• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
"You may be able to claim huge sums of cash for flight delays and flight cancellations under EU rules. And a recent landmark court ruling means you could get up to 515 per person, dating back to 2005.

Crucially, these rules only apply if the flight departed from an EU airport, or you were on an EU airline where the flight landed at an EU airport. Below, we take you through what you need to know and how to claim."

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Last time we were in Europe, we used LH for all intra-EU flights.

All left and arrive exactly on time -- damn German efficiency!

I did a ton of travel to Europe and the Middle East (where I connected through Europe) from 2007 - 2012, I'll have to check into this. Thanks!

jaimelobo said:   Last time we were in Europe, we used LH for all intra-EU flights.

All left and arrive exactly on time -- damn German efficiency!

We're booked on BA (LHR-FCO), Easyjet (ATH-BER), and AirBerlin (BER-ORD) in May. None of the flights have critical connections. Found this article while researching various deal opps for our trek. Hope it helps someone prospectively (or retroactively).

Thanks OP! 3 years ago I had a very bad experience with LOT Polish Airlines. Back then my complaint was rejected by them with the generic excuse that the delay was caused by circumstances beyond the carrier's control. Now thanks to this article I sent a complaint to CAA.

British Airways LHR-FCO was the worst of my flights. Nearly 3.5 hour delay. I look forward to some compensation!

ufgators2k said:   British Airways LHR-FCO was the worst of my flights. Nearly 3.5 hour delay. I look forward to some compensation!

Keep us posted.

BTW if our 12:45 AVIOS flight is cancelled, we'll get BA to put us on either a later BA or Alitalia flight. It matters not how late we arrive. If we get comped, it's found money to be spent on the remaining trek.

I submitted my claim to BA for my 3.5 hour delay. They said only the UK office handles it and it will be 6-8 weeks before they can respond. The USA office will call you back but you need to submit it through their online form.

ufgators2k said:   I submitted my claim to BA for my 3.5 hour delay. They said only the UK office handles it and it will be 6-8 weeks before they can respond. The USA office will call you back but you need to submit it through their online form.

I just got my bank transfer set up for the refund ($648 for 2 passengers, < 1500km). As a note, you will hear nothing until you get an e-mail from UK customer relations.

ufgators2k said:   ufgators2k said:   I submitted my claim to BA for my 3.5 hour delay. They said only the UK office handles it and it will be 6-8 weeks before they can respond. The USA office will call you back but you need to submit it through their online form.

I just got my bank transfer set up for the refund ($648 for 2 passengers, < 1500km). As a note, you will hear nothing until you get an e-mail from UK customer relations.

Thanks for posting the great news.

Wouldn't it be great if US Domestic flight delay compensation was this fair?

Thank you. Just received 1800 Euro compensation for delayed flight for three pessangers from Miami-London back in March-2011.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014