• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
This might be discussed here already but will like to find out if there is any way to combine BA Avios points with AA miles. I have some 44000 on avios and 37000 on AA Advantage need to combine both so that I can buy 3 local RT tickets.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

rated:
spotrun said:   This might be discussed here already but will like to find out if there is any way to combine BA Avios points with AA miles. I have some 44000 on avios and 37000 on AA Advantage need to combine both so that I can buy 3 local RT tickets.

Thanks.

This is tread on airfare deals, start a new thread for this topic or try Fly Talk, all the experts on that sort of thing can be found there.

rated:
spotrun said:   This might be discussed here already but will like to find out if there is any way to combine BA Avios points with AA miles. I have some 44000 on avios and 37000 on AA Advantage need to combine both so that I can buy 3 local RT tickets.

Thanks.

No, you cannot combine them. That said, they both allow one ways, so with 500 more AA miles you could do 3 domestic one-ways, and of course Avios is all distance based so you should be able to cover the other 3 one-ways needed to put together 3 RTs. If you post route(s) and dates I'll see if I can come up with a way to do it with what you've got.

rated:
dukerau said:   spotrun said:   This might be discussed here already but will like to find out if there is any way to combine BA Avios points with AA miles. I have some 44000 on avios and 37000 on AA Advantage need to combine both so that I can buy 3 local RT tickets.

Thanks.

No, you cannot combine them. That said, they both allow one ways, so with 500 more AA miles you could do 3 domestic one-ways, and of course Avios is all distance based so you should be able to cover the other 3 one-ways needed to put together 3 RTs. If you post route(s) and dates I'll see if I can come up with a way to do it with what you've got.

Thanks Dukerau, and sorry for delay in posting.

in my original post I made a mistake. Just checked/verified I have exactly 31355 AA miles. I can get one way local at 12500. So will need additional 6145 miles to use that for 3 one way local. Any idea what is the best way to get those miles?

Not sure how I can use BA Avios (Which I have enough of to purchase 3 one way) directly on AA site.

Thanks Again.

rated:
You can't use BA directly on the AA website, but you can book AA flights either on the BA website or by calling BA. Unlike AA's fixed cost of 12.5K per one-way, BA is distance-based. If the flight is under 650 miles, it costs 4.5K Avios (you read that right). If its 651-1151 miles, it costs 7.5K Avios. 1,152 - 2,000 miles costs 10K Avios, and 2,001 - 3,000 miles costs 12.5K Avios. It goes on for longer distances, but 3,000 miles covers most domestic flights. Keep in mind that these costs are per segment. So if you aren't flying direct, you have to price out each individual flight. But for short domestic flights, BA will be much cheaper than AA. That's why I asked for the route.

So if you want to use BA Avios to book an AA flight you need to see SAAver availability when searching the route on AA's website, and then you can book that itinerary with BA.

rated:
dukerau said:   You can't use BA directly on the AA website, but you can book AA flights either on the BA website or by calling BA. Unlike AA's fixed cost of 12.5K per one-way, BA is distance-based. If the flight is under 650 miles, it costs 4.5K Avios (you read that right). If its 651-1151 miles, it costs 7.5K Avios. 1,152 - 2,000 miles costs 10K Avios, and 2,001 - 3,000 miles costs 12.5K Avios. It goes on for longer distances, but 3,000 miles covers most domestic flights. Keep in mind that these costs are per segment. So if you aren't flying direct, you have to price out each individual flight. But for short domestic flights, BA will be much cheaper than AA. That's why I asked for the route.

So if you want to use BA Avios to book an AA flight you need to see SAAver availability when searching the route on AA's website, and then you can book that itinerary with BA.

Thanks Dukerau for detailed explanation. I am planning a trip for 4 to POP D.R. from ORD. Originally I had 104,000 Avios with BA. bought 4 RT tickets from MIA to POP at 15000 per RT per person from BA Avios. So I cosumed 60,000 avios. Left with 44000. Now I need to find RT from ORD to MIA on AA. Since I got MIA to POP on AA. Checked on BA site the sector ORD to MIA is not showing any flights on avios.

Do not wish to waste the remaining avios. I was thinking will at least get 3 RT tickets in the remainder AA Advantage and avios. Will pay for the 4th one. Any solution you can suggest?

Thanks in advance.

rated:
ORD-MIA RT should be 25K AA miles or 20K BA Avios. Search on AA for the dates you want. If the 25K award tier is available, you can call BA and redeem 20K Avios to book that route. I think the solution you suggest is the best one (2 RT tickets on Avios at 40K total cost, 1 RT ticket on AA at 25K cost, buy 4th ticket).

rated:
I noticed this hasn't been said frequently, but I recommend skyscanner. I believe it's the best one out there.

rated:
Great info. Much of itIdon't know. I'm planning for a vacation nextmonth. I will surely go through this once again before booking.

rated:
when we travelled abroad, we availed the services of Orbitz. the service was great!

rated:
Thank you so much for this! Would come in handy in the future, I'm sure.

rated:
I find that 1 month from date planned to travel is the best time to search and book.

I also feel that there are less and less deals due to all the crazy gov regulations.

rated:
I find SkyScanner pretty useful. Have used it on a few occasions.

rated:
ccb0005 said:   I noticed this hasn't been said frequently, but I recommend skyscanner. I believe it's the best one out there.
  Really? I've never used it.

rated:
How can I start a travel agency so that I can buy my own cheap tickets???

rated:
Netrate Concepts    My suggestion is to use a air consolidator

rated:
Consolidators used to have their place but now the airlines themselves are the best way to purchase airline tickets.

I haven't seen any worthwhile consolidators existing anymore in this marketplace. Not saying they aren't around and may save just a little if any at all. But if you are looking at flights and a price is a reasonable $800 RT for transatlantic travel, the rewards are not there anymore and you face issues with consolidators that won't exist with direct airline bookings.

So its really always best nowadays to book thru Airlines themselves and just bite the bullet. Regular tickets have full FF miles and the like and are much easier to deal with.

rated:
Hi! Very interesting post of Gleff, full of info, thanks for that!

rated:
Where can I find the best fare for an open return to DEL (IGI) ?

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   Where can I find the best fare for an open return to DEL (IGI) ?
From Moscow, Paris, LAX, London, NYC, Johannesburg,...???

rated:
jaimelobo said:   
ShakuniMama said:   Where can I find the best fare for an open return to DEL (IGI) ?
From Moscow, Paris, LAX, London, NYC, Johannesburg,...???

Sorry about that.
It's from US east coast (PHL, NY).

rated:
Excellent list. Thanks!

rated:
It's better to use Kayak in order to find the best airfare deals. I've been using it all the time. Try it! It's really great.

rated:
Hi this is great post and share nice information . thanks for share this view

rated:
Nice post and useful information....

Thanks alot

rated:
Thanks for this!

rated:
You can go on http://allopost.com and carry mails or packages for individuals who pay you back for that.
It makes your airfare less expensive.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014