• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello;

Allow me to preface this topic with a simple acknowledgment that I fully grasp severity of the situation I have put myself in and thoroughly understand that Priceline rules and regulations do, indeed, provide clear indication that purchasing a vacation package through them is a non-refundable (seemingly non-transferable?) sale. Unfortunately, I've come to understand this all just a little too late. So, please only provide helpful advice or assistance. I'm beating myself up enough that I do not need to further add salt to the already blistery wound.

Does anyone have some experience with (or a good strategy to) Priceline.com in regards to seeking a refund for a trip I cannot take in 5 months?

I purchased the "insurance", but I was foolish enough to have not read the fine print. Priceline offers NO refunds / cancellations, and if you purchased the insurance you must file a claim, but ONLY if you fall under their coverages (which I do not), including: 1.) a sickness which debilitates you severely enough for a doctor to write a letter to Priceline insisting you cannot fly, 2.) the death of an immediate family member at the time of or just before the trip, 3.) loss of employment (must be at the job for at least 3 years), 4.) being directly involved in a documented automotive accident at the time of or just before the trip, 5.) having your home made uninhabitable due to a list of unfortunate events, 6.) the airline changes or cancels and the flight...

It goes on, but ultimately ends with the final coverages which involve having a terrorist attack or natural disaster happen in the destination city. Doubtable, but...anyway.

I wouldn't be so upset about it and would almost be willing to bite the bullet, but there's shy of $3,000 of my money at stake, so its just a little too hard to swallow.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I did get out of one. No lying or anything. It was a name your price and it was not where I thought itd be on the map.... (more)

antigobuxgo5 (Jun. 04, 2013 @ 10:15p) |

Just fyi I booked 3 nights at the Cosmo in Las Vegas at a crazy low bid of $46 a night. Then found out later we could no... (more)

trajanc (Jun. 05, 2013 @ 10:43a) |

You might be able to move the dates or get a credit card directly from the hotel.

You can usually transfer the reservat... (more)

erikaem (Jun. 13, 2013 @ 11:58p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

when did you purchase the package? if you are within 7 or 14 days from the purchase, there are travel insurances that provide "cancel for any reason" coverage

Oh man! I purchased the package on Feb. 9th. Technically, it's still within 30 days, but 7 to 14 days I've long since passed. The trip is in 5 months (July 17th). It seems one of my few hopes, aside catching the plague, is that the flights change or are cancelled somehow. I appreciate your help though! Thank you.

how about honesty and asking for a one time repreive/forgiveness? i've done that before with Priceline but that was years ago. and, since it's been close to a month since the purchase, it's gonna be kinda hard to come up with something legitimate (excuse wise anyway).

The cancel any reason policy here:
http://www.insuremytrip.com/cfar.html

according to the Travelex policy myst be purchased within 30 days. So you may still be able to purchase the coverage.

If you do, I suggest you purchase and wait a few weeks to cancel.

What can of package did you buy?

Can you resell it on Craigslist?

OP states it is non-transferable.

Wouldn't want them to commit retail fraud, now would we? Or identity fraud?

caramelito said:   What can of package did you buy?

Can you resell it on Craigslist?

vanmichaels said:   Hello;

Allow me to preface this topic with a simple acknowledgment that I fully grasp severity of the situation I have put myself in and thoroughly understand that Priceline rules and regulations do, indeed, provide clear indication that purchasing a vacation package through them is a non-refundable (seemingly non-transferable?) sale. Unfortunately, I've come to understand this all just a little too late. So, please only provide helpful advice or assistance. I'm beating myself up enough that I do not need to further add salt to the already blistery wound.

Does anyone have some experience with (or a good strategy to) Priceline.com in regards to seeking a refund for a trip I cannot take in 5 months?

I purchased the "insurance", but I was foolish enough to have not read the fine print. Priceline offers NO refunds / cancellations, and if you purchased the insurance you must file a claim, but ONLY if you fall under their coverages (which I do not), including: 1.) a sickness which debilitates you severely enough for a doctor to write a letter to Priceline insisting you cannot fly, 2.) the death of an immediate family member at the time of or just before the trip, 3.) loss of employment (must be at the job for at least 3 years), 4.) being directly involved in a documented automotive accident at the time of or just before the trip, 5.) having your home made uninhabitable due to a list of unfortunate events, 6.) the airline changes or cancels and the flight...

It goes on, but ultimately ends with the final coverages which involve having a terrorist attack or natural disaster happen in the destination city. Doubtable, but...anyway.

I wouldn't be so upset about it and would almost be willing to bite the bullet, but there's shy of $3,000 of my money at stake, so its just a little too hard to swallow.

Are you open to rescheduling? If you work directly with the hotel, they can sometimes accomodate a change in date even on a Priceline purchase. Though no guarantee, this is a big YMMV depending on the hotel.

the exclusions that you mention are not as difficult to provide proof of to meet the terms as you might think:

"including: 1.) a sickness which debilitates you severely enough for a doctor to write a letter to Priceline insisting you cannot fly, 2.) the death of an immediate family member at the time of or just before the trip, 3.) loss of employment (must be at the job for at least 3 years), 4.) being directly involved in a documented automotive accident at the time of or just before the trip, 5.) having your home made uninhabitable due to a list of unfortunate events, 6.) the airline changes or cancels and the flight"

I found this guide from an ex-Priceline employee with some suggestions:

http://christinaeba.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/how-to-get-out-of-p...

i had called Priceline 4 yrs ago for a plane ticket that I mistakenly bought 1 day too late (departure date 1 day later) but they would not budge - i called within minutes of the bid acceptance. I lost $550 on that one. after 2 calls, they robo-blocked my number and then blocked with my order# so there was no way to call in!

havent used Priceline since then.

if you got a sinus infection, your doctor would likely write a note that you could not fly.

"Death of a family member"? Hmmmm

bopc1996 said:   "Death of a family member"? HmmmmDoes a pet turtle qualify as a family member?

Simple. What is the least costly ailment that would keep you from flying? Go to doctor, give him those/your symptoms. Ask him to write letter to Priceline. Total out of pocket about $200.

Don't travel and Dispute your charge right away!

ITT: People who condone illegal activity and insurance fraud. Good to know that there's so much integrity in this forum.

I have to say, I'm happy that I posted this topic. I know that I put myself in the situation and that's a stick situation in and of itself, but I truly appreciate the constructive advice so far. It's still been less than 30 days, so maybe I can still talk to a human at Priceline and be honest. My only fear is if that doesn't work they'll notate my account should I call back.

Hmm. A lot of things to consider. Thank you, everyone. If anyone else stumbles upon this and has further ideas or experience, please share. It's incredibly helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much about them noting your account. What does that do if they aren't going to give you the money anyways?

How clearly do they advertise the trip insurance. It sounds like you might have misunderstood what you were buying. If that is the case, then get aggressive and claim false advertising.

You can always buy the other travel insurance posted above or have a doctor write you a note. (Who cares if you called in previously. If you meet their strict guidelines they need to refund your money.)

I would be willing to bet that the flight time(s) of at least one of your flights will be changed within that 5 months (most likely only 10-15 minute change, but maybe more). Does the insurance policy state a specific amount of time the flight must change to be able to get refunded?

My girlfriend (now wife) and I were supposed to fly to Dublin, Ireland in mid-September of 2001.

For terrorism paranoia reasons we didn't want to go, so we got her surgeon that just removed a lipoma from her leg to write a note. Travel insurance reimbursed us completely minus the cost of the insurance. Due to her medical condition, it was a judgment call as to whether we should've gone or not but with 911, that helped us make up our mind not to go (stupid in hindsight).

seems sketchy that you would post this. State your reason why you cannot go. Buyer remorse? You opened up the topic.

I was out $477 recently for a Priceline room that i booked that couldn't be cancelled. Called them and pleaded to no avail. Oh well.

Didn't try anything nasty like pretend there was a death in the family. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I did get out of one. No lying or anything. It was a name your price and it was not where I thought itd be on the map. They booked me at a Marriott and would not budget until I called the hotel manager and they told me they would tell Priceline that i could cancel. Priceline called them to confirm and then let me out of it. I was stunned.

Just fyi I booked 3 nights at the Cosmo in Las Vegas at a crazy low bid of $46 a night. Then found out later we could not travel on those dates. I have made a lot of Priceline bookings. First time I'd ever called looking for a refund. Told them the truth, that we wanted to rebid on different dates. They had me hold then came back and gave me a 2/3 refund with the remainder to be held as a credit I could use if I rebooked for different dates less a $25 cancellation fee. So the witheld credit portion was quite small. Still given it was my error I was happy.

You might be able to move the dates or get a credit card directly from the hotel.

You can usually transfer the reservation to somebody else, thus allowing you to sell it (at a discount).

Give goroomer or cancelon a try. They're free to list and you pay only if you resell.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014