Is this a bad deal? Spirit Incentives Cruise

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Someone I know "won" a cruise. It wasnt one of those sit through the seminar deals, the cruise was won during a drawing. Spirit Incentives runs it.

We had to send in 5-6 travel dates, 30 days apart, 60 days out from the first date, etc., just to attempt to book the cruise, and had to mail out a $100 per person fee that would go towards the cruise "taxes". We waited about two months and got an email from Spirit Incentives.

We got a date to cruise approved. We had to pay an extra $235 each to set the dates and get the cruise. Unfortunately, my friend paid both of our fees right when the dates were approved.

We paid $335 each, $670 total. This is a 3 day cruise (Norwegian Cruise Lines) to the Bahamas, and it also includes roundtrip airfare to Florida and back for both people.

Ive never been on a cruise before...is this a bad deal? I really dont know if I am missing something here.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I don't think you got a bad deal at all considering airfare is included and the dates you got will work for you. These cruises can be had for super cheap(48 dollars a day or less) but once you add airfare, port taxes and fees, they can add up to much more. So not bad at all for your cost.

Where are you flying from? I think that makes a difference here.

Flying from BWI. Baltimore, MD.

They get horrible reviews on Yelp, but it is probably too late for you to worry about that. Is this company affiliated with Spirit Airlines? What airline are you booked on? If it is on Spirit, be aware of their excessive extra fees and the major debacle a flight cancellation can cause.

Airfare from BWI to FLL (my assumption) can be had for as low as $120, so it looks like you paid about $215 each for the cruise. A quick search shows Norwegian cruises at around $55-$60 per day, so lets say $180. Looks like you could have done a little better on your own, but it is hard to tell not knowing your dates, taxes, possible hidden fees, etc.

I don't think that the deal was horrible - but you definitely didn't "win" anything for "free"

2 tickets from Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale on Spirit would cost you about $250 - which means you are paying over $200/person for a 3 day cruise.

As others have posted you can get cruises for less.

If you get first class treatment then it may be worth it - but I have a feeling you will get steerage spirit airfare and standard cabin accommodations.

On the other hand - if you have a blast $650 is not excessive for a 3 day (all inclusive) Carribean excursion for 2.

If I wanted to cruise to the Bahamas, 7 days out of Baltimore, $450 (per person)
What you got, 3 days, plus air travel...4 days, 2 not very nice....$355 (per person)

What you got is available all day, every day.

There are a lot of good websites, but for a quick price check. Vacations To Go .com

iamaqt2 said:   I don't think you got a bad deal at all considering airfare is included and the dates you got will work for you. These cruises can be had for super cheap(48 dollars a day or less) but once you add airfare, port taxes and fees, they can add up to much more. So not bad at all for your cost.

Any deal that requires you to pay something to get a prize that you won is a bad deal.

DutchessPDX said:   iamaqt2 said:   I don't think you got a bad deal at all considering airfare is included and the dates you got will work for you. These cruises can be had for super cheap(48 dollars a day or less) but once you add airfare, port taxes and fees, they can add up to much more. So not bad at all for your cost.

Any deal that requires you to pay something to get a prize that you won is a bad deal.
And is not a win.

I believe you paid regular price of a cruise, these offers always have some sort of guidelines that I would not have the patience for. Norwegian usually has 3 day cruises from that area as low as $40 a night to as high as $120 a night depending on what season you're cruising (ie: spring break, holidays, or hurricane season). Either way, I hope you enjoy your vacation!

Thanks a lot for the insight I think Im just gonna go along with it this time.

I verified that we are flying on Spirit airlines. Can anyone let me know what to look out for as far as extra fees that were mentioned earlier? Thank you.

aares said:   Thanks a lot for the insight I think Im just gonna go along with it this time.

I verified that we are flying on Spirit airlines. Can anyone let me know what to look out for as far as extra fees that were mentioned earlier? Thank you.

Go to their website - they have them all there.

Basically - both carry on bags and checked bags will cost you. Carry on is something like $30 and checked is like $25. You are allowed a purse and small carry-on (goes under seat). Basically if you want to use their storage space you need to pay.

You need to pay to get seat assignments prior to boarding.

You need to pay to get a boarding pass if you don't print at home.

In short, if you plan to bring a paid carry on and get a seat assignment, their rates are only slightly lower than competition. If you are traveling heavy with a family you may end up paying more.

Full fee schedule:

http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

The biggest issue I have with Spirit is that they have less than 50 aircraft and no interline agreements with other airlines. You fly Spirit or you don't fly, so if your flight gets cancelled or substantially delayed, you may miss your cruise. Hopefully you have plenty of time between arrival and the cruise departure - or a guarantee since this was booked as a package.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014