LAS VEGAS FRONT DESK TIPPING!

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • 1 2 34561
  • Page
  • Text Only
calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

call the cops and claim that you're a member of Fat Wallet

calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

Walk way from the front desk, and slowly "mooning" the clerk?

Then you lost your first bet in Las Vegas...

You shouldn't actually hand over the money unless you know you are getting the upgrade. Ask about the upgrade with the $20 bill visible along with your credit card, if they say no, take the $20 bill back and just handover the card only.

stanax said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

LMAO.

wutsdadealio said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

You shouldn't actually hand over the money unless you know you are getting the upgrade. Ask about the upgrade with the $20 bill visible along with your credit card, if they say no, take the $20 bill back and just handover the card only.

DIng, Ding, Ding...we have a winner!!! This is the correct way to safely grease the wheels.

ArnoldRimmer said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

LMFAO!!

During a Priceline bid stay at a hotel, I like to look at other people's bill to compare how much I saved by going through Priceline and found that another Priceline bidder was given a SUITE! I don't know if this person asked for an upgrade, did the $20 tip or ??? I rarely get treated well with Priceline bookings needless to say upgrades!!!

stanax said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

Hahahaha

SonOfZeus said: wutsdadealio said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

DIng, Ding, Ding...we have a winner!!! This is the correct way to safely grease the wheels.
you could also hand them the card and the $20, while doing it ask if you can be upgraded to a suite - and if they say something like "Oh its $20 per night more", then tell them to apply the $20 to the room charge. Its simpler than asking for your money back, and its not like they can refuse to do it, and theyre more likely to keep the cash and just give you the room.

This thread is great! I will be doing this for sure.. not only in Vegas, anywhere!

SKYravefever said: ternyik said: I've heard that you can get a comped room simply by asking the front desk to hold a $10,000 cashier's check in their safe for you. You don't even have to cash the check. Get the comped room and return the check to your bank after the trip.

I haven't tried this yet. But a friend of mine has a couple of times and it's worked for him. Anyone else do this?

I can see it now, upon checkout...

"May I have my cashier's check from the safe?"
"What cashier's check?"

The cashier's check that was sent to me from Nigeria

Ok - So I tried the $20 tip at the Luxor. He said everything is sold out. I would have to think this is B.S. since the Luxor has the most rooms on the strip. He did upgrade me to a high floor w/ a nice view.

Oh and of course I also received a smile since he just got $20.

I'll be back at the Luxor in a couple weeks to try again and I'll be sure to ask for a Pyramid Spa Suite!

CASunBoy said: Ok - So I tried the $20 tip at the Luxor. He said everything is sold out. I would have to think this is B.S. since the Luxor has the most rooms on the strip. He did upgrade me to a high floor w/ a nice view.

Oh and of course I also received a smile since he just got $20.

I'll be back at the Luxor in a couple weeks to try again and I'll be sure to ask for a Pyramid Spa Suite!

shouldve told him to bring your bags up to the room with a USA Today and an LIT

i've done this twice in vegas both with success...

the first was at the mgm grand. we had booked 7 days online for a very cheap price and limited rooms available. the key here was the mgm offers airport checkins where the clerks are basically unsupervised. i handed over my credit card and 20 dollars underneath it. the lady smiled and upgraded me to a suite no problem. beats the hell out of our friends who stayed in the old tower rooms with paper thin walls and broken air conditioning... and we paid less.

the second was at the luxor. we booked through their website for a pretty decent price. got there and checked in. again handed my credit card over and 20 dollars underneath it. the girl upgraded me to a whirpool suite. that trip still ranks up there as one of my best all time trips.

rk

What online rez site offers its prez suite to book.... none
When have you ever seen a Vegas hotel suite $20 more than the deluxe room.... NEVER

wutsdadealio said: theGlove said: the $20 trick works because.... that's how much it costs to get an upgrade.
ie, normal room = 60 , upgraded roomm = 75, etc.

I agree, when you go online to check room prices the difference in price between the standard and next room up might even be less than $20 depending on the hotel. I'd make sure you know this info and the kind of suite you want (jacuzzi, presidential, etc) before you offer $20.

tweekerz said: What online rez site offers its prez suite to book.... none
When have you ever seen a Vegas hotel suite $20 more than the deluxe room.... NEVER

I was just giving hypothetical examples, chill out. My point was when using the $20 trick, know what room they are upgrading you to and/or ask specifically for what you want. Let's say you booked a "standard" room and you tip $20 and ask for an upgrade, they upgrade you to the "deluxe" room. Sounds good but the deluxe room could just be a room that's a little bigger than the standard and with a fridge. That's the type of upgrade given most of the time. If that's worth it to you hand over the $20, otherwise I'd skip it.

I booked a suite in Venetian for 4 nights this month ($110 per night using Priceline).
I am going to try the "$20 trick" and let you all know if it worked for me

You won't need it at the Venetian- save your cash. The rooms there are huge

Thank you for giving me the best laugh I've had in years!

This is a catch 22 because an upgrade from standard to deluxe is not worth the hassle but an upgrade to a suite can't be guaranteed.

Superkman said: You won't need it at the Venetian- save your cash. The rooms there are huge

Maybe an upgrade to the concierge level can be had?

I stayed at the Palms last week. It was quite nice. We didn't pay the cashier anything, and we were placed in the new Fantasy tower. The rooms are already very nice; each room also comes with a whirlpool tub. The Palms has great service, and we were treated right. I met a lady on the plane who told me she paid $600 a night for a suite at the Venetian with her niece. They locked her out of her room at midnight one night and she had to go all the way back to the lobby with bad knees (she needed knee replacement surgery on both knees). The front desk was rude to her and she had to talk to a manager before they unlocked her room for her.

Take it from someone who used to work as a front desk. While front desk doesn't get commission, they do the sale, and when a reservation come, the front desk assign the room. Thus, if you act nice, friendly, and u'll get a decent room, sometime a upgrade or some free service (YMMV - if a lot of those deluxe room are available). If u act like a jerk and the front desk doesn't want any headache, he might give you an nice room too, but don't even think about an upgrade or some free service. And of course, chance are u'll get a junky room.
IMO, tipping help a lot, as long as you give the tip in a nice way, not a "look down" way. Don't give $1, give a $5 or a $10. $20 is a bit too much, but it's depend on the kind of hotel + how long your stay is. Also, give the tip early + ask for the upgrade ... early as the front desk might has to do some extra work to change the room after he assigns it (depend on the system).

I recently stayed at the Aladdin during the week. We booked our trip through expedia. I told the desk clerk it was my first time in Vegas. He asked us if we would like to upgrade our room. We asked how much it would cost and he gave us a price sheet. As we proceeded to look at it. He said too late. I already upgraded you for free. We ended up getting a room on the top floor. You needed to use your hotel room key in the elevator just to get access to the floor. Basically no tip was needed. Was sweet room that overlooked the fountains at Belagio. Was a great way to start off my trip.
My friend is a business traveler also. Trick he uses is he tells them he recently got married and misses his wife and asks for a room with a nice view. Almost always gets room upgrade for free.

bump, anyone else try this? It's a fun thread to follow.

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Imperial Palace and tried this tip. We gave the desk clerk $20 and asked to be upgraded to a suite with a "luv tub". The clerk told us he would see what he could do and came back and told us he had upgraded us to the suite. Worked liked a charm.

Has anyone tried this trick in other cities besides Vegas??

I was going to try this at the Omni in Chicago through a Priceline reservation but the front desk person didn't ask for credit card or ID Or anything so didn't even have a chance to give a tip. He just gave my room assignment and off I went.

Will be in Vegas in January...maybe I can get a suite?

going to mgm grand tomorrow (24th) for 3 nights. def will try the $20 (maybe even $40) trick but i know their rooms are pretty booked so i don't know what the chances are. will let y'all know if i get the upgrade! wish me luck!!!

$20 slipped to the receptionist at the Venetian got me upgraded from a $99 Priceline-bought regular room to a Piazza Suite that was bigger than my apartment.

Definitely worth the $20 tip IMHO.

Ivanist said: ArnoldRimmer said: calguy77 said: What happens if you hand them the $20 and they don't give you the upgrade?

LMFAO!!

Although I like the previously mentioned idea, here is an alternative:
Hand them your $20 or keep it on the counter in plain sight with your hand on it. Ask them if a complimentary suite upgrade is available. If they say an upgrade is not available, ask them for change! I need change for the vending machines, please. Could I please have 10 ones and two fives. My husband gets cranky without his doritos and coke. Thanks a lot! (The $20 should always work if you are very friendly and there is actually a better room available.)

lol this has been a very humorous thread!

i love FW...

it is the funniest thread i have ever seen.

think this trick will work elsewhere as well?

PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?
actually i am so interested to see if it would even work in hotels in oversea.
i am going to visit taipei, taiwan, and hongkong. I plan to use my hotel pt for a room, but would love to get an upgrade too.

Hey , guys I am going to LV hilton for New Years ..you think the 20$ would wok .. or is it going to be too busy to even attempt it ..
Thanks

mosh1977 said: Hey , guys I am going to LV hilton for New Years ..you think the 20$ would wok .. or is it going to be too busy to even attempt it ..
Thanks

Can't get blood from a turnip. The best rooms are sold out first.

How is your trip? Did it work?

plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?
actually i am so interested to see if it would even work in hotels in oversea.
i am going to visit taipei, taiwan, and hongkong. I plan to use my hotel pt for a room, but would love to get an upgrade too.

chinese are pretty stingy... so i don't think it will ever work.

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 1 2 34561
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014