FW Way to Fly Last-Minute?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
daw4888 said:   If you can fly southwest, just book a fully refundable flighty for everyday in your target window, and then just cancel them everyday that you dont need them.

ALL airlines offer fully refundable fares - not just Southwest; regardless of the carrier, such tickets are more expensive. The ONLY advantage of Southwest is that they do not charge a change fee, but it will then be necessary to have a use for the value of the fare paid within 12 months, or lose it.

More importantly - if you are willing to pay full fare, there is little benefit of doing it in advance.

aa.com offers fare options without change or baggage fees - http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/General/your_choice_fares_faqs.jsp... At $68 or $88 roundtrip more, the total cost is often less than Southwest - with the ability to reserve a seat, board early. Unlike Southwest, choice fares also allow free same day changes - while Southwest requires purchase of a new ticket.

Tell her to pack a carry-on and fly hidden city. With a Delta hub in DTW, you are bound to find a cheaper flight going to a nearby airport, and telling her to get off the plane at her "layover" in Detroit.

Or check Spirit.

mobarakeh said:   Tell her to pack a carry-on and fly hidden city. With a Delta hub in DTW, you are bound to find a cheaper flight going to a nearby airport, and telling her to get off the plane at her "layover" in Detroit.

Or check Spirit.

Some airlines will cancel the rest of your ticket (including the return leg) if you don't fly all the way through to the final destination you purchased the ticket for.

If you haven't figured this out already:

Flying "standby" is not really an option in America anymore.
Change fees is at least $200 + difference in fare, so you mind as well just book last minute.

Advice:
check out the last minute 1-way flights from TPA to DTW and nearby airports for various days of the week, considering holidays near your Wife's due date. - Flint, Toledo, Grand Rapids. You should even consider Cleveland and Chicago (~4-5 hours to SE Michigan). This way, you are better aware of options when you/SIL need to make that decision.

Using AA/United/BA miles is probably the best way. AA/United have surprisingly good availability for last minute flights, especially compared to Delta....Also, they both offer one-way flights. You should figure out how many miles you'll need (I think its ~12,000 miles each way) before you need the miles.

Driving 20+ hours from Tampa to Detroit is not easy, and can be quite dangerous for someone who isn't used to driving long distances... If you take the bus/train, you mind as well just buy the flight. The time your SIL waste taking off work will cancel out the savings of taking the bus/train.

I recently made a trip ATL-STL via a last minute United booking. Used 12.5k miles + ~$80 outgoing for being within 24 hours and only 12.5k mi return. Cheapest RT flight within the previous month was like $380 and last minute was like $600+.

Congratulations, Shelbycobra!

I was on the other side of this equation recently (my sister had her first/only baby) and we had originally planned a visit at birth. That didn't quite work out with my job, so I wound up visiting them later BUT my original plan was to use Priceline or Hotwire last minute flights. Or drive. I'm ~14ish hour drive away from them, so that was an option (as lonestarguy suggested), depending on the circumstances.

My best to you all for a smooth delivery!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014