REQUEST - Need Help from Portland, ME to NJ.

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello All --

I'm obviously a new member to the forum. I'm really glad I found it!

I have a travel challenge before me that's a little unique, and after a couple hours of looking over various articles on here, across the net, videos on youtube, and discount sites, I'm frankly overwhelmed and slightly frustrated. I hope it's not too ridiculous that I'm posting about things that might already be answered on the forums here, but I'm just too overwhelmed to trust my own judgement at this point, and thought I'd give posting a try.

Here's what I'm looking at:

My cousin is getting married at the end of May, in New Jersey.
I currently live in Portland, Maine.

What I'm hoping to do is to:

1) Reserve a room at the hotel (that has a 10-dollar-off rate in a special block of reserved rooms for the wedding party) for 2 nights (please Note, I'm wondering if I can get something cheaper than the wedding-party rate, aka. I'm open to not booking in that block of rooms.)

2) Book a rental car for the drive, driving down there on a Sunday, and driving back on Tuesday. (these are odd days, which adds to my confusion about what to do....things I've read about is limited to either Weekends or Weekdays...so I'm not sure what would be a good idea when starting the trip on a Sunday).

What I know so far:

Firstly, I have looked at the hotel website that she's reserved, and it's lowest rate is the same as the one listed on Priceline.

Secondly, I have looked at several pieces of advice about renting a car. There is an Enterprise around the corner from where I live. I read this article here, and it seems to be the most helpful and accurate (I've compared the claims to many commenters) that I've found:
"9 Confessions From A Former Enterprise Rental Salesman" on Consumerist.com
http://consumerist.com/2007/03/13/9-confessions-from-a-former-en...

(I keep in mind that those nay-saying comments on articles like that one about how their experience with OTHER companies was better, especially the ones later on after it's been on the net for a while, are probably people payed by companies to nay-say, ie. spambot-types. Obviously company managers and owners aren't going to want an opportunity like that to go to waste, or to have the reputation outed like that without them trying to do something about it.)

I don't wanna lie really, nor do I need to in my situation anyway. I would, however, like to keep this trip as cheap as HUMANLY possible, because my partner and I are definitely low-income people, and it's pretty tough for us to figure out what to do here.

I also want to state that I did look at the "rental car discount/coupon thread" sticky and...wow did it confuse me more. There isn't really any translation about what all that stuff means and how it's really intended to be used....I don't have anyone in my personal life to ask about this.

I was considering calling the hotel and trying to haggle. I assume that's a bad idea, but I really don't know.

Thanks for any advice you could offer!

PS. No, I am not traveling by plane, and the trains are just as bad now, because of several reasons. My boycott has already commenced where that is concerned and I'm not changing my mind about it. ><

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

tealightful said:   ...

1) Reserve a room at the hotel (that has a 10-dollar-off rate in a special block of reserved rooms for the wedding party) for 2 nights (please Note, I'm wondering if I can get something cheaper than the wedding-party rate, aka. I'm open to not booking in that block of rooms.)

2) Book a rental car for the drive, driving down there on a Sunday, and driving back on Tuesday. (these are odd days, which adds to my confusion about what to do....things I've read about is limited to either Weekends or Weekdays...so I'm not sure what would be a good idea when starting the trip on a Sunday).

...I also want to state that I did look at the "rental car discount/coupon thread" sticky and...wow did it confuse me more. There isn't really any translation about what all that stuff means and how it's really intended to be used....I don't have anyone in my personal life to ask about this.
Welcome to FW Travel Forum, a little friendly advice since you are new.

This forum is not staffed by Travel Agents, just other users looking to give/get advice and exchange thoughts on travel. The quickest way to "not" get help is to "not" show any effort on your part. That said, have you -

Even tried to find alternate hotel pricing with any of the dozens of search sites on the web? If so what did you find? For that matter, what is the hotel/price of the room in the block that the wedding has reserved ($10 off, doesn't really mean anything)

What prices have you found so far for a car?

"My cousin is getting married at the end of May, in New Jersey"... isn't very specific. If you want help. Where in NJ? What dates?

Yes, the Car Rental code thread is long, but there is no magic to it, you can either just check some travels sites and book the cheapest or spend time punching codes and maybe save a few bucks, depends on the effort you want to put in and what your time is worth. Generally, you can use a travel search engine to narrow down which companies are probably the cheapest and then see if you can beat the price with some of the codes. -- i.e., if Dollar, Alamo, and Advantage are all around $100 and Hertz and National are over $300; it is unlikely that any code is going to get Hertz or National cheaper than the others.

Hey Tealighful -
Car = Assuming you can get to the Portland ME airport - Go on Priceline and do a "Name your own price" bid for a car for your dates. Start around a bid of $10 per day. You'll have that wrapped up in no time and move on.

Worst case scenario - Hotwire.com has rates around $22 a day + tax.

Hotel - Call them and see what they'll do for you. Happens all the time.

Hi,
My family is from Portland. What about greyhound? Not knowing where in NJ you are traveling to, you maybe able to use the bus.

Do a quick online search for the lowest rate at the hotel. See if it beats the deal that the wedding party has. If it does. Book it. You can take it step further if the online site has a better rate and call the hotel to 'haggle'. For me this is just wasted time. If the deal online is good the hotel is going to say "OK...we'll beat it by another 15%". I'd just book it online.

However, maybe the block of rooms they reserved is close together (if you want to be close to others in the wedding party).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014