Need help finding deal Los Angeles to Costa Rica

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi, I am looking to travel to Costa Rica, Liberia (LIR airport code)in July with a flexible leave date between 7/7-7/8 and stay for about 5-7 days. I would be willing to travel out of any So Cal airport (Burbank, LAX, Long Beach, Santa Ana John Wayne, San Diego, etc...) Best prices I've seen for round trip have been $795pp. I just needed some help if anyone can find any type of deals, on air only or even hotel/air package.

Thanks,

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

SJO is around $200 cheaper for the same flights, why not fly there?

Not that long of a drive to save $200 (or more if more than one).

Do you have frequent flyer miles with any major US carrier - all should be able to get you from LAX to LIR with only 1 stop. I just checked AA.com - mileagesaaver (17.5k miles) are currently available July 8-11 outbound from LAX, July 16-17 for the return. I would consider this a good use of miles, as you are getting better than $0.02 per mile.
If you play the travel reward credit card game, there are several options currently available that will earn 35k miles with little to no minimum spend. www.frugaltravelguy.com is a good place to start.

jaimelobo said:   SJO is around $200 cheaper for the same flights, why not fly there?

Not that long of a drive to save $200 (or more if more than one).

Looks more like $150 pp. We did not rent a car when flying in to LIR, staying on the Pacific coast, will be necessary for the 2.5+ hour drive to SJO. The new toll road ends well short of SJO, requiring a fair amount of driving through cities and town, on beat up city streets. Worth considering only if you plan to rent a car, travel around a bit - or as Jaime suggested, several people in your group.

Have you priced TACA?
I always get better price and or rewards from Los Angeles.
They even convert Am Ex and Am Airlines miles.
My aunt lives there and says the politics are the best in the world for the Mountains

LIR used with package trip, not easy to find good deal for LIR.

Any suggestion on good resorts for family with young and teen kids ?

greencal said:   LIR used with package trip, not easy to find good deal for LIR.

Any suggestion on good resorts for family with young and teen kids ?

Most major chains, timeshares have properties in the area; suggest sorting through Trip Advisor, check out deal site like Travelzoo and Cheap Carribean.

I stay in Hilton properties for business travel, have Diamond status, so we tend to favor Hilton properties, use points for leisure travel. They have a very nice all inclusive, lots of families there (Papagayo Resort, in Guanacaste), but the best part (for us) is a separate pool / bar / beach for adults - quiet, relaxing - NO KIDS!!! We also stayed at the doubletree Resort in Puntarenas - offered lots of family activities, separate adult pool - with swim up bar. VERY different properties, enjoyed both, will likely go back to the Papagayo at some point.

Thanks,

Got suggestion for Hilton Papayago garden view……………$5,210 /7 Nights for family of 5!for High session -December

Have to get ride from SJO

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014