Gone Gone Gone

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • 14 5 67859
  • Page
  • Text Only
This is a great thread on my favorite rental company... however... I had an experience two days ago that should bring caution with the following coupon code from the top post:

"5760339 - Try this one first. It ususally gives the best rates. It is Carlson Travel."

This one did quote a great rate for a three day in Tampa, but when I got to the counter, the National agent refused to give me the rate without my "Carlson Travel agent I.D. card". She would not honor the rate without it. She still had a car to rent to me, but at three times the rate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

i used that contract ID recently (at ohare), and i didnt have any problems with it. it might help if you sign up for the emerald club, so you can bypass the counter.

Well if I doesn't matter, I stand corrected...but I'm guessing it might. The reason it might is the AMEX on is Valid for a free Two Car Class Upgrade with the rental of a compact through midsize car. The other one has no restrictions on car size, which is huge. If anyone out there has used the AMEX two car upgrade at the counter in place of 9262, or been denied trying to do that, let us know. I guess in any event you should have a backup rental car with someone else so if they give you a hassle and want to charge you triple you can tell them what to do.

mlhm5 said: flyiguy said: Wish it was that easy! The AMEX code is 10009493, and it's not the same coupon. I've PM'ed a few people and no one knows how to get it. If anyone does know how to get 10009262, please post or PM. It would be a great help. Thanks

mlhm5 said: Here it is

I copied it from the first page.

What's the difference both are two car upgrades and if you want to use a different contract ID number, National does not care, they just want to see the two car upgrade coupon.

Yes that 10009262 is freaking awesome, its a 2 car class no restrictions, but I just want to be sure I have the coupon so they don't try to downclass me at the last minute when i get there.... please oh please, I hope someone has it to print out!

willemoh said: This is a great thread on my favorite rental company... however... I had an experience two days ago that should bring caution with the following coupon code from the top post:

"5760339 - Try this one first. It ususally gives the best rates. It is Carlson Travel."

This one did quote a great rate for a three day in Tampa, but when I got to the counter, the National agent refused to give me the rate without my "Carlson Travel agent I.D. card". She would not honor the rate without it. She still had a car to rent to me, but at three times the rate.

I'm travelling later this week and I have a reservation with the Carlson code. I REALLY need to know if I'm going to run into trouble. I am an Emerald Club member. Does anybody have any advice for me?

encinc said: willemoh said: This is a great thread on my favorite rental company... however... I had an experience two days ago that should bring caution with the following coupon code from the top post:

I'm travelling later this week and I have a reservation with the Carlson code. I REALLY need to know if I'm going to run into trouble. I am an Emerald Club member. Does anybody have any advice for me?

Please update us on your experience.

I used the carlson code with emerald club last week in ATL., no probs ($134 for wed - sun, ended up with Pontiac G6, although my resv had us down for a Lacrosse).

I used the carlson code this weekend....no problem. THe $10 off didn't work. But got a mid size car, two days for $66.67 in Boston. Good enough deal, methinks.

You can get the Carlson deal by making the reservations thru their site. I always call the local site and ask what documentation I need to rent a car.

Or here is another suggestion
Link1
Link2

We have a code 5000491 that waives the underage fee. Do you know who this code is from? In the terms and conditions it says the underage driver can only rent to full size. What if they need the the Cadillac that seats 6? Will this be a problem.

It also makes it an Emerald Reserve? Any problems taking care of this at the counter?

They didn't ask me for any coupon when I rented. But When I returened, I was charged $600 instead of $150 for minivan ( for four days).

Now they are asking me to mail the 10009262 coupon. The clerk didn't even ask me for coupon or told me how much it's going to cost when I picked up the car?

Any one has 10009262 coupon? Please PM me if you have.

Thanks

It seems the free two-class upgrade coupon 10009262 is risky. May be better to use the AMEX code for free two-class upgrade, although it only works up to intermediate.

Or we should get this one

PeelTheDeal said: They didn't ask me for any coupon when I rented. But When I returened, I was charged $600 instead of $150 for minivan ( for four days).

Now they are asking me to mail the 10009262 coupon. The clerk didn't even ask me for coupon or told me how much it's going to cost when I picked up the car?

Thanks

PeelTheDeal said: They didn't ask me for any coupon when I rented. But When I returened, I was charged $600 instead of $150 for minivan ( for four days).

Thanks

Solution to Your Problem for $4.00

No you are reading it wrong

"Valid for a free Two Car Class Upgrade with the rental of a compact through midsize car in the United Sates and Canada when you pay with your American Express card."

You can upgrade two classes from an intermediate. Also when I use it, I ask for a luxury and they usually give it to me.

mlhm5 said: PeelTheDeal said: They didn't ask me for any coupon when I rented. But When I returened, I was charged $600 instead of $150 for minivan ( for four days).

Thanks

Solution to Your Problem for $4.00

I have emailed the guy, trying to request that he disclose the coupon code to make sure its the same one we are looking for. I hope I hope somoene post the coupon 10009262 - please oh please oh PLEASE oh PLEASE oh PLEASE!!!!!!! Make my Christmas wish come true!!!!!

Is anyone making reservations for early in '06? I will be in Orlando for a week the third week in Jan. and looking to reserve a car. In the past, I've used the Carlson contract id with great success but for this location and dates it offers me nothing for a discount. In fact, most of the contract id's offer little or nothing. Do new contract id's come out for the new year and I need to wait for them? Most of the coupons expire at the end of this year. Do you think a new round of coupons will appear as we approach the new year? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, Willemoh, How did you resolve the problem with Carlson at the counter ?
I will be traveling to Tampa next week, and have reserved a car using the Carlson contract code. I am very eager to know your story. Thanks a lot.

I used the Carlson code last month (Oct.) in Tampa (TPA) with no problems whatsoever. I used Emerald Aisle service and was never challenged for a Carlson ID either on the way out or upon returning the car. I did not need to visit the counter at any point. It was a Thurs - Tues. rental for $131.

Hi, Sector et. al -

I wasn't able to resolve the Carlson ID problem at the Tampa National Counter. The agent offered me an undiscounted car, but the rate was three times as high. Just in case, I had made another reservation with another company (Hertz) as a backup but at Tampa it's very inconvenient since most of the agencies are at the terminal and National is a 5-minute shuttle ride. So, no resolution, I politely said "no thanks" and got back on the shuttle.

Justme1 said: Is anyone making reservations for early in '06? I am! I'm trying to book a car for 4 days at Denver airport. I'll let you know if I stumble across any new coupons. I do have the 2006 Entertainment book. Have you tried those codes yet?

I'm off the hook. I just checked National's last minute specials and I was able to get an even lower rate with that than with the Carlson code. Talk about good luck for me! Thanks for your help anyway.

Has anyone tried "quickrent" with the Carlson code to see if its less hastle with potentially being asked to present a coupon? Supposedly if you choose quickrent you can bypass the check-in desk completely.

Wayne

willemoh said: Hi, Sector et. al -

I wasn't able to resolve the Carlson ID problem at the Tampa National Counter. The agent offered me an undiscounted car, but the rate was three times as high. Just in case, I had made another reservation with another company (Hertz) as a backup but at Tampa it's very inconvenient since most of the agencies are at the terminal and National is a 5-minute shuttle ride. So, no resolution, I politely said "no thanks" and got back on the shuttle.

I was just back from Tampa. I didn't go through the counter because I used Emrald Aisle. The lady did ask me to present the coupon for upgrade. First she said the coupon didn't work out in the computer system and then it took her a while to figure it out. But she didn't challenge me for the Carlson ID. Yes the National and Almo counter is away from the airport. It's very inconvienient. But the car returning process is fast and easy. The guy who inspected the car has a scan machine that can print the receipt right away.

Thanks, Willemoh and all. I really appreciate the info you guys shared here. I will use my Emrald membership to bypass the counter, to avoid potential problems.

sotang said: willemoh said: Hi, Sector et. al -

I was just back from Tampa. I didn't go through the counter because I used Emrald Aisle. The lady did ask me to present the coupon for upgrade. First she said the coupon didn't work out in the computer system and then it took her a while to figure it out. But she didn't challenge me for the Carlson ID. Yes the National and Almo counter is away from the airport. It's very inconvienient. But the car returning process is fast and easy. The guy who inspected the car has a scan machine that can print the receipt right away.

Sounds like the free "quickrent" might satisfy the same concerns then for those that can't get the emerald membership since its no longer free.

Edit, duhh. Read the first post with the link to free emerald. Thanks!

sector said: Thanks, Willemoh and all. I really appreciate the info you guys shared here. I will use my Emrald membership to bypass the counter, to avoid potential problems.

Just confirming that the code 5000491 waives the underage fee and also includes a full LDW?? So I do not need to pay the underage fee at all??

no national in my city

playlife said: Just confirming that the code 5000491 waives the underage fee and also includes a full LDW?? So I do not need to pay the underage fee at all??
yeah, just wondering about this too. wanted to make sure it really does waive the underage fee. also, this is an Ohio State code. from what i've read online, i believe that the full LDW only applies to Ohio State-affiliated trips, so you would probably have to show Ohio State affiliation to apply the coverage.

but, from what people are saying, this does work to waive the underage fee without needing to show affiliation?

I posted this in an earlier message; but I just want to stress that the free LDW/SLI won't do you any good when you actually need to file a claim. They may not challenge you at the counter when you pick up the car; but when you have to file a report for any damage, they will ask for proof of affiliation.

On a separate note, the free weekend day coupons I have tried all have blackout days around Xmas. Is there one that works on those days? TIA.

I have the same question about this underage code, do I need to show them the OSU ID or something like that? that will kill the deal. I'll rent a car from San Jose and drop it off at San Diego. Please, someone used this code please tell me. thanks

breity said: playlife said: Just confirming that the code 5000491 waives the underage fee and also includes a full LDW?? So I do not need to pay the underage fee at all??
yeah, just wondering about this too. wanted to make sure it really does waive the underage fee. also, this is an Ohio State code. from what i've read online, i believe that the full LDW only applies to Ohio State-affiliated trips, so you would probably have to show Ohio State affiliation to apply the coverage.

but, from what people are saying, this does work to waive the underage fee without needing to show affiliation?

Try using the one on the BJ's flyer.

timrick8 said:
On a seperate node, the free weekend day coupons I have tried all have blackout days around Xmas. Is there one that works on those days? TIA.

Will be trying the Carlson code out in West Palm Beach in 2 weeks, any experience?

SunDiego123 said: mlhm5 said:
You can stack the offers ie. contract IDs with coupon codes. In this case, you can rent for a weekend and then get a free weekend day

Free Weekend Day + 5760339 contract code + 10009262 - double class upgrade = big savings.

Great deal. I've been watching rental car deals for a November trip. This has given me an awesome deal! Beats out all other coupons/companies I've tried so far. Thanks OP.

HELP - how do I stack them??? I need a car in Vegas the 4th - 10th and I'm new at this rental thing? Anyone have any suggestions?

Meffy

meffnet said: HELP - how do I stack them??? I need a car in Vegas the 4th - 10th and I'm new at this rental thing? Anyone have any suggestions?Meffy, by "stack" we're talking about combining different contract ID #'s (like Carlson 5760339) with various coupon codes. You need to experiment to find the contract ID and coupon code combination that works best for you. When you go to National's site, there are two separate fields on the input form for you to enter each of the codes. Also, if you're using an UPGRADE coupon code, you need to know if it's upgrading you from a compact to a full-size for example, then select COMPACT and you'll see a fullsize car at compact rate. Hope that makes sense.

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THE 10009262?

Thanks OP, you saved me about $75 on a 3-day Vegas rental!

Sorta weird that the two lowest class of case both "upgraded" to a full size with the 2-class upgrade coupon, but the price was of course different....I of course picked the lowest prices one!

I was finally able to get this to work for the last week of the year. It wasn't accepting the AMEX coupon online so I called it in. Seven days for $200 total for a Full Size, yes!

I've also been disappointed with trying to make a reservation for January. I'm doing Ithaca -> EWR one way for $53, using 5760339 and an entertainment book coupon +2 class if they ask me for it. But coming back in January I'm seeing rates of at best $90 for that, and most of the rate codes are giving me $156/DAY!

The National thing with all the different codes is getting tiring. Don't get me wrong, I love Emerald Aisle, and I love that I've managed to drive a convertible for my last two rentals for the price of an intermediate (LAX and SEA!), and they did me an amazing deal renting a convertible for a week one-way roadtrip from Oregon to New York for <$100/day. But every time I want to rent a car it's an hour long ordeal of randomly stuffing in different rate codes and coupons. It's frustrating.

Anyway. Anyone got anything valid in 2006? The Entertainment Book coupons are pretty useless on one-day rentals: only the +1 and +2 classes are valid, and those just don't change much.

j

For me Contract ID 5760339 (Try this one first. It ususally gives the best rates. It is Carlson Travel)

and

Coupon ID number 10009262

got me a very good rate with discount...

Emerald Club Asile intermediate rental for around $160/wk + tax...

With 5066914/5760339/10009123 I got a week in NoCal for $160 including tax

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 14 5 67859
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.