Government shutdown - Travel Insurance?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We're about to head to Hawaii for about 10 days. I would normally never consider travel insurance, but does anyone know the likelihood the government shutdown could affect airline travel, such as completely shuttering the FAA? I know they've already furloughed FAA safety inspectors, if there is an accident linked to this, could they shut down all travel until they put a funding plan in place? Hawaii is a pretty expensive place to get stuck, I'm just wondering if investing in travel insurance might make sense under the circumstances or if the FAA is certain to remain operational. Thoughts?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Would the travel insurance policy you're getting cover government shutdowns? When I had previously looked at travel insurance, there were a ton of non-covered events.

woolooloo said:   We're about to head to Hawaii for about 10 days. I would normally never consider travel insurance, but does anyone know the likelihood the government shutdown could affect airline travel, such as completely shuttering the FAA? I know they've already furloughed FAA safety inspectors, if there is an accident linked to this, could they shut down all travel until they put a funding plan in place? Hawaii is a pretty expensive place to get stuck, I'm just wondering if investing in travel insurance might make sense under the circumstances or if the FAA is certain to remain operational. Thoughts?
† Wow, never even thought about that. †Good idea to plan ahead. †Guess it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side. Have Fun on your trip!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014