LAS VEGAS FRONT DESK TIPPING!

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • 14 5 67861
  • Page
  • Text Only
I am going to try this when I go to the Aladdin next week.
But since I am a Starwood member, shouldn't I get an upgrade for free anyway?

Well, I will let you guys know how it goes.

karkura said: I am going to try this when I go to the Aladdin next week.
But since I am a Starwood member, shouldn't I get an upgrade for free anyway?

Well, I will let you guys know how it goes.

only if you are elite:

Starwood Platinum: You'll automatically be upgraded to our best available guest room at check-in. Best room varies by property and includes select standard suite.

Starwood Gold: As an elite member, you don't need to redeem Starpoints for a room upgrade --- you'll automatically be given a Preferred Room at check-in when available.

No status Starwood: As few as 1,000 Starpoints can get you an upgrade to a Specialty Room or Suite at participating Starwood hotels and resorts. Arrange an upgrade before your stay or when you arrive at the hotel.

But as former Starwood Pt, i remember i used to occasionally have to remind them at checkin if there was an upgrade available.

Just got back from a weekend rendez-vous at the Mirage.

I tried the 20 dollar trick, but I don't think the guy took notice of my 20 bucks on the counter in fron of him. I think he thought that I was trying to get a suite upgrade for free, which he said was $600 dollars in difference between the current deluxe room I had.

He was very polite and offered me a view of the strip at no extra charge, but I wish he woulda looked down for a second and catch a glimpse of my bribery, but he kept eye contact with me throughout our coversation.

well worth a try and i will definitely try this again in the future. i never hurts to try.

I wonder if the 20$ trick would work getting on an airplane?

Stayed at the Paris hotel and asked for a room with a view of the Strip. Was told that it would be an additional $60/night!

Just booked at the Venetian. Wondering if this is worth trying just for a Strip view? It's $30 a night more for a strip view....but there are a lot of those, no? And we're staying there 4/8-4/11.

What are your takes???

Banchai said: Just got back from a weekend rendez-vous at the Mirage.

I tried the 20 dollar trick, but I don't think the guy took notice of my 20 bucks on the counter in fron of him. I think he thought that I was trying to get a suite upgrade for free, which he said was $600 dollars in difference between the current deluxe room I had.

He was very polite and offered me a view of the strip at no extra charge, but I wish he woulda looked down for a second and catch a glimpse of my bribery, but he kept eye contact with me throughout our coversation.

well worth a try and i will definitely try this again in the future. i never hurts to try.

I think the folding under the credit card is the best bet. There are cameras everywhere in Vegas, management wouldn't want anyone to just stroll in with a $20, hand it to the guy and now every schlub is in a suite... Keep it incognito and I think chances increase. I haven't tried this myself yet, but awesome idea that I can't wait to try.

spectra said: THEhotel is very, VERY, nice! I've stayed there twice. The week it opened and once again this past August.
Both times I used the $20 trick. The first time all the $20 did was allow me to upgrade to the larger room, for an extra $100 added to the rate! Definitely NOT worth it. These rooms are the ones on the end of the hall and they are slightly larger (in the bedroom), and have a 42" Plasma in the bedroom as well as the living room. Otherwise than that they are exactly the same room. They might have upgraded since then, just ask, if they give you the "well it's larger and has a Plasma TV in the bedroom for an additional $100" routine, then Pass...

This past August the $20 got me a Strip View room on a high floor (both things I politely suggested). Great view! Definitely worth the extra $20.

Best bet is to keep the cheap rate and offer the $20 to get a room that views the strip. Remember if you are staying multiple days, that $20 covers the entire stay, GO FOR IT! Remember half of the rooms here have a great view and the other half stare at the desert, so $20 goes a long way in helping the desk clerk decide which room to assign.

Spectra, we may have been there at the same time. I was there August 3rd - 6th. I loved that hotel, probably the nicest aside from the Peninsula, that I have stayed at. Great bathrooms. Also, another trick to remember, especially for first times to certain hotels if you're with your wife or girlfriend, tell them you are on your honeymoon. That is upgrade city and usually some champagne too. In fact, the only place the honeymoon story doesn't really work seems to be with airlines....stingy bastids!

spectra said: I have stayed at Luxor at least once each year for the past seven years. I've never tipped the desk clerk here, but I always got my request of a ground floor tower room with a smile and a thank you.

My description of the Luxor is it is usually the cheapest of the "nice" places. I've never stayed in one of their suites but I have stayed in both the Pyramid and Tower rooms. If you are going for quality over location ask to be given a Tower room. These are in the two towers that were added to the north side of the pyramid. Although their location isn't as cool as staying in the pyramid they are a much better room for the same price. The size of the tower rooms are bigger and they are more lavishly appointed, especially in the bathroom (you get a DEEP tub and a separate glass shower).

Whatever you do make sure you enter through the front door when you first get there. Once you smell the cinnamon scent they inject into the air of the lobby you will know you have arrived. The first step inside the door is breathtaking, you will see... The valet is free so just pull the car up to the valet stand and go inside. Have fun...I'm checking into "The Lux" next Friday!

I've always avoided the towers because I was thinking there's no way they could match the "cool" factor of the angled wall in the pyramid.. It looks like the tower rooms are actually $10 more per night. I guess the reasons you mentioned are why this is so. Good review, thanks.

What about a family of 5 headed to Circus Circus for 4 nights?
Are there better rooms that would accomodate all of us? Staying in the West Tower currently....

Tower rooms at the Luxor used to be cheaper...I guess it's the other way around now with being $10 more?

Thinking about taking a trip to Vegas and staying at The Wynn @ the resort Room. You think the $20 trick would work there at all? I heard this is one of the nicest hotels in Vegas... Any tips?

Thanks

I stayed at Aladdin a few weeks ago, and tried the trick. The girl was gracious, but said there wasn't much she could do because they were so booked because of the electronics convention in town. I folded it up and put it away, but continued to chat it up with her. She was a shy girl, but really opened up as I started joking and talking to her. I gave in and told her I suppose I would be happy as long as they didn't put me in the basement. That really seemed to break the ice. She ended up giving in and said she had to go talk to her manager about helping out with the room since they were so busy. I got upgraded to a room on the top floor with a beautiful view of the strip. You have to use your room key just to get up there. I didn't even think there were normal rooms on that floor, but their were. It was funny because they had people patroling the hallways at all hours. I found out when I checked out that Britney Spears was just down the hall from us.

Anyway, I got an upgrade and saved $20 in the process, all when the girl told me it couldn't be done. I'd recommend being very nice, talkative, and joke a little. Once they loosen up, drop a hint about a better room and see where it goes.

Does anyone know if this works at the hard rock i have rooms booked at the hard rock but for what we are paying we should get better rooms.

Flawlessly said: I think it's hard to resist the deals from Priceline, Hotwire, and other booking system instead of paying higher price at their own hotel websites. If I can get a better view while booking a room at hotel website and more money, I still don't understand the 20 dollars trick because you actually pay more than others. Oh and you have to give them another 20 bucks just for a better view. That's just not right!

I have always found better deals on the hotel websites.

JakeTheSnake said: Tower rooms at the Luxor used to be cheaper...I guess it's the other way around now with being $10 more?

It's a little weird. When I checked Luxor rates with the offer on this thread it showed the Tower rooms as $10 more than the Pyramid rooms. When I checked Luxor rates without the offer, Tower rooms were $10 LESS.

Frogleg311 said: Thinking about taking a trip to Vegas and staying at The Wynn @ the resort Room. You think the $20 trick would work there at all? I heard this is one of the nicest hotels in Vegas... Any tips?

Thanks

Just got back from the Wynn. Stayed there Thursday night 1/26. Originally booked a resort room at the $159 special. When I got there I handed the lady my Visa with a folded up $20 underneath. She saw the $20 and said this must have fallen out of your wallet? I said no it's for you...and I'd really like a room with 2 beds (they don't let you confirm bed arrangements). I was magically upgraded to a Tower Suite with 2 beds. Very nice, but the standard tower suite rooms are EXACTLY the same as the resort rooms. They are not worth the extra $100 or so above the regular rates for the private lobby and pool area.

If you are there on a weeknight be sure to sign up for the Red Card players card. They have a promotion where the first 50 points earns you two free buffets! I put $20 into a video poker $.25 machine and cashed out $34 20 minutes later, then put the $34 into a $.25 wheel of fortune machine and cashed out $54 in another 20 mintues. That's what it took to earn my 2 free comped ($25each) lunch buffets. The only thing better than a buffet at the Wynn is a free buffet at the Wynn.

holly90000 said:

It's a little weird. When I checked Luxor rates with the offer on this thread it showed the Tower rooms as $10 more than the Pyramid rooms. When I checked Luxor rates without the offer, Tower rooms were $10 LESS.

If you have reservations at the Luxor check back at least once EVERY day until you get there. My reservation for Friday 1/27 was originally $149, it then dropped to $129, then $119, then $109, then $99. I was almost laughing two days later when it dropped to $89. Every time a quick call to the reservation hotline got me changed to the then current rate.

I'm gonna have to try this in AC... I'm in NJ and a trip to Vegas in the near future is out of the question...

I've been to Vegas several times, here are a couple recent experiences with upgrades:

- Stayed at the Venetian 'Venezia' VIP Tower August 17-23, and upon check-in, I gave the clerk a huge smile and small chitchat, a few jokes, and very politely mentioned that I would greatly appreciate an upgrade if available and I would be forever grateful. He couldn't have been happier to oblige, so he upgraded me to a luxury suite with a lcd tv in the bathroom and all the likes. I also mentioned that It was my fiancee's birthday and if they could do something special for him. He said 'it was taken care of'. After a little sightseeing, we returned to our room to find a huge bottle of champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries and a birthday card! After that trip, I wrote the general manager a letter of how pleased I was with the hotel, and they comped us two nights. The best part is, we never even gambled!

- Stayed at Bellagio, Jan 6-10, and asked the same way as the Venetian, and they upgraded us to a room right below the penthouse with a gorgeous view of the fountains and also offered us a 50 dining credit.

There are many similar stories to these, but I think you get the idea. Here are some tips for success like I had without any tipping required:

- Be very friendly
- Smile a lot
- Be sincere and make eye contact
- Take interest in whoever is serving you, they are people too, ask them how their day is going, you'll be surprised how much they'll want to help you if they feel you actually respect them.
- Say the clerk's name alot, it means you care.
- Don't demand anything! Tell them you would really appreciate if they could...
- Take your time, don't try to rush through the process, the tables will wait

It may sound like BS, but trust me, if you do all these things, you will not only get an upgrade etc., but you'll find yourself an ally in an unfamiliar city. I've told many friends/family about my little tips (young, old, men, women) and they've all had success - ok, I'm starting to feel like I'm on an informercial, LOL.

Good luck!!

spectra said: Frogleg311 said: Thinking about taking a trip to Vegas and staying at The Wynn @ the resort Room. You think the $20 trick would work there at all? I heard this is one of the nicest hotels in Vegas... Any tips?

Thanks

Just got back from the Wynn. Stayed there Thursday night 1/26. Originally booked a resort room at the $159 special. When I got there I handed the lady my Visa with a folded up $20 underneath. She saw the $20 and said this must have fallen out of your wallet? I said no it's for you...and I'd really like a room with 2 beds (they don't let you confirm bed arrangements). I was magically upgraded to a Tower Suite with 2 beds. Very nice, but the standard tower suite rooms are EXACTLY the same as the resort rooms. They are not worth the extra $100 or so above the regular rates for the private lobby and pool area.

If you are there on a weeknight be sure to sign up for the Red Card players card. They have a promotion where the first 50 points earns you two free buffets! I put $20 into a video poker $.25 machine and cashed out $34 20 minutes later, then put the $34 into a $.25 wheel of fortune machine and cashed out $54 in another 20 mintues. That's what it took to earn my 2 free comped ($25each) lunch buffets. The only thing better than a buffet at the Wynn is a free buffet at the Wynn.

Well, ill be there Thursday night late, Friday, Saturday and checkout Sunday... i'll try and see if I can get upgraded to a better room. The resort room is nice as is, but it is for my GF's Bday, so I will see if they can do anything special. Also when you mentioned the buffet thing, will it work on Late Thursday night? We will prob. be getting to the hotel at around 1130PM or later? Lemme know anything else useful at the Wynn.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering is $20 tips at Sahara worthwhile? My boyfriend and I booked from destina.ca for 3 days (14-17), at 40USD per night...

I realized the comments are not really good for Sahara after the booking...but cancellation costs like 30CAD, so it seems like not really worth to switch to other hotels, plus we don't have a lot of budget...wanna spend more on shopping...well...a better place to sleep at night of course will be better...but...

thx

Thanks for your detailed info. I greatly appreciate it.

Do you (or anyone else reading) know of or had have had a unsuccessful or bad experience trying to tip for upgrade or asking for an upgrade? Just wanted to know where to perhaps avoid doing this?

I am traveling during an off peak time Feb 13-16 and checking in at about 7:30 pm... currently I have Hard Rock Reservations... but entertainly other hotels until the deadline. My buddy and I are most in our mid 20s... in case they "profile people"... if that makes any difference.

Thanks again!

Has anyone tried the trick with a "poker room" rate? When I booked the room at the Stardust using the rate, the lady sounded like "You have to stay in the Villa Suites." So I'm wondering if there's a major rule on that or will I have good shot of getting a better room with $20.

Frogleg311 said:

Well, ill be there Thursday night late, Friday, Saturday and checkout Sunday... i'll try and see if I can get upgraded to a better room. The resort room is nice as is, but it is for my GF's Bday, so I will see if they can do anything special. Also when you mentioned the buffet thing, will it work on Late Thursday night? We will prob. be getting to the hotel at around 1130PM or later? Lemme know anything else useful at the Wynn.

Thanks in advance

I didn't get there until 11:00pm or so either. $20 ought to do, but try extra hard, maybe $30 or $50 for the "free" upgrade since you will get to keep the same room for your 3 night stay...that could work out to $17/day extra for a MUCH better room! Keep an eye out though for a very professional looking person behind the check-in desk that isn't really helping anyone. He is the boss, the first time we were there the lady wouldn't take the twenty until he left...then a better room magically opened up!

I think the comped buffets are only good during the week. Like I said, 30 minutes at a quarter slot machine earned me 2 free buffets. Also, it's worth the walk down to the pro shop. Ask them to let you go out to the patio for a look at the waterfall...

Does anyone have any tips for Monte Carlo as far as tipping goes?

kangtong80 said: Does anyone have any tips for Monte Carlo as far as tipping goes?

yep, see this thread

atrain929 said: kangtong80 said: Does anyone have any tips for Monte Carlo as far as tipping goes?

yep, see this thread

haha

Despite the sarcastic reply above, there is no mention of anyone having success at the Monte Carlo in the thread.

I did attempt this, of sorts, and the front desk person couldn't do anything herself without manager approval so this didn't work for me.

traebon said: Despite the sarcastic reply above, there is no mention of anyone having success at the Monte Carlo in the thread.

I did attempt this, of sorts, and the front desk person couldn't do anything herself without manager approval so this didn't work for me.

I think the sarcasm was to point out that this thread is not hotel specific.

There will never be a definitive answer like "Hotel-X does not work and never will," so get out there, try it for yourself, and report back your results.

I posted a review about my trip in the LAS VEGAS thread, but thought I would add the 20 dollar specifics at MGM in here as well...

MGM: First of all, I was anxiously awaiting to try the "20 dollar trick". We arrived at the airport, I found the MGM check in place, got my CC fold a 20 neatly and concealed it completely under the CC with the 20 showing underneath. Handed the man my card, he felt the money pulled it out and slipped it straight to his pocket. I was nice in speaking to him and he told me 'Sir I will see what I can do for you'. After about 2 minutes banging away on his computer, he pulls the 20 back from his pocket slides it to me, I cup my hand over it, he says "I appoligize sir but we have no suites available during your stay, the room you have is the best we can do'. He check us on into a 'West Wing' room and I gave him a 5 for his troubles anways. A few things to notice, 1.)I concealed the money and never asked for an upgrade, he knew EXACTLY what I wanted, 2.)He gave IT BACK when he could not provide me with an upgrade, 3.)I think had any suites been available we would have for sure gotten one, 4.)Had to add that NOBODY needed/asked for my Players Card (which I didnt have until I got to the acutal MGM). Now, once we got to the MGM, I will say that I was not impressed AT ALL with the West Wing room, It was VERY SMALL as far as hotel rooms go (I've been in Motel 6's with larger rooms) and everything is very retro which just isnt my thing. Now I am not complaining because I got the room for only 59 but I guess I was let down since I expected any room in Vegas would be 'one of the nicer hotels I have ever stayed at' which was not close to the case.

I'm staying at Caesars this weekend for free both Fri & Sat (they sent me a postcard in the mail, I usually stay at Ballys & use my players card). I am wondering if the $20 trick will work for upgrading a free room?

I'm booked for 2 standard rooms at Imperial Palace arriving Thursday night - Sunday checkout. We have 10 guys in our party and we'd like to have 2 queens bed (Deluxe room). Should I confirm for 2 double beds now or just do the $20 trick when we check-in?

i would call the ip and make sure you have the 2 beds requested arriving on a thursday you should have no problems have fun and good luck

Dustin,

I will be at Caesars this weekend as well. How much do you normally play in order to get comped a free room..

Thanks

due to demand in Vegas, comps are getting ridiculously high. I think free room at Ceasars takes 4 hours of $100/hand betting at tables games...no idea for video poker/slots but I'm sure you would have to be playing max coin-in on a $1 machine to even get considered for comps. most of the bigger/nicer strip casinos are $100/hand 4 hour minimum to get free rooms. The Wynn and Bellagio are even more than that.

for comparison since last year at the stratosphere I am averaging $25-30/hand for 8-10 hours per weekend stay and they have recently started to only comp me free nigths during the week, no Fri/Sat comps (but heavy discounts).

also Dustin may be on some other promotion list to get the free room offers (other than comps).

hey, maybe that is a good idea for another travel post - what do people play to get comps in vegas?!

I visit Vegas once every few months (I'm in LA, so it's a short drive). I almost always stay and play at Ballys (or other properties where I can use the connection card). Last time I asked, I'm rated somewhere between $25-50/hand for 4-6 hours - certainly not high enough to earn a straight comped room.

However, I have noticed that recently Caesars has been sending out many offers (snail mail, on oversized postcards) for free rooms + some incentive (this could be due to Caesars opening the new Tower and having excess rooms). The offer I'm using this weekend was for 2 free nights in a given range of dates (2/5-2/9, 2/17-2/28) and a free Sirius satellite radio receiver and car kit. Definitely hot! Whats likely, as a Spanky said previously, is that I am on a favorable offer list.

All I can say is that it really pays to use the loyalty card!

Does the $20 Trick work at car rental agencies???

So when you fold the twenty and place it under your credit card and hand it over... you don't want it to be visable right? because then the eyes in the sky or a manager might see right? I wanna make sure because I plan to try this when I go to vegas in two weeks and don't want to mess up.

opthalmic said: So when you fold the twenty and place it under your credit card and hand it over... you don't want it to be visable right? because then the eyes in the sky or a manager might see right? I wanna make sure because I plan to try this when I go to vegas in two weeks and don't want to mess up.

I personally have not tried it yet, but I've read several posts that say that while it should be folded and put under your CC, that a small corner of it should be visible so that the desk agent knows it's there.

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 14 5 67861
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014