Swiss Speeding Ticket

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Rented a car from Hertz in Zurich. After I got back to the U.S., Swiss police sent me a ticket asking for CHF 120, speeding 10km/h above speed limit. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My city/county voted to outlaw these cameras. Now they are just mounted for no apparent reason. All it does is scare the... (more)

alamo11 (Dec. 07, 2012 @ 9:45p) |

RushnRockt (Dec. 08, 2012 @ 1:35p) |

I want to speed where you speed. In my county, speeding tickets run around $400, and when you plea bargain in court, th... (more)

m2go (Dec. 21, 2012 @ 10:01p) |

Are you asking if you have to pay the ticket or not? Do you ever plan on going back in Switzerland?

betaTest said:   speeding 10km/h above speed limit

10 whole Kilometers over the speed limit? That's irresponsible.

send them a lump of cheese

I read the flyertalk post, basically I can either pay it or ignore it and hope to not be stopped if I'm there for a layover or something. Does anyone know if there are points associated with this? Doesn't say anything on the letter.

Thats 6.3 mph above speed limit.
Was this on highway or in area like downtown/school?

Just imagine if they ticketed same way here in US, more than half the drivers would have paid fines.

ggmon said:   Thats 6.3 mph above speed limit.

Just imagine if they ticketed same way here in US, more than half the drivers would have paid fines.

If they ticketed like that in the US, you can bet you wouldn't have that many people speeding in the first place...

Speed limit was 60 km/h

websquirrel said:   ggmon said:   Thats 6.3 mph above speed limit.

If they ticketed like that in the US, you can bet you wouldn't have that many people speeding in the first place...

If they ticketed like that in the US, you can bet there won't be any drivers left...
As far as OP is concerned, I think you should just pay it.

betaTest said:   I read the flyertalk post, basically I can either pay it or ignore it and hope to not be stopped if I'm there for a layover or something. Does anyone know if there are points associated with this? Doesn't say anything on the letter.

I don't believe that Switzerland shares data with your state's DMV in a reciprocal program so I wouldn't worry about points. Better to pay off a small fine than to risk ever having complications with the law the next time you're in town. Compared with the time lost and legal complications, paying it off would equate to a "slick deal".

$130 for 6 mph over. Were you in a school zone? Fines like that here would considered extortion.

betaTest said:   I read the flyertalk post, basically I can either pay it or ignore it and hope to not be stopped if I'm there for a layover or something. Does anyone know if there are points associated with this? Doesn't say anything on the letter.

I work for an organization that handles situations like this all the time. Most common is Italy but the Swiss are similar. There are usually no points associated with these tickets. The biggest problem would be a) if you ever intend to return or, b) what typically happens in these situations is when the user of the car does not pay, the Swiss authorities ask the rental company to pay, in this case Hertz. Herts will glady pony up the money for you then they will charge you Isometimes will hit your card automatically) plus a processing fee. What I always advise is to pay the fine, better to pay it than deal with any consequences later.

Hope this helps.

Did you atleast have a Swiss Blonde next to you ?

For people thinking he was only 10 km/h over the speed limit...he was probably more than that over the limit, they just rounded down.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a clause in your rental contract that Hertz will go after you if you don't pay. The Swiss Police don't give up that easily, and obviously Hertz is cooperating with the police. There is also likely a photo of you in the driver's seat and I doubt Hertz is going to deny that you were driving the car. You can pay now or deal with Hertz for a higher price later...your choice.

If you read the FT thread on this, you see that tickets for 10 kilometers over the limit are not uncommon, some reported getting tickets for as little as 5 over the limit.

Bottom Line: The Swiss take speeding and their cheese very seriously!

jaimelobo said:   

Bottom Line: The Swiss take speeding and their cheese very seriously!

..and fine timepieces, chocolate, and neutrality.

websquirrel said:   ggmon said:   Thats 6.3 mph above speed limit.

You wouldn't have that many people driving either because they lost their licenses.
6.3 is ridiculous.

I would avoid travel to Switzerland. Finland, on the other hand, welcomesyou..

I would check my contract with Hertz before paying the ticket--most of the time there is a clause saying that Hertz will pay the ticket on your behalf and bill your credit card for the ticket amount plus a processing fee. You don't want to double pay the ticket.

If you have no plans to visit Switzerland again, just ignore it.

You may be able to avoid any liability at all if you called your CC issuer and advised them your card is damaged and request a new card - they will likely issue you a new one with a new expiration date and Hertz won't be able to charge your old card. However, they may get you the next time you attempt to rent from them and might very well send your account to collections, so that might backfire on you.

Another option would be to contest the charge, if Hertz sticks you with it and bills your CC. If you really don't think you were speeding, call your credit card company and contest the bill, saying you weren't speeding, you were simply issued the ticket because you were driving a rental car and you are denied due process of law by the fact that it isn't reasonable for you to fly to another continent to contest a speeding ticket.

Write back to the Swiss police and tell them you would pay the fine, except you are billing them the same amount for putting holes in your cheese, so it's a wash.

cechmanek32 said:   betaTest said:   I read the flyertalk post, basically I can either pay it or ignore it and hope to not be stopped if I'm there for a layover or something. Does anyone know if there are points associated with this? Doesn't say anything on the letter.

I work for an organization that handles situations like this all the time. Most common is Italy but the Swiss are similar. There are usually no points associated with these tickets. The biggest problem would be a) if you ever intend to return or, b) what typically happens in these situations is when the user of the car does not pay, the Swiss authorities ask the rental company to pay, in this case Hertz. Herts will glady pony up the money for you then they will charge you Isometimes will hit your card automatically) plus a processing fee. What I always advise is to pay the fine, better to pay it than deal with any consequences later.

Hope this helps.

That was exactly my experience when I chose to ignore a parking ticket in DE.
The processing fee was like 150% of the ticket itself

I decided to go ahead and just pay it, but when I input the information it keeps telling me 'Fine or plate ID error'. I'm putting in the correct information...anyone ran into this before? Should I just call them?

I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.

RushnRockt said:   I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.

No, they are all from Mars - have a good day.

RushnRockt said:   I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.
I have never seen a camera yet in NJ.. or anywhere between NJ to (TN/NC/FL) on highways. I have no clue whether you are from US or not.

KayK said:   I have never seen a camera yet in NJ.. or anywhere between NJ to (TN/NC/FL) on highways.

Two of them on I-95 in MD have accounted for over 130,000 tickets.

MD Camera Locations

They are set at 12MPH over the 55MPH speed limit.

KayK said:   RushnRockt said:   I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.
I have never seen a camera yet in NJ.. or anywhere between NJ to (TN/NC/FL) on highways. I have no clue whether you are from US or not.

Ahh, yes, that's the one and only road in US!!!

Here, take a look: www.photoenforced.com/us.html#

There are a few states in there...

RushnRockt said:   KayK said:   RushnRockt said:   I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.

My city/county voted to outlaw these cameras. Now they are just mounted for no apparent reason. All it does is scare the f*n snowbirds to drive even crappier. -_-

Arizona has speed cameras? I thought that place was where you could do whatever the hell you want and no one gives a sh*t. It's the desert.

alamo11 said:   RushnRockt said:   KayK said:   RushnRockt said:   I don't understand this "6.3 mph is ridiculous" outrage. There are many photo radars in 35 MPH areas (similar to OPs situation) that take a picture at 40 and above. Most highway cameras, where speed limit is set at 65 mph, go off at 73 mph. That's 8 mph difference for a considerably higher speed limit. Makes me wonder if any of the people commenting about this actually from US.

My city/county voted to outlaw these cameras. Now they are just mounted for no apparent reason. All it does is scare the f*n snowbirds to drive even crappier. -_-

Arizona has speed cameras? I thought that place was where you could do whatever the hell you want and no one gives a sh*t. It's the desert.

Well... read this one http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/speed-camera-operator...

xpaphil said:   $130 for 6 mph over. Were you in a school zone? Fines like that here would considered extortion.

I want to speed where you speed. In my county, speeding tickets run around $400, and when you plea bargain in court, they may drop to ~80$ (stop sign, seat belt, whatever you can negotuate), but add court fees, safety fees, and other things - back to ~150%.

Would be happy to pay them if they didn't impact my insurance rate...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014