, ive been traveling between NY and LA for the past 3 years and i can tell you right now those dates will be very pricey. I use kayak.com to compare deals between all the major airports in So cal and NYC. Sometimes if Round Trip fares are expensive, i'd do one way searches as they usually come far cheaper than round trip. Also, 60% of the time, stop over flights can get you a cheaper rate as well if you are ok with not flying direct. --- You can also use kayak.com to look for hotel rates but check Hotels.com as well because sometimes you can find a cheaper rate + FatWallet CashBack.

I dont recommend you getting a yellow taxi cab if you are traveling light because they have buses for $15 that will take you into manhattan. Its better than paying flat rate of $52 cab fee, unless you have more than 2 ppl traveling with you.

You can save a fair amount of money by taking the Train to the Plane instead of a Taxi. I have used this service many times, and it's quick and relatively cheap. If you use the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) connection, it is all done in the same station. If you prefer to take the Subway, which will be the cheapest way overall, you'll have to exit the LIRR/Train to the Plane Station and walk a few blocks up to the Sutphin Boulevard Subway. I suppose it would depend on where you are going in Manhattan and how much luggage you have.

The LIRR will take you to Penn Station which is directly under Madison Square Garden at 34th Street and 7th & 8th Ave.
The Subway will bring you into Manhattan where you can change trains for various other locations usually at no further cost.

There's so much to do in NYC that I'm sure you'll find your four days full, but I highly suggest the Tenement Museum to visitors, as it's uniquely New York and will help give you an idea of what it was like to live here about 100 years ago.

Have fun!

I agree with others, there are other ways to get out of the airport besides yellow taxi. All the airport terminals are connected to an AirTrain that goes to the subway or LIRR trains.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

Also don't hesitate if you need a ride to call a local car service and have them pick you up, at the airport or anywhere else in the city. They are cheaper than a yellow taxi. The car service number you call is usually dependent on where you need to picked at but (212) 777-7777 is popular one...you can also just ask a local. "Do you know a car service around here?" You should always agree on the price when you call for the car. Calling a car service is cheaper and different altogether than when a non-yellow taxi stops and picks you up on the street (technically forbidden). When you get into one of these, usually black Lincoln Town cars, without a meter, its usually the most expensive way to get around.

If its your first trip to the city, you're probably better off if you spend it all in the tourist centric Manhattan. Maybe walk across t he Brooklyn Bridge or take the SI ferry if only to get a different view of the island. If you come back a few times you should explore the other parts of the city where in general things are cheaper, younger, less touristy.

This is going to sound silly to some. But if you want to fit in & not get any extra attention or look like a mark. Then I suggest you wear black colored clothing. From jackets, shirts, jeans etc. Locals wear black. Tourists don't.

I lived in NYC for many years and can assure you we wear blue jeans and do not dress in black from head to toe every day.

This is really wierd, all these years in NYC and I never noticed it. Men or Women in black.

zukemania said:   If you don't have a lot of luggage, take the subway. Go to MTA website to map out trip from JFK - cost - $2 and change for subway. And depending on what time you fly in, subway could be much faster due to traffic (heard LA traffic was worse). Either way, subway easy and cheap.Actually $7.25. The subway is $2.25, but you have to take the AirTrain to the first subway station (Jamaica or Howard Beach), that will cost $5.00.

it doesnt matter where u get a hotel in the city, since you will be taxiing/subwaying it all over. all subways are basically up and running full time here again, so i suggest looking for a non-expensive chain hotel, which will save u some cash. actually, the hampton inn time square is an AVG of 259 a night, which for thanksgiving weekend, is pretty damn good.

and just an fyi, im wearing a blue collared shirt. yep. true story.

BizE said:   The airport rate should be written on the side of the taxi. It's not, anymore. link

macosx said:   WashingtonState said:   People will be more able to make suggestions if you share your interests. What research have you done? L A is a huge place. Museums? Hollywood? Pacific Ocean? Shopping? History? Budget? start here

Be sure to visit the French Quarter in NO.

The trip is from LA to NYC

http://www.nycgo.com/

This website is useful and includes free stuff to do in NYC. Most museums are requested donation but you can pay as much as you can afford.

I'm sorry, you are asking about traveling to NYC during Thanksgiving with less than 10 days to go, not to mention you are on a budget?!?

Good Luck! You may need to fly standby to any of the local airports, probably Newark would be the cheapest. The large chains should have vacancy's due to the holiday weekend such as the Hilton in Grand Central or Sheraton on 6th Ave. You may also want to look at Brooklyn and Queens for cheaper lodging (usually 15 min subway ride to the city).

First thing you should buy and wear is the I♥NY shirts. We NY'ers all wear that.

dnmech said:   Hi Folks,

I am planning to travel to NY from LA. This will be my first travel to NY, so i am looking for some tips/advises as to how to book flight/hotels ans what all things to do there. Please help.

Data : 22nd Nov to 25 Nov ( mostly 4 days)
Dep City : LAX
Arriv : NYC
Nights: 3
Approx budget : Min

I am looking on Expedia site for some information.

Appreciate ur help. Thanks.

So how was the trip?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014