• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Airfare consolidators tend to omit flights that connect to trains from their searches. In other words, most of these "aerodrome" codes for train stations yield nothing on most travel sites.

Exceptionally, itasoftware.com finds such "rail flights". However, ita often fails to find inventory when specifically queried. e.g. ita finds nothing when XRF is the sole departure airport. But if the departure airport includes the whole region, then it finds a mix of both rail flights and pure flights. Clearly there are some bugs in ITA. Also, some inventory is completely missing from ITA (e.g. ZMB is not even recognized).

So besides ITA, what else is there?

Member Summary

you will have better luck in Flyertalk for this type of discussion.

raiser14 said:   Flyertalk
That's a huge thread, and it's all particular to New York train stations.

I fought through that book of posts, and did find one post that starts to answer my question: "Traveloc1ty accepts ZFV. I thought one of the others did too, but no go just now with Orb1tz, Pr1celine, Exped1a, or Kayak." But then someone replied that Traveloc1ty is unreliable.

shopper711 said:   you will have better luck in Flyertalk for this type of discussion.

Probably, but bugmenot creds often fail on Flyertalk, and i've decided not to create accounts on walled-garden forums anymore. There is a similar question in the rec.travel.air newsgroup: snews://nntp.aioe.org:563/eb39ed5cb92eb305063cab28f43bdb4a@breaka.net but looks like no one had an answer.

So far, this is what I've gathered:

Flakey search engines that sometimes find some rail flights: itasoftware.com, Traveloc1ty.com

Search engines that never find some rail flights: Orb1tz, Pr1celine, Exped1a, Kayak

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014