posted: Aug. 15, 2005 @ 2:00p
Travel Deals FAQ’s/Guidelines and Request Etiquette
Please do not take it personally if someone suggests you look here first. That's what it was designed for - to help you and other members make FW Travel Deals the best it can be.
Before posting a new topic on the board, please make sure that you conduct a SEARCH to make sure that it has not been covered previously.
Many thanks to NatHockens, amszyh, mom2boys, Rack, dumbredneck, bozo007, onecorgilover, jamielobo, and others for their inputs!
This post will be updated as needed.
Most posts on this board can generally be classified into 3 main areas:
1. Travel Deals
2. Request for help (I need air/hotel/car help planning my family vacation)
3. Request for information (Any good recommendations on restaurants in Vegas?)
1. As stated above, please conduct a SEARCH to ensure that the deal was not posted previously.
2. Try to be specific as possible in your title. (Mandalay Bay $20 per night for 08/29 only on Orbitz!)
Request for Help
Before posting a new topic requesting help on the board, please make sure that you conduct a SEARCH to make sure that it has not been covered previously.
Although this board is technically a “Travel Deals” board, many people use it to gain information in helping to plan a trip. Generally speaking, this is acceptable PROVIDED that you include all pertinent information.
1. If you are looking for anything to do with airfare deals , please try HERE first.
2. If you are looking for anything to do with hotel deals, please try HERE first.
3. If you are looking for hotel reviews please check here – Trip Advisor
4. If you are looking for car rental codes, please conduct a SEARCH first. You can also try Rentalcodes.com
5. If you are seeking assistance in planning a trip, please include ALL of the following information:
a. Make sure you begin your Title with “REQUEST - …” For example, “REQUEST – Need cheap air/hotel package to Vegas from LAX in Oct”
b. Dates of travel
c. Departure city (and airports)/destination
d. # of people (adults/children) (if children, you may wish to include ages)
e. # of nights
f. Approximate budget for your trip
g. Activities that interest you
h. WHAT YOU HAVE FOUND SO FAR IN YOUR RESEARCH. Please include complete prices (incl all taxes and fees) and where you have located the deal.
Please DO NOT post a new topic until you have done the items listed above. Finally, once you have posted your information, and received feedback from the community for your trip, please try to post a message indicating the details of what you finally ended up purchasing so that others may benefit.
Request for information, CODES, etc…
You may be surprised at the number of questions and subsequent responses that have been posted to the board covering many topics.
1. Please conduct a SEARCH before you post asking for specific information.
2. Use a web search engine (like www.google.com or www.ask.com) to try to find your answer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find cheap Chinatown consolidators? - thanks dwr1127!
Do I need a visa/passport to go to….? - thanks bozo007!
Research advice for European travel - thanks tap9!
Timeshare Advice - thanks mrmarshmellow & sexyrican!
Promotion Codes for Las Vegas - thanks strosg97!
The Legal fine print of traveling:- thanks onecorgilover! Link
Road tripping? Keep your eyes on the price of gas:- thanks onecorgilover! Link
If you need to check your email while on vacation, check out these cyber cafes:- thanks onecorgilover! NetCafes
Curious about what the airlines are feeding you? Check out this site where photos of in-flight meals are posted:- thanks onecorgilover! Link
Discover which airline seats are the best by investigating the seat maps listed on this site:- thanks onecorgilover! SeatGuru
If you need to locate certain flights at your airport, this site will assist you:- thanks onecorgilover! Timetables
Want restaurant reviews and advice from fellow travelers?- thanks onecorgilover! ChowHound
Disney Echo - thanks mom2boys!
Cruise Compete - thanks onecorgilover!
Frequent Flyer Programs/Questions
Priceline and Hotwire Questions
BiddingForTravel (Priceline Only)
Last Minute Trip Resources - thanks NatHockens!
Last Minute Air Tran
AA Next Weekend Domestic Fares
AA This Weekend Domestic Fares
AA Last Minute International Fares
US Airways Last Minute Getaways
NWA Last Minute Cyber Saver Packages
E-Fares - US Airways E-Savers Flights
Student Universe - thanks amszyh!
Travelcuts - thanks onecorgilover!
STA Travel - thanks onecorgilover!
Lonely Planet Travel Board – Thorn Tree
MSNBC Travel - thanks onecorgilover!
About.com - thanks onecorgilover!
Timeout - thanks onecorgilover!
ViaMichelin - thanks onecorgilover!
FatWallet Member Trip Reports
Negril, Jamaica - Couples
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico - RIU Jalisco
Egypt, Greece and Turkey - Egypt, Greece and Turkey
Aruba - Aruba
Honolulu - Honolulu
Prague - Prague
San Francisco - San Francisco
Marrakech, Morocco and Barcelona, Spain - Marrakech, Morocco and Barcelona, Spain
List of Convention and Visitors Bureaus in the USA:
If you are looking for travel advice and tips straight from the traveler’s mouth:- thanks onecorgilover!
SEARCH Tips -submitted by PeanutButterAndJelly
Here are some tricks for using the search box that is directly above the list of threads.
1) How to search for words in order. Suppose you want to find a thread about borders coupon. Normally this will not match a thread titled "borders $5 off coupon" (try it in HD). If you search for borders % coupon instead, it will find it. The "%" tells the search to ignore any stuff in the thread title that comes between the words "borders” and "coupon". You can use "%" more than once. For example, 256%usb%drive will find all threads that have a "256", "usb", and "drive" in the title (in that order) even if there are other words in between (the first match I got was Iomega Mini 256MB USB2.0 Flash Drivefor $9.99 AR at Staples).
Note: if you search for 256 %usb%drive (with a space after the "256") you are telling the search to find all threads where there is a "256" followed immediately by a space, then some random junk, then "usb", then more random junk, and then "drive".
2) The character "_" is a wild card. It will match any single character. So searching on USB _.0will match threads whose titles are USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 (as well as "USB A.0", "USB B.0", etc)
Please feel free to send me updates to this FAQ, and I can update it as needed.
EDITED 11/10/05 - Updated to include section for Trip Reports
EDITED 03/23/06 - Updated to include Aruba Trip Reports
EDITED 05/19/06 - Updated to include Honolulu and Prague Trip Reports
EDITED 07/07/06 - Updated to include San Francisco and Marrakech, Morocco and Barcelona, Spain Trip Reports