Stuff to do in Atlanta?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I'm spending one day in Atlanta next month and am looking for suggestions on places to see and do with little kids.

So far we're going to tour Coke and visit underground atlanta. The aquarium and zoo are out as I would prefer to do that when I can devote more than just an hour or two. Same pretty much goes for other museums. Botanical gardens are also out as kids wont really appreciate it.

I'm looking for suggestions on historical sites, cool things to see, or other free or cheap 'can't miss seeing while your there' stuff

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We've decided to skip Underground and the coke tour but go into the Coke gift shop ... (more)

BMWLVR82 (Feb. 21, 2013 @ 9:31a) |

Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta - Drink all the Different Coke Products from all over the world, While your there!

Some are d... (more)

BigBoyMichigan (Apr. 06, 2013 @ 5:51p) |

eat the best bbq at Fat Matts...

watch Anthony Bourdain's Layover in Atlanta... get a good idea of eats/drinks in atalnta... (more)

wwon717 (Apr. 09, 2013 @ 10:33a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

MLK Memorial Site - must do and very historical
Linky

You can skip Underground Atlanta.. Waste of time.. Very ghetto..

The aquarium is very nice, but pricey.

Visit the capital?

Fat Matt's

Take extra napkins

go to the top of Stone Mtn.

try not getting robbed in Hotlanta.

If you are a foodie take a look at the Travel Channel website. Anthony Bourdain's show, the Layover,had some good suggestions on bars and restaurants.

Check www.tripadvisor.com. One of the top rated attractions in Atlanta is an electric car tour. I did this last year and really enjoyed it - you get to drive by a lot of the sites. Look online for discounts.....

I agree with Bizatch - Underground Atlanta isn't worth much time except maybe a lunch....

Skip Underground; there's nothing to see or do there. Tour CNN studios (right next to World of Coke, tour the state Capitol. Agree with MLK memorial site. How old are your kids? If they are small, try Legoland at Phipps Plaza. There's also the Children's Museum, within walking distance of world of Coke.

Oh wait a minute, scratch CNN center tour, there is a minimum age.

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

Get tix online day before (will call) and they are few $$ cheaper. Tour the mansion,Bobby Jones,Civil War and Olympics. Lots more but will take more time

Agree to Skip Underground Atlanta .... it's only worth going to if you're going to a Braves game and taking the shuttle.

An Atlanta must see with the wife/GF: Clermont Lounge

Coke Museum

Yung Joc and Gorilla Zoe would tell you to check out "Magic City" ... i hear you need to bring $5s rather than $1s though...

I always heard the strip clubs in Atlanta were fun.

MLK Center and Carter Center. Also Stone Mountain Park.

Sundial restaurant at the Westin downtown. See the best view of the city. And the kids will like the ride up the exterior elevator. Free ride up if you say you are going to the bar or restaurant. Skip underground its underground for a reason. World of coke is overpriced. Save your money for the jack and coke at the sundial. If the weathers good there are segway tours of downtown. Good restaurants and shopping in buckhead. Ikea is also close to downtown if you have never been to one.

Eat at The Varsity!! I second the Coke Museum, Stone Mountain and Buckhead. There is also The Legoland Discovery center in Buckhead too. The weather has been mild there this winter so the zoo would be good if you are coming from a colder climate. They also have tours of CNN. Just stay away from downtown.

Great strip club near underground Atlanta but forgot name.

Stay away from The Varsity. It's an underwhelming tourist trap.

the high musuem. oaklawn cemetary. tour turner field. avcoid undergraound. children's museum is underwhelming.

Kids? Yeah, the'll like the Coke tour...Be prepared at the end for the Around the World of Coke sample/taste bar. Sugar high for sure with the kids. Atlanta likely has the best aquarium I have ever been to. It easily takes a half a day but worth your time; very kid friendly too. CNN was worth the time but with youngin's, I'm thinking not...the escalator ride was worth the price of admission--geesh! Sundial Restaurant @ Westin great ride and view. Enjoy!

Look for a Krispy Kreme with a lit "HOT" sign and go in immediately for a glazed donut. Enjoy the sugar rush afterwards.

When the sugar rush is over, head to Fat Matt's as suggested earlier for the best BBQ ribs in Atlanta. It is a hole in the wall with a line out the door during lunch and dinners.

There is a puppet museum that is very kid friendly near the High Museum in midtown. There is a Gone with the Wind Museum in Marietta, about 20 miles north of the city. If you do visit Marietta, check out the Big Chicken (google it).

Avoid Underground ATL - I made that mistake when I first moved here. Hit up the aquarium. Its the BIGGEST in the WORLD! Stone mountain is also fun, but you missed the laser show (it is at night in fall/summer - and its awesome). Zoo is just OK, botanical garden is very nice, but you already said that its out. Varsity also sucks. Whatya have...Ill HAVE to stay away from that place (If youve been there, you'll get the reference). CNN, Coke, and the Aquarium are all right next to eachother, so you could hit 2 or all 3 in a day.

No mention of Johnny's Hideaway??

How old are the kids? Regardless, skip the ZOO and Underground - waste of time. Nothing to see anyways. CNN - good for adults or older kids. Coke is good - don't miss that. Kids love it. Aquarium is pretty good too, but takes some time to go through it. Well, so does Coke. I would say about 2 hours for Coke, 3 hours for Aquarium (that too rushing both). The Children Museum is decent. But if the place where you come from has a better one, you can skip it. If you have time left over, do the MLK site. Its ok-ok. But has historical value which the kids can talk about at school. Other than that, Atlanta has a very famous Museum for Puppetry. Its a hit or miss in my opinion. It gets raving reviews. But Id say it depends on the personality of children. All these things are pretty much in the center of city downtown and all. Park at one place and walk walk walk.

Stone Mountain is far from the city. Will take up too much time. Skip that if you only have one day. Westin Sundial as people have suggested I mean the view is great. But it is expensive to go up there to catch a view. Plus it is not like Atlanta is NY skyline. Is it really that big of a deal?

Dont forget to try some neat restaurant at night. Atlanta is pretty famous for dining scene -funky restaurants lots of it. Especially in midtown and Buckhead area. Youll find lots of kids friendly restaurants as well.

Agreed = Avoid Underground. It's just a mall in a hole in the ground, and too close to the truly dangerous South side of town. Beware, here be aggressive panhandlers.

Also agreed = The aquarium is a sight to behold. The food there is good too.

If it's warm, and your kids are little like less than 8 years old, and if you don't mind wet kids, check out the fountain in Olympic park.

If you want a little adventure and can drive an hour, go due North on GA-400 to Dahlonega, GA and find one of the panning for gold places. It's fun, but you won't get rich so don't have any illusions.

If it's April, Calloway Gardens is beautiful, but not really a little kids venue.

Finally, have lunch at the Buckhead Diner, and make sure you order the home-made blue cheese potato chips.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. VERY helpful. Kids are 1, 5, and 8.

I have now crossed underground atlanta off my list of possibilities. I'll have to look into the sundial although not sure if I'll do that this trip.

Puppet museum seems neat though. Kiddos might like that.

cyclorama - if you want some history

BADADVICE said:   Stay away from The Varsity. It's an underwhelming tourist trap.
Agreed. It's extremely crowded and the food isn't good. Heck, Sonic is better.

The Georgia Aquarium is nice, but was too crowded when I went. So many people at each exhibit, that you had to wait around to get close enough. Then you still couldn't see it all because of other people. This was a Saturday though.

I didn't go through the Coke museum but I can't imagine how it's worth it for the price. We did go in the gift shop at the exit though. Amazed at the people buying expensive junk just because it said Coke. FYI, it's not a real bottler. In the early 90's I think I went to the Coke museum when it was free, and near the Underground.

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield is just past Marietta.

Sweetwater Brewery (great beer) might be fun.

I've always wanted to go to Dahlonega, a place someone mentioned.

NE of Atlanta there's a Fry's and Marietta has a Micro Center.

Stay safe.

No mention of Pitty Pat's Porch for a lunch or dinner? http://www.pittypatsrestaurant.com/index.html

Coke Museum is a must, older kids will like it.

DO: Varsity for lunch. CNN tour, stone mountain, world of coke

DON'T: aquarium, underground, zoo, centennial park

I lived in Atlanta back in the late 70's and while I wouldn't eat at the Varsity every day, I'm glad to say I had the experience of being served by Flossie May the famous car hop at the Varsity once. That was a treat! Always had to have a Hot Dog, a PC and a Peach Pie. Lots of food for the $$.

We did climb Stone Mountain once. Never wanted to do that again though

Rode the Marta when it first opened. That was a fun way to see Atlanta but I don't know how much it's changed since then.

I moved away in 1980 and have never been back. I did go to Underground Atlanta but I was in my early 20's so it was interesting to me. I actually knew someone who lived in a part of that.

Went to the Zoo and was sad to see the animals there. Went ice skating a lot and that was fun as I was raised here in the South and had never been. Went to a Braves game once but I'm not a big baseball fan. I don't miss anything about Atlanta really. I used to miss the shopping a little.

I totally agree with skipping Underground...nothing below 5 points to be honest. If only for the day, I think it'll be a better use of time to actually include the Aquarium and Coca Cola tour. They're both in the same area and you can eat lunch in Olympic park. Stone mountain is completely out of the way. In traffic, it'll take a day just to get there, leave alone climbing the rock.

The Sundial Restaurant @ Westin great ride and view. My son and I always do this when we are downtown.

Definitely the aquarium.

And if you get a chance to go back sans kids, check out the Sweetwater Brewery and the Vortex.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We've decided to skip Underground and the coke tour but go into the Coke gift shop and look around, then go to the aquarium.

Skipping 2 Messages...
eat the best bbq at Fat Matts...

watch Anthony Bourdain's Layover in Atlanta... get a good idea of eats/drinks in atalnta

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014