• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_23275734/stranded-swedish-famil...

Here's the Sheriff's press release:

Stranded Swedish family of 7 heads back to Sweden, Assisted by LASD Carson & RFB
On Friday, May 17, 2013 at approximately 4:30 a.m. a Swedish family of 7 were walking West Bound on Sepulveda Blvd, approaching Normandie and the 110 Freeway. A local citizen called Carson Sheriff's station and indicated that a male with the family was asking for help near the 900 block of West Sepulveda Blvd. Carson Sheriff's Deputies responded and made contact with the family and transported the family to the Carson Sheriff's Station. Caslav (Father), Alexander (Mother), and their two ten year old twins, 14 year old daughter, 17 year old daughter and 2 year old daughter were extremely upset and unable to communicate with Deputies because of a language barrier.

Reserve Forces Bureau Sgt. Britta Kjellstrand, who speaks Swedish, responded to Carson Station and interpreted for the family and was able to find out that the family had traveled from Sweden for a family graduation. Sgt. Kjellstrand spent over 3 hours talking to the Trandafilovic family and gave them "good old American" hamburgers and fries that afternoon. The Sheriff's Department assessed that the family were not victim's of crime, however had depleted their whole financial savings on return trip tickets back to Stockholm, Sweden due to a family emergency. They had travel arrangements back to Sweden on Sunday, May 19, 2013 but had found themselves without a place to stay, food or money. Sgt. Kjellstrand reached out to Sheriff's Department Reserve Forces and was able to obtain funds for hotel accommodations, food and transportation to the airport for the family. Reserve Assistant Sheriff Jerry Goddard also contributed to the family to ensure their well being. Sgt. Kjellstrand and Reserve Assistant Sheriff Goddard transported the family to a local hotel in Carson, stayed in direct contact with them and made sure they were safe. The Trandafilovic family was exhausted after experiencing 5 days of travel, a time change, a family emergency, and no money.

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 Sgt. Kjellstrand spent the afternoon with the family and had pizza with them as the kids swam in the hotel pool. On Sunday, May 19, 2013 at approximately 12:00 p.m. the Trandafilovic family were transported to LAX airport for their return to Stockholm, Sweden.

"Helping this family was possible through the collaborative effort of the Sheriff's Carson Station, International Liaison Unit, Headquarters Bureau, and Reserve Forces Bureau. Being born a Swedish citizen and now an American citizen, I understand the Swedish culture and the difficulty that this family has endured, especially not knowing the English language. We were glad to be able to bring some security to a devastated family of seven through the kindness and generosity of others," said Sgt. Kjellstrand.
http://local.nixle.com/alert/5004138/

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My thought exactly.... I'm sure IKEA could spare a few cheap bed.... heck, let them sleep and live in their demo area fo... (more)

SteelRing (Jun. 04, 2013 @ 6:29p) |

This whole story doesn't sound right.

I wonder what this "family emergency" was causing all of them to need to book a tr... (more)

burgerwars (Jun. 08, 2013 @ 4:58p) |

sure seems like it... nice story.. the family planned for a vacation in another country and donno how to plan or enough ... (more)

machos (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 3:43p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Warms the heart.

-From a fellow softie.

You are pushing the boundaries of even travel "discussion", I must say. [how does one insert that 'confuzzled' smiley?] Chuckle.

This is how you get a free hotel and food.

JohnPg82 said:   This is how you get a free hotel and food.

and show the world that the Swedes can be as poor at planning as any US resident can be.

Seriously, why is this not in Off-Topic?

Very nice, but I guess they don't have much to do around there if they actually create a press release for this

What happend to all the money, did they not come on round trip tickets?

Mickie3 said:   JohnPg82 said:   Q]

and show the world that the Swedes can be as poor at planning as any US resident can be.

Q]

The name Trandafilovic is NOT Swedish, unlike the reserve cop whose name Britta Kjellstrand, definitely is. These are likely some type of immigrant Slavs, who happen to live in Sweden. While tempting, I will refrain from making comments based on this information.

The better question is, who in their right mind spends all of their money to pay change fees to fly home early? If there was really such a family emergency, perhaps one of the adults could have flown home as opposed to 7 people paying change fees.

I like how they said emergency to cover up a mistake. My guess is that they changed it earlier because they were short on funds and couldn't get a ticket for that day and had to still wait a few days. I am glad that they got help because the kids shouldn't have to suffer because of a mistake the parents most likely made.

Poor planning. Based on their first and last names, they are not Swedish, but from former Yugoslavia. That's why there was poor planning But I am glad they got helped, good job!

Sleep in the airport, and 1 day with out food. Himmm.... What FW person hasn't done or considered doing this at some point.
Then again America is the land of handouts.

My question is why didn't they leave the kids at home, with relatives, or higher a sitter for a few days. That would have had to been cheaper than flying them 1/2 around the world. Then they would have had more money for unexpected events.

Airline....greedy...but at least they don't discriminate based on your nationality ...will screw you regardless where you are from.
Sheriff's office...good samaritan...but why don't they do the same for the homeless on the street? I don't see them taking homeless to a hotel and feeding them pizza.
Swedish family...clever...like they don't know how to use Google Translate and VISA...deserve FW award for finding a new way to get a free hotel and food
They will probably go back to Sweden and write a book on how to travel in USA without spending a dime on food and hotel. May become a best seller. LOL

Glad it worked out for them.

Don't leave home without a credit card.

They came for a family graduation. Whose graduation? Why didn't they ask the family they came to see for help? How did they get around before with the language barrier?

ALL SWEDISH PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH BETTER THEN HALF AMERICAN,THE FAMILY IS FROM EX YUGOSLAVIA,PROBABLY SERBIA AND THEY HAVE (SAVING )MONEY.THEY HAVE NICE AND CHEAP VACATION AND THEY DONT HAVE FAMILY IN USA

Most of the Swedish people under the age of 45 whom I've known have spoken American English like they were one of the kids on the Brady Bunch --
or some other character in a mainstream, middle-America, middle-class sitcom (I haven't watched much TV in a really, really long time! ).

With idioms and accents that were so accurate that it was kind of spooky.

But older ones may not know that much English.

---
I am glad that the police decided to help a clueless family, but the story did strike me as a typical sort of American over-reaction and smug self-congratulation about a specific instance of over-the-top generosity to a few random 'victims' who weren't actually in a life-threatening situation --- when all around there are countless others who really are seriously destitute, and ignored.

It's as if telling a unique story and pursuing it well beyond normal limits (watching them eat pizza and swim at a pool is not great use of anyone's policework time) is more valued and newsworthy than making small, quiet, inexpensive gestures that, one day at a time, are the difference between life and death to scores of unwashed, destitute, unglamourous, un-foreign people (or not the right kind of foreign people).

It strikes me as quite shallow. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. But I also really do understand that everyone involved had good intentions and acted in a heartfelt manner.

Why not go to IKEA asking for help, so many IKEAs in LA area.

These guys ain't Swedes. They're migrants from the Balkans, likely Bosnian. Trying to save a buck, went on a cheap vacation to USA, and using their adopting country as an excuse for pity. Poor planning at its finest here.

justin2011 said:   ALL SWEDISH PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH BETTER THEN HALF AMERICAN,THE FAMILY IS FROM EX YUGOSLAVIA,PROBABLY SERBIA AND THEY HAVE (SAVING )MONEY.THEY HAVE NICE AND CHEAP VACATION AND THEY DONT HAVE FAMILY IN USA
Half American is very hard to speak, so... Also, why did it take over 3 hours of talking for them to get their stuff?

pentaxFan said:   Why not go to IKEA asking for help, so many IKEAs in LA area.My thought exactly.... I'm sure IKEA could spare a few cheap bed.... heck, let them sleep and live in their demo area for a few days, use the bathroom, eat at the cafe, nobody would've noticed a thing.

This whole story doesn't sound right.

I wonder what this "family emergency" was causing all of them to need to book a trip back earlier, leaving them penniless and wandering the streets of a not very safe area of L.A. Couldn't just one or two head back early to take care of this "emergency" leaving money available for the rest? Being homeless and starving in L.A. sounds like a bigger emergency to me. For all seven of them to go to "someone's graduation," traveling all the way from Sweden, and for the person who graduated (and their family) not willing to help them one bit, makes no sense. The police were scammed on this one.

burgerwars said:   .. The police were scammed on this one.
sure seems like it... nice story.. the family planned for a vacation in another country and donno how to plan or enough money to complete it safely..somethings fishy here..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014