• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I booked a flight from Vegas to Baltimore on-line for next week at $122 with Spirit. As I get ready to pay, a screen asks if I have any bags to check or carry-ons. It says they charge $35 for a carry-on. WTF? I haven't flown Spirit in a few years and now they charge for carry-ons? It also says I can take aboard a personal item up to 16x14x12 inches no charge. How strict are they about that size? I have a soft bag I could probably squeeze into that size.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You realize, that you already have lost another $5 or more (possibly). The $35 fee for carry-on is only if you pay at ti... (more)

jaimelobo (Jul. 05, 2013 @ 10:01a) |

That's why I asked and now plan on taking just a "personal item" and pay nothing.

atikovi (Jul. 05, 2013 @ 10:20a) |

Please, I would like to see a link verifying what you said?

GeorgiaBulldawg (Jul. 07, 2013 @ 2:43a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

http://www.spiritairlinesfacts.com

I'll let you decide for yourself. Good luck. I think spirit ranked 10th from last in a ranking of all airlines... worldwide!

Don't really care where the airline ranked. The other discount airlines had tickets in the $250-$400 range while the major airlines, well, lets just say I could have flown to Paris cheaper.

Can't be worse than Greyhound.

atikovi said:   Can't be worse than Greyhound.Wanna bet???

This has been their policy for a while now. It's a nasty surprise... but welcome to Spirit. As for how strict are they? Very. If you can't fit the bag into one of those "example" boxes they have at the airport, you'll have to pay $35 and up to check the bag. If you can squeeze it into that shape, you should be good.

Mamzer said:   atikovi said:   Can't be worse than Greyhound.Wanna bet???

Will Spirit make you stand outside in 100 degree weather until the plane shows up?

atikovi said:   Mamzer said:   atikovi said:   Can't be worse than Greyhound.Wanna bet???

Will Spirit make you stand outside in 100 degree weather until the plane shows up?

$35 for waiting inside.

atikovi said:   Don't really care where the airline ranked. The other discount airlines had tickets in the $250-$400 range while the major airlines, well, lets just say I could have flown to Paris cheaper.

Then pay the 35 and stfu!

You want good or cheap? Pick one!

Mickie3 said:   atikovi said:   Don't really care where the airline ranked. The other discount airlines had tickets in the $250-$400 range while the major airlines, well, lets just say I could have flown to Paris cheaper.

stfu?

This is fat wallet, I want cheap.

atikovi said:   Mickie3 said:   atikovi said:   Don't really care where the airline ranked. The other discount airlines had tickets in the $250-$400 range while the major airlines, well, lets just say I could have flown to Paris cheaper.

stfu?

This is fat wallet, I want cheap.

Then you have already made your pick, you picked cheap over good, so either forget the "personal item" or pay up.

Buying a ticket with less than 14 days planning surely isn't the straight and narrow road to saving money, Spirit Airlines or otherwise.

Logan71 said:   Buying a ticket with less than 14 days planning surely isn't the straight and narrow road to saving money, Spirit Airlines or otherwise.

You won't get anything close to $122 Vegas to BWI even if you plan a month ahead. If a plane is under booked, airlines will drop fares to flights 2 or 3 days away to below what a 2 week advance purchase ticket is. No need for long time advance planning.

atikovi said:   Mamzer said:   atikovi said:   Can't be worse than Greyhound.Wanna bet???

If they could get away with it to save a dollar, they would.

16 days out reservations
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   Logan71 said:   Buying a ticket with less than 14 days planning surely isn't the straight and narrow road to saving money, Spirit Airlines or otherwise.

You won't get anything close to $122 Vegas to BWI even if you plan a month ahead. If a plane is under booked, airlines will drop fares to flights 2 or 3 days away to below what a 2 week advance purchase ticket is. No need for long time advance planning.

Ahh, the voice of almost-experience. I beg to differ...

Logan71 said:   Ahh, the voice of almost-experience. I beg to differ...

So what are you trying to say? Those flights 16 days out are the same price as the one I got 5 days out?

It's a good thing you've mentioned this. I tried searching for such charges, they are actually true. Spirit Airlines have a strict policy on the dimensions of the bags. Aside from adhering to these specifications, your carry on bag must fit the overhead bin while your personal bag must fit under the seat in front of you. Quite strict, eh?

Spirit makes major money out of these fees, so be prepared to pay.

Better fly quickly as Spitit is going to start charging $5 for each restroom visit on July 14, 2013.

bopc1996 said:   Better fly quickly as Spitit is going to start charging $5 for each restroom visit on July 14, 2013.

I'll bring an empty plastic soda bottle.

atikovi said:   I booked a flight from Vegas to Baltimore on-line for next week at $122 with Spirit. As I get ready to pay, a screen asks if I have any bags to check or carry-ons. It says they charge $35 for a carry-on. WTF? I haven't flown Spirit in a few years and now they charge for carry-ons? It also says I can take aboard a personal item up to 16x14x12 inches no charge. How strict are they about that size? I have a soft bag I could probably squeeze into that size.You realize, that you already have lost another $5 or more (possibly). The $35 fee for carry-on is only if you pay at ticketing.

It goes to $40 during online check-in, $50 if you wait until you get to the airport (counter or kiosk), and $100 if you wait until the gate. Of course that is each way.

That's why I asked and now plan on taking just a "personal item" and pay nothing.

bopc1996 said:   Better fly quickly as Spitit is going to start charging $5 for each restroom visit on July 14, 2013.

Please, I would like to see a link verifying what you said?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014