• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Looking at doing a family cross country trip - Ideally renting one way, but would consider doing a train trip including a couple of stops along the way if possible. And returning via air.

tips, ideas?

TIA.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What have you come up with so far?

Kids enjoy science museums? If so, join your local ASTC member museum, then get free admission to science museums all across the country.

We join our local museum for $75 each year. We take month long summer camping trips each year and end up hitting around 10 museums on each trip.

ASTC Passport Program

Are you leaving by May 31? If so, might be worth it to fly to FL, pick up a Hertz one way deal. Drop in CA and fly home.

My father lives in FL. We're going to do a 10 day trip from FL to CA next month.

Bizatch said:   Are you leaving by May 31? If so, might be worth it to fly to FL, pick up a Hertz one way deal. Drop in CA and fly home.

My father lives in FL. We're going to do a 10 day trip from FL to CA next month.

Thanks - I assume that's when the one-way specials from FL are going from - not ideal, but something to consider anyway. Too soon unfortunately. At the same time, I need to consider the weather as I know it will get too hot along the way.

Regarding what to visit, I have tween/teens and not much into museums. For example, if we go thru the northern states, they'll want to hit Chicago and the Sears building or the Mall of America. If along the southern states, Rt 66 (even if for a bit). Others would be Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I don't expect to be more than a day at any of those places.

They like road trips - they prefer we drive from NJ to FL and stay twice along the way instead of flying. The drive is part of the vacation, even if I do 95% of the driving... But we've done it so many times we all want to venture west...

I could do a round trip if I take a month+ off and just play by ear - drive west for about 10 days, stay in the west coast for another week and drive back for about 10 days. One way via northern states, and the other via the southern. This would have to be a summer venture. If I plan this, then 3 weeks is plausible, even if only doing 5 days in the west coast.

IE, drive south west towards Atlanta, and then head west until I get to LA. Then drive north to SF or even Washington State, and then head back east? Load the van and go...

Or do a train/plane trip to the west instead of car/plane?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions...

I like to plan and have a rough route in mind. Then I grab the RSS feeds for all the Groupon cities I'll be traveling through. Grab restaurant Groupons that pop up and look good. Sometimes grab a good attraction Groupon.

Saving just $35/day this way saves us a cool $1k on our 1 month trips..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014