BEWARE PRICELINE

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am still trying to get my money back from them after nearly a year of dealing with them. I booked a hotel, found a better deal, and made sure I canceled within the timeframe that is allowed without incurring a penalty.

My main thrill in life is finding a great deal.But even giants of the industry like Priceline can be tricky because once they have your credit card information, you are essentially at their mercy.

Always talk with a person and take down their name when booking and/or cancelling a reservation. It will save so much heartache!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Who uses Priceline in 2013? Here is a 2013 rate comparison with Priceline. They did 90 searches. Priceline with the l... (more)

LArugby (Mar. 17, 2013 @ 7:20p) |

I thought PL was non-refundable. Did you use NYOP or Express Deals, because if you did, yup, you're screwed. But I hav... (more)

tomrgreen (Mar. 21, 2013 @ 3:19p) |

This is the most confusing post I have ever read. Here's my take on it.

1. The article you link to doesn't refer to NYO... (more)

FamilyOfSix (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 9:14p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Some information is missing. I'm guessing you booked through Priceline and you did not use the Name Your Own Price option because there is no cancellation using that option. If that's true, you may have called to cancel a hotel reservation or did it online. When you cancelled, were you not given a cancellation number? I learned a long time ago (not from Priceline) that those cancellation numbers can be quite valuable. I've disputed charges for cancelled hotel stays and as soon as I could provide the cancellation number, the issue was resolved in my favor.

If you do have a cancellation number, you have great evidence to support a chargeback claim with your credit card company.

This isn't just Priceline - it can happen with stays booked directly with hotels or with other booking sites. Unless I'm filling in the blanks incorrectly, this sounds like a lesson learned about keeping those cancellation numbers for a few billing cycles.

Another thing to be careful of
Hotels often "accidentally" charge you for parking or room service that you never used
Review your bill very carefully, especially when it is a Priceline reservation
You would be surprised how many times I find an error in my favor, that they take off in a second once i point it out

PennyPinchingPam said:   
Always talk with a person and take down their name when booking and/or cancelling a reservation. It will save so much heartache!

Or just do it all online to have a better record of the transactions. And get cash / points back through an affiliate link.

Also, if you have been dealing with it for some long why didn't you involve your CC company in the dispute. Probably too late at this point, but bring them in early on next time.

JonnyRock said:   
Review your bill very carefully, especially when it is a Priceline reservation

There is no such "especially".

Oh, I did it the moment I got home! I have been dealing with this for literally a year.

I cancelled within my allotted time and everything. I have all the documents from PL saying the cancellation was fine and my refund was guaranteed. I involved my lawyers and dealt with the hotel and PL. It is definitely PL's doing. As soon as I get my money back, I am dropping Bank of America.

I did it online and will never do so again. The reason being that I cannot say I spoke to such-and-such a person--why did they tell me such-and-such?

I am very diligent about reading fine print.

Oh, I did it the moment I got home! I have been dealing with this for literally a year.

I cancelled within my allotted time and everything. I have all the documents from PL saying the cancellation was fine and my refund was guaranteed. I involved my lawyers and dealt with the hotel and PL. It is definitely PL's doing. As soon as I get my money back, I am dropping Bank of America.

I did it online and will never do so again. The reason being that I cannot say I spoke to such-and-such a person--why did they tell me such-and-such?

I am very diligent about reading fine print.

Yes, I was given a cancellation number, and retain the print-out.

My paranoia is clearly not really paranoia!

Excellent point! Well taken.

In this case however, I never set foot in the hotel. I cancelled before the deadline (whereby you much pay a fee)and I was still charged. I have a sneaking suspicion someone with sticky fingers works in their Accounts Payable.

I used my bank debit card. Never again!

You might want to learn how to quote the post to whom you are replying - it makes it a lot easier to follow the discussion.

PennyPinchingPam said:   

Sorry...but the (lack of a) story just doesn't seem to add up. Unless this was a very expensive hotel stay...your "lawyers" would have probably cost more than the stay...and I'm positive they are "non-refundable". You're also dropping BOA ?? Is there anyone you're not in a dispute with ?

Sent you a private message. You're not the only person on FW that speaks Snark. I'm a polyglot.

PennyPinchingPam said:   Sent you a private message. You're not the only person on FW that speaks Snark. I'm a polyglot.

Message initiated from topic: BEWARE Priceline

I have a lawyer on retainer. Weinstock, Friedman and Friedman. I pay a monthly fee so that whenever I have an issue like this, I don't HAVE to hire a lawyer. It costs me no more and no less than it would if I did NOT utilize them to deal with Priceline.

We'll, your positively wrong Textis what you are. You are also snarky. I'd be happy as a fat kid in a frosting factory to send you the screenshot of the cancellation declaring that I would not incur any penalties WHATSOEVER.

It must be nice being right all of the time. But you're not very clever. Can't win them all, I guess. Nowhere Textdid I mention a dispute with Bank of America. I just know they have the power to recoup my money from those charlatans, and they chose not to. They don't deserve my business.

Instead of hiring lawyers...you could bore them into submission with your nonsensical chatter.

If you used their "Name Your Own Price" service, the period under which you can cancel without penalty is zero.

If you want to warn people, you should provide a better explanation of what we're being warned about.

PennyPinchingPam said:   I used my bank debit card. Never again!

Absolutely. The ONLY reason to use a debit card is if you can't qualify for a credit card, or you've got so little control over your spending that you need the help in not spending money you don't have.

Them as in...?

Nonsensical because you speak Retardese and Snark and English is too difficult for you, or?

Excuse you. I have two credit cards, and three specialty store cards. Who are you to make these insane assumptions about someone you don't know? The anonymity of the Internet brings out a level of ignorance in people that they would never reveal in a face-to-face encounter. Speaking of which, would you EVER say that to my face? I doubt it. And I don't see what difference it makes how I paid. The fact remains that they charged me for something I never bought. And recently they changed a stay that I actually bought to a cancellation, which is just a blatant manipulation of the records.

To say that what they did is not a stretch. Corps like that rip the little people off all the time. That's how they become big and wealthy.

My warning would be not to use Priceline ever.

I have documentation that the cancellation went through without a hitch. I faxed it over, and all of a sudden, the stay that DID occur is missing from my record. It has been replaced my a stay that they are purporting I did not cancel in time. Well...where is my stay? And why is this mysterious booking appearing so recently?

because they know they're in the wrong, and it's easier to go into the system and change the data.

You need a retainer for a psychiatrist.
And I'll say that to your face.

Sigh. Who are all of you people?

The FatWallet Jerk Brigade? Go ahead, use Priceline. I don't give a flying fart what happens to your money.

PennyPinchingPam said:   Excuse you. I have two credit cards, and three specialty store cards.

Obviously no one realized they were dealing with someone with such financial sophistication.

Who uses Priceline in 2013? Here is a 2013 rate comparison with Priceline. They did 90 searches. Priceline with the lowest rate on 0 out of 90!

See the rate comparison here: http://travel-search-engines.com/2013-reviews-priceline-besttrav...

I thought PL was non-refundable. Did you use NYOP or Express Deals, because if you did, yup, you're screwed. But I have to say, their policy is pretty obvious when you book.

This is the most confusing post I have ever read. Here's my take on it.

1. The article you link to doesn't refer to NYOP, which totally rocks. I am very diligent when I travel and save 30 to 60% every time I travel. Yes, their published rates are expensive.

2. Did the OP ever get to the reason PL wouldn't refund him? They're not idiots, there's gotta be a reason, and he's leaving something out.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014