• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This has been covered extensively in many topics, but I will re-iterate for the budget traveler. I just sent a young family on their starter trip, and they're happy! Will be driving a passenger van from NY later August, all parents take note

Firstly, there is a sneaky Priceline Express/Google Wallet deal. Once both proper apps are employed, code WALLET20 is supposed to take $20 off. Checking Orlando, you see a $21 motel listed in Disney area, with the infamous Priceline's $10 fees&taxes. So total out-of-pocket is $11/nite, and people report it's not limited to first purchase (unlike stated in T&C). I also saw a $28 with breakfast Seaworld hotel, so you have options!

Secondly, ChoiceHotels.com mails you unlimited $50 gas cards for qualifying stays thru 8/23. So Roadway Inn or EconoLodge in Disney area (Kissimmee) are $66-70 including taxes for 2 nites. Two 2-nite stays get you a $50 gift card. So 4 nites will cost you $86 net in total (or less, using discounts I just listed in P.S.)

California deals are way way better, because they are free for a maximum 3-day trip's transportation and accommodation. They are first come first served, and mostly cover LA, SF, Yosemite and Vegas - depending on your precise dates. I can always check availability for you, and I wish I were on the West Coast!

P.S. I totally forgot that on advance reservations ChoiceHotels.com may take 15-20% off. So grand total after each gift card may be as low as $60 for each 4-nite trip (and if you don't have a week or two advance, but do have a 16-digit AAA number or AARP - you still get 10% off). Again, this is unlimited thru 8/23; so you can string up 4, 8, 12, 16 day stays - and they may be in different cities!

P.S2. Additional 3% FatWallet Cash Back may only be available via the 20% discounted advance purchase. Otherwise, the payment is collected at check-in and may not qualify for FatCash

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yes Vickh, unfortunately their condition is to book on their website OR travel agent's, whatever that means. Btw, I didn... (more)

SinglePapa (Aug. 11, 2013 @ 8:38p) |

yeah only SoCal. Looking @ dates for this weekend, but only seeing $55+ rates

vickh (Aug. 11, 2013 @ 8:49p) |

Hot and cold running cockroaches? That's a deal breaker at any price.

Buffalo89 (Aug. 13, 2013 @ 4:19p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good post OP. Please note everyone you'd need to make 2 stays not 2 nights to get the 50 off so you do need to likely change hotels during your trip to obtain 2 stay credits. Also noticed they have a stay 3 nights get 4 th free if helpful to anyone.

Edit. I see OP explaind this already about 2 stays now . Please disregard

Czarman25, get fourth free would be worth around $30 cash in Kissimmee example vs. $50 gas card. But you're right, that's another option if you don't want to force-move every 2 days.

Yet another option is a higher tier property listed around $50/nite that requires only two separate 1-nite(!) stays to earn each $50 gift card. That may give you a better sleeping value+breakfast for effectively $25/nite (likely plus taxes this time), but you have to do a daily move on this rate!

Deal sounds good but please do your research on the area where these hotel are located in Kissimmee. I live about an hour away from both these hotel (Roadway Inn and EconoLodge) and I can tell you that the area is littered with drugs and prostitution. Sorry if I rain on anyone's parade but I would hate to see a family or anyone waste their money going on vacation and staying in a not very family friendly area. If you are looking to stay in a family friendly area, look for hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, Celebration or near Old Town. You can find some really good deals especially if you go on Living Social or Groupon. Hope this helps.

OP, can you add a link to this thread for the mentioned "sneaky Priceline Express/Google Wallet deal"?

"Deal" which I do not fully trust $30 hotel room when you use google wallet via Priceline app
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-discussion/1286333/

You live AN HOUR away from Disney - I'm so sorry to hear that. Is it true that based on your license's address, you'd have to justify parking free in Disney Resort?

We're talking here about crashing for the nite at a location like 5995 W.Irlo Bronson Hwy, which is exactly the Old Town/Celebration you rave about, for $20/nite including tax. Which happens to be less money than you spend in gas alone to drive home for the overnite...

You just posted about Groupon and Living Social (??) Please point one Orlando deal from that brilliant duet!tinkerbelldiva said:   Deal sounds good but please do your research on the area where these hotel are located in Kissimmee. I live about an hour away from both these hotel (Roadway Inn and EconoLodge) and I can tell you that the area is littered with drugs and prostitution. Sorry if I rain on anyone's parade but I would hate to see a family or anyone waste their money going on vacation and staying in a not very family friendly area. If you are looking to stay in a family friendly area, look for hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, Celebration or near Old Town. You can find some really good deals especially if you go on Living Social or Groupon. Hope this helps.

The Disney area/Celebration "Roadway Inn Maingate", offered by ChoiceHotels.com and qualifying for the giftcard deal is smack in the midst of a handful $100 hotels and resorts. All commentary about it being not suitable for budget traveler is totally out of line

SinglePapa said:   I agree that getting these rates requires on-line work. Of course those who just pull up to the front door to check into the same hotels pay double. And on weekends, they may even get turned awayThat's probably because the hookers have most of the rooms booked.

To each his own but there's a reason why these rooms are so cheap.

While some folks don't have the means to afford better accomodations, most people don't care to sleep in a place used by hookers and drug dealers.

This is similar to your old thread about getting free food from the dumpsters at Publix and Goodings. Not everyone is willing to go to those extremes to save a buck. IMO if you have to eat out of dumpsters, you shouldn't be spending your limited resources on Disney tickets.

So what's the Groupon or Living Social deal?

SinglePapa said:   ... All commentary about it being not suitable for budget traveler is totally out of lineActually, the quality of the location is an important aspect of the deal and is an important part of the conversation. It's part of asking whether a travel deal is "worth" the cost.

The comment that all rooms in Disney area hotel are sold out on weekends due to demand generated by hookers is funny. Yes. I also think it's appropriate in a discussion of half-price rebate

THX OP! Any free Southern CA getaways this/next week?

tinkerbelldiva said:   Deal sounds good but please do your research on the area where these hotel are located in Kissimmee. I live about an hour away from both these hotel (Roadway Inn and EconoLodge) and I can tell you that the area is littered with drugs and prostitution. Sorry if I rain on anyone's parade but I would hate to see a family or anyone waste their money going on vacation and staying in a not very family friendly area. If you are looking to stay in a family friendly area, look for hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, Celebration or near Old Town. You can find some really good deals especially if you go on Living Social or Groupon. Hope this helps.

That's the problem I have with the Priceline Express offers. If you don't know the name, you can't run it through TripAdvisor or Yelp to see if it is even worth it.

Anonguy, if you really care, there exist at least two dedicated websites to prompt you to the name of Priceline and Hotwire mystery hotels.

But of course the whole point of paying just $20-25 for Disney area hotel is to spend the LEAST possible time in it. Who cares for its name If you arrive 11pm and take off 7.30am each day. The whole point is that you are less than 10 minutes away from Disney Resorts worth $500-1000/day. Why spend any time in your room, other then crash for the night. Is that why you travel to be in Disney - to stay in your hotel room? Really. I like it how the comments come from "locals" residing an hour away from Disney and spending (maybe) a few days a year on Disney territory, which covers 47 square miles! Billions of dollars of world's top infrastructure are 10 minutes away from your bed. My family is inside Disney at least 5 weeks out of each year, while our residence is in NYC

tinkerbelldiva said:   Deal sounds good but please do your research on the area where these hotel are located in Kissimmee. I live about an hour away from both these hotel (Roadway Inn and EconoLodge) and I can tell you that the area is littered with drugs and prostitution. Sorry if I rain on anyone's parade but I would hate to see a family or anyone waste their money going on vacation and staying in a not very family friendly area. If you are looking to stay in a family friendly area, look for hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, Celebration or near Old Town. You can find some really good deals especially if you go on Living Social or Groupon. Hope this helps.Apparently you really hit the nail on the head!

Here's a sample review of the EconoLodge from Tripadvisor...

“Worst place in Orlando”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the worst place I've ever been. Rooms are filthy, dirt, hair , blood even poop smeared on bathroom walls Management are rock heads as well as most of there guest. This place should not be in business in fact it needs to be demolished or burnt. Pictures on the Internet are lyes not the same place So stay away!!!!!!!! Wouldn't stay there if the paid me.

And one more.....

“Dirty Used Linens - Please spend a few extra dollars & stay elsewhere!”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked though Choice Hotels. We stayed 2 nights while visiting Disney World; once on our trip down & once going home. We only needed a place to sleep both nights. The hotel is run down. There was no comforter on the beds for either visit, just a dingy blanket. The room smelled terrible. The WiFi is a joke. There were not enough towels for 2 adults & 2 children. On our way back home we figured the stay would be about the same, again, we were just looking for a place to sleep before the 9 hour drive back home. I had booked both rooms in advance and did not want to lose money. I should have just let the $35 go and spent extra elsewhere. The first room we were given had not been cleaned, the bed was unmade and there were used towels on the floor. The second room we were given was equally gross. The pillows and sheets had hair on them. It is obvious that they DO NOT CLEAN THEIR LINENS. It looked as if the bed was simply remade after the last person checked out. Again, not enough towels for everyone. The sink area was not clean. The air conditioner did not work well. There was a flat screen TV in the room but most of the channels were fuzzy. The old entertainment center had been slid over to the side of the room. There was a broken couch left in the stairwell along with a mini-van seat. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, especially travelers with children. I've stayed in budget hotels before so I know you get what you pay for but they have by far been the worst. This place is a health risk.

Then a sample review for the Roadway Inn...

“If you are homeless, a drug dealer or a prostitute, this is the place for you.”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I arrived at the above hotel for a 2 night stay. I was shocked at what I saw. Despite the tackiness of the decor/exterior, I tried to remain positive. There were drawn on windows & Christmas decor.

I checked in and drove around to my room. It was downright scary and smelled terrible. What I saw was some kind of dump. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a dead body behind there - animal or human. It was so bad, a large flock of vultures had even decided to take residence on the property.

I was made to sign an agreement to pay $100 if I smoked in the non-smoking room 159. Yet, upon entering the room, not only did it reek of cigarettes, it was much worse than I imagined. Cigarette burns were everywhere. There was a cigarette stained table and cigarette holes burned into the comforter.

The rest wasn't much better. The door was ill-sized (maybe kicked in a few times?) and the security lock was broken off. There were weird red stains (almost like bloody fingerprints) and holes in the wall. Stains were everywhere. I just did not feel safe there at all. I ended up going to another hotel.

I have stayed at Rodeway Inn locations in the past as well as many other hotels in the Choice Hotel family, and I have never had an experience like this one. I am appalled that Choice Hotels includes this location amongst its offerings. I never would have drawn any correlation between this brand and this hotel even in my wildest dreams. I would not have been surprised if they charged hourly rates.

The other reviews are even worse.

Some folks are willing to subject themselves to this kind of filth and to eat out of dumpsters because they somehow consider it a deal.

However most people reading your post will appreciate the warning you have provided and you will have saved their vacations from disaster.

Thanks for your post!

I sure wouldn't want to play Russian roulette with my family's health. Those reviews are scary.
You may go home with Mickey's cousins in your suitcase.

SinglePapa Pet
Disclaimer
cmcdan1524 said:   I sure wouldn't want to play Russian roulette with my family's health. Those reviews are scary.
Worse!

People reported roaches, bed bugs and other critters sharing their room.

I'm sure there were a number of hitchhikers in the bunch.

Wait a minute, this is a deal! Free pets!

These selective reviews refer to locations not related to this topic. This topic is about ChoiceHotels.com locations CLOSEST TO DiSNEY. The correct location reviews go: "haven't seen one bug in a week we stayed in this hotel"

Better than selective reviews: a family from NYC is currently staying at 5995 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy hotel under this ChoiceHotels.com promotion, and is completely satisfied. They enter Disneyworld territory 4 minutes after stepping out of their room, they clocked it

SinglePapa said:   These selective reviews refer to locations not related to this topic. This topic is about ChoiceHotels.com locations CLOSEST TO DiSNEY. The correct location reviews go: "haven't seen one bug in a week we stayed in this hotel". The mold killed all of them.

Better than selective reviews: a family from NYC is currently staying at 5995 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy hotel under this ChoiceHotels.com promotion, and is completely satisfied. They enter Disneyworld territory 4 minutes after stepping out of their room, they clocked it
People can sure run fast when being pursued by drug dealers, prostitutes, and assorted vermin from the motel!

There's a reason these rooms, so close to Disney are only $20.

Not a deal. These rooms are not even worth the $20 unless you enjoy filth, drug dealers, and prostitutes in your hotel. The locals and the reviews corroborate this.

Falsified science.

1. Person living an hour from Disney is not a local to Disney
2. There is no claim that this hotel sports level of facilities equal to a handful of $100 hotels surrounding it, or $200-300 Gaylord Palms Resort 2 minutes away
3. You will not see any caricature characters at all, if you arrive very late to catch your sleep and leave straight after breakfast. The purpose of $20 stay is NOT to spend time at a $20 hotel. The purpose is strictly utilitarian: sleep in the two large beds a family can get under this offer for $20 including taxes and fees. Which, again, happens to be less money than round-trip fuel for whom you just characterized as a "local"
4. What is the purpose of sifting thru hundreds of various, (and different location) reviews only to selectively quote negative posts of some cheap hotel in a chain? Why not thank for today's positive review in reference to the correct hotel, instead of selecting a negative review of some different hotel from February??
5. Finally, what is the purpose of investigation of the $20 offer, if you make abundantly clear that you happen to be completely disinterested in EVER STAYING in a $20 hotel?

I don't know who IS interested in this offer. I personally am traveling Aug.24-Sep.7, when the $50 promo is not applicable. Thus, I have zero interest in ChoiceHotels.com chain, period. But I hope that those who end taking advantage of this promo, do return with a full Disney report - because there is much more to travel to Disney than the room somebody sleeps in

Dude give it a rest already.

You posted your supposed "deal" and Tripadvisor reviews have been posted along with advice from locals.

BTW the posted reviews are highly representative of all the Tripadvisor reviews for the properties. The reviews reflect filthy rooms, vermin, drug dealers, prostitutes and quarters for homeless people.

Time to end the rant and stop steering unsuspecting bargain hunters to these dangerous filthy properties.

This is a clearly defined topic on ultra-budget travel. It also offered truthful, unbiased and current report from the particular Roadway Inn Maingate location

SinglePapa said:   This is a clearly defined topic on ultra-budget travel. It also offered truthful, unbiased and current report from the particular Roadway Inn Maingate locationYour misinformation will put unsuspecting bargain hunters into situations where their safety and health will be put at risk and their vacations will be ruined.

Potential victims of this misinformation need to be aware of the flophouse conditions and the safety risks.

This is similar to your old thread about getting free food from the dumpsters at Publix and Goodings. Not everyone is willing to go to those extremes to save a buck. IMO if you have to eat out of dumpsters, you shouldn't be spending your limited resources on Disney tickets.

What is misinformation? The rebate works, bringing the cost of overnite stay to under $20 including all taxes and fees

Next: the " Rodeway Inn Maingate" (2 minutes drive Westbound hwy 192 to World Dr.) is currently available for booking today thru 8/23, qualifying for the promotion.

As an added bonus to price aspects of OP: a couple+child from NYC are currently staying at that particular location, to their full satisfaction. None of the filth depicted in all irrelevant to that location posts is observed at this hotel on 8/7, and same can be reasonably assumed thru 8/23 - the end date of $50 Rebate. Beyond 8/23, I advocate no one should be interested in that hotel as well as in ChoiceHotels.com , unless ChoiceHotels.com comes out with promotion no worse than this one.

Those posters who speculate that ChoiceHotels are dangerous should take it up with management of ChoiceHotels chains. Those posters who advocate to NEVER spend $20 for overnite stays should not be in this topic: this is not the topic of procuring nicest accommodations offered by hospitality industry. This is topic of ultra-savings on overnite lodgings SITUATED CLOSEST to the most exciting places for younger families to visit in America

Mamzer said:   Your misinformation will put unsuspecting bargain hunters into situations where their safety and health will be put at risk and their vacations will be ruined.

Potential victims of this misinformation need to be aware of the flophouse conditions and the safety risks.

both of you should give it a rest. imho, both have provided enough information for others to decide for themselves. thanks for a lively and informative discussion. now stop it.

SinglePapa said:   This is topic of ultra-savings on overnite lodgings CLOSEST to the most interesting places for younger families to visit in AmericaAnd people wonder why American culture is going downhill.

I be damned: they are calling me and asking if their stay can be extended!! But of course to get another $50 card: they now have to sleep one night at Quality Inn, and then return here for two more nights as they wish

Rodeway Inn's Motto
"Staying here is like starring in the real life bugs life movie."

Damned twice: Roadway Inn Maingate just hiked rates (Fatwallet effect LOL), so the deal is not precisely as cheap as captured within one day following OP...Booked a suite that claims to sleep six(!) for $38 all-in, just quarter-mile further out. They don't need a huge suite like this, but no harm

Rodeway Inn e-mailed Customer Satisfaction survey a few days after each check-out...

What I'd like to put my finger on in reference to Orlando -. what seems anomaly, but may actually have an explanation. Rates do NOT drop the further you get from attractions: Disney or Universal. The lowest rates, even within the same chain, can be found precisely in the closest, most touristy, most international properties. This is where the original "poopers" went wrong: they assumed that to get the lowest stay rates, you had to reach miles down the road (where of course the % occupancy by tourists is increasingly replaced by local element).

My best guess is that there may be some kind of cross-subsidizing going on. Similar to traditional Vegas, where casino as a profit center would subsidize everything else: from rooms, to drinks, to meals, to shows... How exactly is this pattern fulfilled in Orlando - would be interesting to hear. We have seen some indication from serious members in previous topics of Chamber of Commerce, Tourist Board, etc attempting vertical promotions. I'm also guessing that land surrounding Disney and Universal assets might enjoy the collateral of the original developer's favorable tax treatment. Also, that the busiest tourist hotels benefit from tremendous concession dues flow. If someone volunteered good analysis, that would be helpful

for the choice hotel $50 card deal, one has to book choice hotel.com right?

or can we double dip with the Priceline deal in OP?

Yes Vickh, unfortunately their condition is to book on their website OR travel agent's, whatever that means. Btw, I didn't forget you. It's just that my interest right now is more SF area free trips, not LA. I'm figuring you're not into flying one-way to SF early Aug.31 especially for this, are you?

SinglePapa said:   Yes Vickh, unfortunately their condition is to book on their website OR travel agent's, whatever that means. Btw, I didn't forget you. It's just that my interest right now is more SF area free trips, not LA. I'm figuring you're not into flying one-way to SF early Aug.31 especially for this, are you?

yeah only SoCal. Looking @ dates for this weekend, but only seeing $55+ rates

Mamzer said:   cmcdan1524 said:   I sure wouldn't want to play Russian roulette with my family's health. Those reviews are scary.
Worse!

People reported roaches, bed bugs and other critters sharing their room.

I'm sure there were a number of hitchhikers in the bunch.

Wait a minute, this is a deal! Free pets!
Hot and cold running cockroaches? That's a deal breaker at any price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014