• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Recently i received a post card which said "Receive Free round trip airfare anywhere in US plus 2 night hotel stay and $100 Gas Voucher" and asked me to call this number (877) 787-6051. They asked me few questions and told me i need to attend a 90 minute session for me and my wife to get this offer. I asked if i need to buy anything but the rep said nothing to buy but just attend the session and i'll get the above offer. It's hard to pass and it was too hard to resist but somewhere in my mind i thought it must be fluke.

When i go to the session i asked i came there just for the offer and not the session so they came back and they just gave us one form which said to go to http://www.choiceselectioninc.com/ and follow the instructions there. When i visit this website, it had different packages listed and for any package there is a redemption fee which need to be paid by Money Order.

So my question is whether anyone redeem this offer, if so why do they need redemption fee for getting the package? And will i expect any surprise fees if i send this form? Pls advise.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
There are a dozen of offers inside that link. If you choose the one you'd like to take advantage of, then you should inv... (more)

SinglePapa (Jul. 30, 2013 @ 9:26p) |

First of all, no, OP. No, no, no.

Second, there are other things like this, which might benefit other people. By which ... (more)

FatWalletLurker (Jul. 31, 2013 @ 6:48a) |

This was an effort to say something - but what, exactly? nononoyesyesyesnonoyes?

1. For an intelligent relaxed person, at... (more)

SinglePapa (Jul. 31, 2013 @ 7:44a) |

s/b "Pls advise."

Updated...Hope you have some advise...

Money order would scare me off. Any timeshare that is worth it's salt would be able to accept a CC. With a CC you get charge back protection at least. Money order is as good as cash almost. I would run away. It is too good to be true, and reeks of a scam.

This screams scam.

SCAM SCAM SCAM

When you open any form, it shows their Travel agent ID - ST38366 registered in FL

Further research showed them on BBB with 77 complaints and D+ rating...

http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/business-reviews/vacation-cer...

One of the complaints and I quote from BBB

Complaint: Introductory mailing and phone sales associated with the product do not convey all the terms & conditions to you when attempting to get you to commit.
When returning their solicitation calling number-they actually tell you that you will be receiving 2 Round Trip Airline Tickets with a 3 day and 2 night stay at 1 of their hotel accomodations. And all we have to do is to sign up for their 90min presentation--they never tell you that you must submit a $100.00 refundable deposit to validate the voucher. They never tell you that for the 2 vouchers' each will be responsible for a $75.00 reservation processing fee and that on the airline tickets you will also be responsible for the taxes-fees-fuel surcharges and any other surcharges. So my question is what exactly are you getting 'FREE" as you must pay all of these fees & surcharges. You might say you are getting nothing in return for you time but the basic airfare. None of this info is told to you upfront--you must read the fine print on the "BACK" of the Activation Form. To me this is nothing more than a scam to get folks to sit down and listen to what they have to sell. There is no "FREE" 2 Round-Trip Airfares & Hotel Stay.

More likely: at least one of the offers may be of use to a particular user. Screaming SCAM about everything you lay your eyes on is COUNTER-productive. With most of similar offers, a FWer can beat the offering party.

Unless someone spells out "the scam" here, there is no reason to dismiss the offer based strictly on your unwillingness to work it. If you do that, then usable offers will fall thru cracks.

Now, on this particular offer: you don't have CC protecting you. That's a definite disadvantage. But again, to scream SCAM you should explain the scam; not just your disappointment by the fact that there are particular mandatory expenses (oh my goodness, it's not totally free after all), which are not disclosed in large font

SinglePapa said:   More likely: at least one of the offers may be of use to a particular user. Screaming SCAM about everything you lay your eyes on is COUNTER-productive. With most of similar offers, a FWer can beat the offering party.

Unless someone spells out "the scam" here, there is no reason to dismiss the offer based strictly on your unwillingness to work it. If you do that, then usable offers will fall thru cracks.

Now, on this particular offer: you don't have CC protecting you. That's a definite disadvantage. But again, to scream SCAM you should explain the scam
If a "D" rating by BBB and no CC allowed doesnt scream SCAM to you, give me your credit card number and I'll buy you 30 iPods for $20.. All brand new. Heck.. I dont have a D rating by BBB.. and I accept Credit Card.. so you're safe!!!11!1!!

Good point: you don't have a D rating by BBB; and it's just as easy for you to make an empty promise.

Most of these are not EMPTY offers; but to distill one of use to you, you have to put in corresponding work. Why the effort to write tons around it, if not interested. If interested, then make an effort to see if it's usable. Survival of the fittest: they are in it for profit, and so are you.

Very clearly: people confuse the vendors who they don't want to have any dealings with AND a scam. Two different things

joe4u said:   When i visit this website, it had different packages listed and for any package there is a redemption fee which need to be paid by Money Order I thought they said it was free.

That's precisely the kind of a NOTHING knee-jerk reaction. If you are interested in getting into something that is not fully priced (unlike Delta, Marriott or Holland Cruises) - then go in with the intention of finding it. Don't expect to pay a mark-up of A-rated concern here

The point about the op's posting is that they were initially unsure if the offer was a scam or legit.

And for good reason.

Time shares have a history of providing free trips, reduced priced trips, free gifts, free meals, free services, free shows, complimentary tanks of gasoline - all in exchange for listening to their 90 minute shpiel.

So, the bargained for exchange "shpiel" for "reward" is actually legally and binding consideration. A contract - period.

That being said, con artists and companies who don't act in good faith - use a myriad of ways - and boiler plate clauses to create profit - either from the sale of the timeshare or from the "free trip" provided.

Websites like Clark Howard, Consumer Reports, Fatwallet, and state run consumer websites - help consumers determine when a deal doesn't make sense. We are not talking about obvious Nigerian wire fraud or Ponzi Schemes.

The best run scams are ones that do not look like scams at all. If they are run right - the mark pays and is none the wiser. Or, as it usually happens, pays then receives nothing - including any means to recover their expenditure.

The OP's post has lots of merit for me. And, I will bet for others too.

Your kind of merit appeals to those who want to do nothing but...deal with A-rated full-priced offers (so they shouldn't comment on the spunkier offers that have nothing to do with them). Main merit of a post like this is of course in the part of the offer that's usable

I've found the best way to add to a post is to address the OP's needs first.

Then, I try to contribute more, elaborate on a theme... and then of course vamp.

But, that's just me.

I'm a 43 yr. old male who's been solicited to buy those Walgreen gift cards,in the amounts of 50 dollars each, then to bring them to a Russian who will pay me a tempting 360 gr. & a new Toy. Camary. Well let me tell you, I wanted to meet w/ this man. Two days later the Russian pulled the "flip" scam. Mmmm...well what do YOU think might have happened?

SinglePapa said:   More likely: at least one of the offers may be of use to a particular user. Screaming SCAM about everything you lay your eyes on is COUNTER-productive. With most of similar offers, a FWer can beat the offering party.

Now, on this particular offer: you don't have CC protecting you. That's a definite disadvantage. But again, to scream SCAM you should explain the scam; not just your disappointment by the fact that there are particular mandatory expenses (oh my goodness, it's not totally free after all), which are not disclosed in large font
I

Assuming that this is not a scam, as you state is the proper assumption ("no reason to dismiss the offer..."), if someone thinks it's worth paying all the fees (which I have to assume are all non refundable, even if stated otherwise, as without credit card protection I would be a fool to assume they will willingly refund anything. And, I further assume that any attempt to excise a refund from them would have to be made through a small claims court action, incurring additional fees, and resulting in a judgment that will never be collected.), they will receive airplane tickets for a 2 night trip. To me, that means most of 1 day going (including security procedures, such as getting felt up, at the airport, going through customs), and one day enduring the same inconveniences coming home, with 1 day in between, during which you are tethered to being close enough to the location of the mandatory 90 minute sales presentation.

Moderator: Please explain why, after I hit reply to post the above and nothing happened, then when I hit reply to try again and it posted it twice, there is no button to delete the duplicate post.

I didn't understand your post, cows. Have you found the offer in there that you'd like to take advantage of?

Singlepapa: Are u asking OP or someone to take the risk to try the offer? Would you try the offer if it was offered to you?

There are a dozen of offers inside that link. If you choose the one you'd like to take advantage of, then you should investigate further. Safe for OP, no one had any interest in any of the dozen offers - so OP got no help so far. And neither did the community.

There is a cultural issue here. Some members keep saying so in many topics: that OP must do all the work before posting. I disagree: if everyone is limited so tightly as to how to offer their find to FW community, then other websites will beat us to the deal. I am all for posting immediately, and let the interested parties investigate and hopefully share their findings

First of all, no, OP. No, no, no.

Second, there are other things like this, which might benefit other people. By which I mean other people who are good at detecting scams. Companies with high margins are willing to spend lots on captive advertising. Imagine what the cost per "intensely watching viewer" is to those companies advertising a thirty second TV commercial. Now, multiply that amount by 180 (90 minutes x 2 ads per minute) and factor in that they can do a lot more heart-changing in an extended ad.
Get everything in writing, read the fine print, and make it happen. Back when I was a schoolteacher, my wife and I went for 5 days to Disney and hit every park (and Epcot twice). The total cost for the trip was under 500 bucks, including the resort, tickets, and airfare, because we sat through a presentation and didn't buy anything.
These companies are notoriously hard sells and will make you feel like a terrible person if you don't buy. If that doesn't bother you, and you can say "no" for two hours straight, then for the right person, it could be a "deal."

This was an effort to say something - but what, exactly? nononoyesyesyesnonoyes?

1. For an intelligent relaxed person, attending any presentation is a breeze. There is no obligation except clocking in/out 90min flat
2. If you can't conceivably understand all T&C, don't make a payment...Here, one less BBB complaint!!!

Why can't any poster understand:
1. Select one of the dozen offers. One of use to YOU
2. Add all costs (they are clearly listed)
3. Make sure timing fits you, and fulfil all conditions

There is nothing free about these offers. Weigh carefully all possible costs (including $125 average worth of attending a presentation). You'll see that costs rapidly approach the best price of such trip available elsewhere. Scam? No. Worth it? Everyone must put in effort to determine, based on own variables

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014