• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We are a family of six. We will be flying into New York to visit the sites for the first time. I'm looking for a centralized place to stay, that would accommodate us all, or that has decent priced rooms. Our budget is pretty tight. I need to stay under 200.00 per room if I reserve two. We will be in New York the last week of May for four nights.

I have a Priceline rewards card, so I'd like to book through Priceline, but if I can save money elsewhere I'll take it.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

shank (Mar. 12, 2013 @ 9:21p) |

I would not recommend Priceline as others have. You could get stuck with a room that accommodates 2 people only. This ... (more)

tomrgreen (Mar. 21, 2013 @ 3:23p) |

is Airbnb free to both parties on the deal?

SinglePapa (Mar. 22, 2013 @ 7:44a) |

• Also categorized in:

Your exact dates would be helpful to those that might want to donate time to solving your problem.

I highly recommend http://www.priceline.com/

2 adults 4 kids?
4 adults 2 kids?
6 adults?

Is the $200 per room for FOUR nights or PER night?

Did you also consider food budget, entertainment budget, and costs to transport 6 individuals?

In my experience the hotel is one of the cheapest parts of a trip, and the other costs add up a lot more.

What is the rest of your budget like? As far as a hotel budget good luck finding a decent place for $100(or 2 rooms at $50) a night that can accommodate 6 people comfortably...

Priceline only guarantees one bed. You can request by calling hotel but not guaranteed...you could be stuck having to get 3 rooms.

chavi said:   We are a family of six. We will be flying into New York to visit the sites for the first time. I'm looking for a centralized place to stay, that would accommodate us all, or that has decent priced rooms. Our budget is pretty tight. I need to stay under 200.00 per room if I reserve two. We will be in New York the last week of May for four nights.

I have a Priceline rewards card, so I'd like to book through Priceline, but if I can save money elsewhere I'll take it.

Book a hostel stay as a group with Hostelling International - New York. It is smack dead in the middle of Manhattan, right next to premium hotels going going for as much as $1,000/night.

Individual beds are $55/night. Call in advance and see if you can get a group discount.

Group info here.

And remember, this is a youth hostel, which means that you'll have to buy your own food to cook in the shared kitchen and there is no room service. I'd advise you to bring your own pans, paper plates, plasticware, reusable cups, mini toiletries and shower shoes, etc. Still, at $55/night, it sure beats paying $500/night per person (median price of a hotel in NYC) or $150/night per person (media price of a budget hotel). The HI hostels are well-maintained and have a security-conscious staff. You will be given a room with a door that requires a security pin and the hostel itself may require a pin to enter the main room at night. No alcohol is a allowed on site and males and females stay in separate quarters, unless you are traveling together as a group.

Reviews here.

Some HI hostels provide free breakfast during certain hours, free tours, free group events and free Wi-Fi. Some even provide free parking (Call in advance). The last two hostels I stayed in were renovated historic mansions.

Try Craiglist if u dont find anything cheap..

I'll make a specific best value recommendation for a brand name hotel in a location very convenient to Manhattan at a far cheaper price. I never stayed there because I live in NYC, and work a 15 minute walk from this hotel, but as a La Quinta, it should meet standards. It's an inexpensive hotel on a buzy street (traffic and stores) in a residential area a couple of blocks from the subway which will take less than 15 minutes from midtown Manhattan. It's significantly cheaper than hotels in Manhattan.
http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ6014&propId=6014

Thanks to everyone for the input! We are a group of four adults and two children. We arrive on May 25th and depart on Wednesday. I budgeted 200.00 per room, to rent two rooms. I can pay 400.00 per night for a bigger accommodation. I have budgeted for other expenses separately. I'm looking into La Quinta (Geico or Bank of America Discount available). If not, I'll look into the hostels. I'd like to have a spot to make a small meal to best save some cash in such an expensive city.

it's unbelievable how under-rated subletting/swapping is. It takes only a few minutes to skim thru internet listings: free websites, immediate direct contact with owner. I subletted out for every vacation that we'd driven out to FL, and never charged more than $99/day for our 3-bedroom apartment. And other expenses don't have to be outrageous in NYC: I helped guests with practically half price groceries. Our street parking is safe and free. Weekend 4-day car rental right now is $7/day at one of the airports (Feb.28-Mar.4 you pay $60 including all taxes for 4 day unlimited mileage car).

My personal opinion is that couples should stick with hotels. But big families - no way. Just rent an apartment. Somewhat counter-intuitive: you get more supply during school breaks (supposedly high season), when NYC families in fact leave for vacations and offer to swap/sublet out!

this sounds like a good rate. always mind taxes+any other charges with hotels. And of course there is no parking there.

That's why I emphasize direct instant contact with the owner. Is that correct that all websites mentioned in Orlando topic charge at least one of the parties? While free ads obviously result in no charges to anyone

Subletting is a great option, but I'm afraid of deals falling through. I need a reliable site. Which site do you use to sublet out?

I hope you will get great deals but be sure first that these deals are not fake.Sometimes people offer you best deals but when you arrive the whole story is changed.So first ensure that where you are going is true to their terms and services.

as I pointed out, "reliable sites" charge - unless someone knows otherwise.

I have been a party to many private deals, and the success is fully in the hands of both parties. Deals that fell thru (and I've never found myself on the short side of that) were only thru inexperience/inaptness of one of the parties. In this day and age of tremendous personal data accessable on line in minutes, diligence shouldn't be a problem. But leasee should be ready to post security deposit. No landlord should ever let anyone in without collecting such. On the other hand, "cleaning fee" is a rip-off that shouldn't be asked upfront

SinglePapa-Can you suggest a subletting site?

I don't know a single subletting site that has no charges; maybe someone does?

I've only dealt via free local ads

DSJ-Thanks for the link. Is the Barclay rate with a corporate discount? I'm not getting the rate.

I just did a quick check @ Priceline for their express deals, and there are many many many hotels for under your budget for your dates. (even 4*)

Do you really need to be staying in a hotel in Manhattan? If not you can search for a hotel just on the outskirts of the city (Long Island City) and get a room for $100 dollars a night. It's only 3 train stops before you get to the city.

chavi said:   DSJ-Thanks for the link. Is the Barclay rate with a corporate discount? I'm not getting the rate.

YGPM with instructions.

chavi said:   SinglePapa-Can you suggest a subletting site?

AirBNB. I used it when I went with my wife and Son to SF and it was WAY better than paying for a hotel. We were in a centralized apartment, easy access to everything, for a fraction of the cost of a hotel.

Edit: Depending on the city you have to pay hotel tax. But I had a truly great experience and wouldn't hesitate to use it again (though I'm sure it can be hit or miss).

Check out the Travel Inn Hotel. Midtown Manhattan. Good location. And kid friendly. Listed on "Best Hotels Under $100 in NYC" (although it is NOT $100): http://www.besthotelsunder100.com/nyc-hotels-under-100/

Scroll to the bottom to see it. This place has FREE PARKING. Not sure if you're driving. If you are just the parking will save a lot of money over 4 days.

I would suggest staying in Seacacus, NJ. The Holiday Inn has free parking. The bus stop is right out front and the ride into Manhattan takes just about 10 min. Kids eat free at the hotel and the hotel is situated in a center with various resturants and fast food options.

greling said:   chavi said:   We are a family of six. We will be flying into New York to visit the sites for the first time. I'm looking for a centralized place to stay, that would accommodate us all, or that has decent priced rooms. Our budget is pretty tight. I need to stay under 200.00 per room if I reserve two. We will be in New York the last week of May for four nights.

Book a hostel stay as a group with Hostelling International - New York. It is smack dead in the middle of Manhattan, right next to premium hotels going going for as much as $1,000/night.

Not really. HI NY is on the Upper West Side (104th street) not smack dead in the middle of Manhattan. Great place to stay (maybe not for a family though), but it's a 15 minute subway ride from midtown.

VRBO has full apartments for under $400/nt that will fit all of you. For example this onesays it's close to trains,has good reviews, and is $300/nt plus fees.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful input. I tried renting out a small place, but our group size always brought the rate up substantially. Hostelling also posed a cost issue. I used Priceline to reserve a couple of rooms in Manhattan.

have u noticed any hidden load with Priceline bidding? I always see that final price INCLUDING FEES is more than initially expected

Yes..I have, which is why I try to avoid the bidding option.

Priceline? Is this 1999?

Priceline is awful for shopping for deals. They post a BS "nightly rate". To see the full rate you have to click the link. Then enter your first and last name. And then click again. You have to do this EVERY TIME and on EVERY hotel. It sucks.

And so do the rates on Priceline.

Priceline works for me best whe I use fatwallet and my Priceline rewards card.

May I ask "What do you save on a Priceline Rewards Card"?

You get Cash Back points to use at Priceline or to pay the card.

You can use the friends & family link for Holiday Inn & related hotels:

Just keep using Steve Sickel

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/ihg/hot...216-_-AM26648&

I would not recommend Priceline as others have. You could get stuck with a room that accommodates 2 people only. This is not always the case, but is riskiest in large cities like NYC. Have you tried Airbnb? I have my place listed and I rent it pretty cheap... but I'm not in New York.

is Airbnb free to both parties on the deal?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014