Myrtle vs. Virginia vs. Ocean City

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hoping some people have been to all three places and could give a comparison of the three. We're looking to do a family road trip from Chicago next summer. I've been to Myrtle Beach before, so I sort of have an idea of what to expect there. Ocean City seems to have the most interesting drive from Chicago(Sandusky/Cedar Point, Hershey, PA (side excursion), Washington D.C.), but I wasn't sure if the destination would be worth it.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

"Worth it"??

What previous long roadtrips have you taken with the "family"?

Pros/cons?

Just to be clear, you are talking about Ocean City, MD not Ocean City, NJ correct?

Ocean City, MD is a traditional beach town - boardwalk, mini golf, amusement pier, restaurants, traffic, etc. North end is quiet, South end is more hustle and bustle.
Virginia Beach is pretty laid back - boardwalk but without the typical beach stuff; basically a nice place to walk and relax.
Myrtle Beach - it's been so long since I've been there, I'm sure it's changed a lot.

Ocean City MD is an hour or less from from Assateague Island (park with wild horses), Lewes DE (from which you can take a ferry to the Victorian town of Cape May NJ) Rehoboth Beach DE (restaurants, shopping) and Chicoteague Island (somewhat quaint town, lighthouse, more horses) so you have several day-trip options. Haven't been to Myrtle Beach but I would recommend OC over VA Beach. You could also consider the NC Outer Banks which is way more laid back than any of your choices.

Drive-by requests for help...priceless.

You know you can hit sandusky and hershey even if you go to SC. Its a road trip, you don't have to take the most direct route.

The Maryland/Delaware beaches (including Rehobeth, Ocean City and Virginia Beach) are mostly the same in terms of things to do and ambiance. Virginia Beach will be a longer drive - you can either go through Richmond and head west, or you can take the Bay Bridge to Ocean City, and cut south through the Bridge Tunnel.

I always found Virginia Beach to be weird. Half hippie/stoner town, and half trashy east coast beach resort. Unlike the MD/DE beaches, Virginia Beach (and adjacent Norfolk) is a real city where people actually live year-round with stuff going on other than the beach. That may be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you're looking for a quieter, nicer family vacation, consider a rental in Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island, just north of Ocean City. You can also find some nice "bayside" rentals in the Ocean City area.

elight said:   The Maryland/Delaware beaches (including Rehobeth, Ocean City and Virginia Beach) are mostly the same in terms of things to do and ambiance. Virginia Beach will be a longer drive - you can either go through Richmond and head west, or you can take the Bay Bridge to Ocean City, and cut south through the Bridge Tunnel.

I always found Virginia Beach to be weird. Half hippie/stoner town, and half trashy east coast beach resort. Unlike the MD/DE beaches, Virginia Beach (and adjacent Norfolk) is a real city where people actually live year-round with stuff going on other than the beach. That may be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you're looking for a quieter, nicer family vacation, consider a rental in Bethany Beach or Fenwick Island, just north of Ocean City. You can also find some nice "bayside" rentals in the Ocean City area.

Are there websites to list the rental properties with reviews?

mrliuwh said:   elight said:   The Maryland/Delaware beaches (including Rehobeth, Ocean City and Virginia Beach) are mostly the same in terms of things to do and ambiance. Virginia Beach will be a longer drive - you can either go through Richmond and head west, or you can take the Bay Bridge to Ocean City, and cut south through the Bridge Tunnel.

Are there websites to list the rental properties with reviews?
VRBO and HomeAway usually have all of the rentals between them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014