IHG Rewards Big Win Promotion

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am REALLY excited for the new IHG Rewards (formerly Priority Club) promotion starting Sept 1 and running through the end of the year.

Big Win Promo

This is the same format as the Crack the Case promo from 2010-11, where I was able to rack up enough points after 10 nights stays for a free week in Hawaii last year.

Sadly, this year I only qualify for 50,000 bonus points after 4 stays. However, paired with applying for the IHG credit card for 80k offer, this could make it more than worthwhile.

What kind of offers are you guys getting?

Member Summary

Win Big
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Mattadept states:
Actually, I would never redeem SPG points for a hotel stay, you are only getting a Cent per point value... (more)

Incredibledealmaker (Oct. 19, 2013 @ 7:56p) |

did survey last night for 100 points and entered the 'big win' but today it says 'big win' entry has to have hotel stays... (more)

dickginty (Oct. 20, 2013 @ 5:46a) |

Redemption wise, yes, IHG's points are one of the worse (second worse, after Hilton). However, earning wise, it's one of... (more)

SuperKirby (Oct. 20, 2013 @ 12:55p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wow.. thanks
I just registered and will get 75k points if I do all of the "tasks":

One stay is all it takes
Stay at any IHG® hotel and receive 1,000 Points.

More nights. More points
Stay a total of 4 nights and receive 9,600 Points

Mix things up
Stay at 3 different IHG brands and receive 33,000 Points

Booking direct really is the best
Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our best price guarantee and receive 6,000 Points

Take it and win
Complete a simple survey and receive 100 Points

Saturday stays just got better
Stay 2 Saturday nights and receive 7,200 Points.

See the sights. Get the win.
Stay at 2 of the following locations below and receive 18,000 Points

--------------------------------------

Finish with a really big win
Complete all of your offers and receive 75,000 Points

So the potential to earn ~149900 is there (adding up all the points from different tasks).

--note-- offers will be different depending on usage: i havent stayed at any IHG > 1yr!

The worst hotel rewards program  next to Hilton.  PC club hotels with $125 a night costs 30000 points.  3 points =cent.

Hyatt 1 point = 2 to  4 cents.
starwood 1 point = 2 to 5 cents.

Spg points cost 3.5 cents to buy directly from spg- how can they be worth 5 cents?  Can I see you them at 4 cents each?

sherap2 said:   The worst hotel rewards program  next to Hilton.  PC club hotels with $125 a night costs 30000 points.  3 points =cent.

Obviously you have never taken advantage of the Points Break list.

you don't get it. there is nothing to take advantage of there.  just look there and think. pointsbreaks are at very select, one hotelin each country mostly.

mattadept said:   Spg points cost 3.5 cents to buy directly from spg- how can they be worth 5 cents?  Can I see you them at 4 cents each?
  do you know how to redeem SPG points? have you ever used starwood points for your hotel stay? compare cash rate  and you can easily see that it is worth 5 cents a point at some starwood hotels around the world.

Actually, I would never redeem SPG points for a hotel stay, you are only getting a Cent per point value from a contrived cost provided by the hotel.  I have done several stays on them in the past, prior to cash and points devaluation.  Currently, the best value you can gain from a SPG point is to transfer it in blocks of 20K for the 5K bonus to an airline, making 40K SPG enough for a flight in Coach from New York to Tokyo on AA during low season, which I estimate averages around a 3 cent per mile value on a 1200 ticket.

I have also stayed in their top tier hotels, the St Regis Bal Harbour at 30K per night (on a promo, buy one get one free so it was 15K per night) and that hotel is hundreds of dollars BUT I would never ever pay to stay there and I wouldn't even use points to stay there unless they did a promo.  You cannot allow the company to set the value in cash and the value in points and then claim your point is worth X, it doesn't work like that.

I do think they are valuable currency, but it is worth what I could pay for it IE If I can manufacture a point it is worth, and despite being able to manufacture and redeem for zero and 3 cents respectively I actually tend to opt for 2% in the form of Cash Back since the 3 cents is best case and cannot always be obtained.  

sherap2 said:   The worst hotel rewards program  next to Hilton.  PC club hotels with $125 a night costs 30000 points.  3 points =cent.

Thats not true.  I've booked lots of hotels for 10,000 points and they cost over $100.  Theres one in Fresno and one in Union City, CA right now.  Your example is quite extreme, to the point of being deceptive.

Also, Point Breakers can be good or bad.  People complain about the lack of hotels in XYZ cities, but I really wonder if it matters, since they won't be visiting 95% of those cities anyway.  You either get lucky and find a pointbreak for the area you are visiting during that time, or you don't.  I take advantage of them at least 2-5 times each year (for myself and family/friends).    The current one and the one coming up isn't very good, but the one before last was quite decent.  

Last, ICH points are really easy to earn.  Not to mention you can essentially buy them at ~$0.007 per point anytime.  If you want a hotel program with LOTS of hotels around the world, and easy to earn rewards, ICH is hard to beat.  I'd like to see you point out a better promo from Hyatt or Starwood this year.

mattadept said:   Actually, I would never redeem SPG points for a hotel stay, you are only getting a Cent per point value from a contrived cost provided by the hotel.  I have done several stays on them in the past, prior to cash and points devaluation.  Currently, the best value you can gain from a SPG point is to transfer it in blocks of 20K for the 5K bonus to an airline, making 40K SPG enough for a flight in Coach from New York to Tokyo on AA during low season, which I estimate averages around a 3 cent per mile value on a 1200 ticket.

I have also stayed in their top tier hotels, the St Regis Bal Harbour at 30K per night (on a promo, buy one get one free so it was 15K per night) and that hotel is hundreds of dollars BUT I would never ever pay to stay there and I wouldn't even use points to stay there unless they did a promo.  You cannot allow the company to set the value in cash and the value in points and then claim your point is worth X, it doesn't work like that.

I do think they are valuable currency, but it is worth what I could pay for it IE If I can manufacture a point it is worth, and despite being able to manufacture and redeem for zero and 3 cents respectively I actually tend to opt for 2% in the form of Cash Back since the 3 cents is best case and cannot always be obtained.  

Just used 36k points for three nights at the Sheraton Maui which had a cash rate of $379/night which was in line with other resorts. Five nights would have been 48k points a return of nearly 5 cents.

OP. my offer was also 50k. I'm not terribly sure ill go for any of it.
For others IHG pts have their value. I traveling to Europe in the spring my IHG stays are getting around 1.5 cpp (20k pts for a $300 a night room) in places where I would be paying around $200 for a room (still a 1 cpp value using the "what I would have paid metric").
So there's value out there.

FYI, for those who accrue airline miles instead of hotel points (my preferred option with IHG), they have similar a promotion. My offers total 12,500 United miles available, all pretty doable without altering travel plans much.

stayed at a nice resort in klamath falls for 10k points per night. (flying Y ranch) the Holiday Inn is 5k per night o points break there. close to crater lake.

nice overall promo, but none of the stay 2 and get 14k points are close enough to get to, and i can't get the 46k bonus points without doing those 2 cities. still an extra 40k for some stays i would do anyway.

wads

Hyatt and SPG are both great programs but offer limited choices once you get outside of big cities and tourist destinations. Trying finding a SPG or Hyatt property a reasonable distance off I-95 between Richmond, VA and Jacksonville, FL, a route I travel frequently. I'll save you the time, there isn't one.

For those who do a lot of road travel or stay in smaller cities IHG can be a great program. If you crunch the numbers I think you'll find IHG can also offer a better value for those folks who spend a lot of nights in hotels. If you earn the vast majority of your hotel points through credit card spend, then yes, SPG will far outshine IHG. That being said, I think it's silly not to have the IHG credit card in your arsenal. The 80k sign-up bonus is worth at least $400 and the $49 annual fee, which is waived for the first year, can easily net you a $300-500 hotel room each and every year. SPG is my everyday spender but there is still room in my wallet for the IHG CC.

sherap2 said:   you don't get it. there is nothing to take advantage of there.  just look there and think. pointsbreaks are at very select, one hotelin each country mostly.

This comment regarding point breaks may be somewhat valid for Non-United States stays but Point Breaks are much more common and valuable in the States. Please see the Point Breaks list to make your own mind up.
Point Breaks

sherap2 said:   you don't get it. there is nothing to take advantage of there.  just look there and think. pointsbreaks are at very select, one hotelin each country mostly.
You need to jump on the PointsBreaks as soon as the new ones are announced - usually a few days before the expiration of the current list (e.g. check back daily towards the end of October)... Note: there is typically no cancellation penalty, so we typically overbook and cancel later as necessary...

We just got back from using 2 rooms for 5 nights in Moscow, and we've gotten a week in Madrid before. We also got three rooms for over a week in Beijing (and the hotel was impressive - particularly the concierge!).

We've successfully used 80+ nights of PointsBreaks over the years - you just need to plan ahead and be quick on the draw!

I was offered 100 points for a "coming soon" survey along with 1,000 points for staying one night, 2,000 points for booking online twice, 10,000 points for staying at three different IHG brands, along with several other offers totaling 50,100 points possible.

How can it be called the worst program. I am getting 71500 bonus points for just 4 stays which will be good for 14 point break rooms!!

The 100 point survey is now available to take.

Points are instantly credited to your IHG account:
Oct 19, 2013 |      Other |       The Big Win - Survey the Win  |     100 pts.

thanks for 'Big Win' and 100 point survey!

Mattadept states:
Actually, I would never redeem SPG points for a hotel stay, you are only getting a Cent per point value from a contrived cost provided by the hotel. I have done several stays on them in the past, prior to cash and points devaluation. Currently, the best value you can gain from a SPG point is to transfer it in blocks of 20K for the 5K bonus to an airline, making 40K SPG enough for a flight in Coach from New York to Tokyo on AA during low season, which I estimate averages around a 3 cent per mile value on a 1200 ticket.

I am currently staying in a $110 SPG room for only 3000 points. That is a great deal and you can do the math.

did survey last night for 100 points and entered the 'big win' but today it says 'big win' entry has to have hotel stays and a couple other requirements? couldn't find promo I found last night [ not sure i'm navigating site the right way ]?

Redemption wise, yes, IHG's points are one of the worse (second worse, after Hilton). However, earning wise, it's one of the best. So depending if you see the glass half full or half empty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014