Volunteering while traveling?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm looking to do a trip for a 1-2 weeks where I can volunteer while traveling. Anyone have any experience and can point me to good sites? I don't mind paying for my expenses of course as long as the program helps and the expenses are reasonable.

I'd definitely love to hear of anything others have done. I know this isn't the typical save me the most money possible thread.. but figured I'd tap into the FatWallet travel savvy for ideas.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I listened to a podcast called This Week in Travel and they had a guest co-host who discussed volunteering while traveling. I think she mentions a few companies during the interview and also has a book out called "The Volunteer Traveler's Handbook". Also, check out The Amateur Traveler podcast, where a few topics cover volunteer traveling.

Beware of unscrupulous travel tour companies that claim they offer "volunteer" vacations. You're paying full boat travel costs (and lining their pockets) and partake in an "experience" rather than truly helping out a local community in need. Do you homework...

Try the below site...
http://www.oneworld365.org/category/volunteer

I wrote about this a while ago in a thread about how to live like a millionaire on a student budget, but the usual people shot it down, so I am reluctant to bring the subject back up.

Sorry for the lack of reply. My subscriptions aren't working. Honestly, one of my main concerns is being ripped off by random volunteering tour providers which is why I asked this here. greling, it'd be great if you could let me know your thoughts. I won't shoot anything down.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.