LAS VEGAS FRONT DESK TIPPING!

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • 12 3 4561
  • Page
  • Text Only
Anyone try this when boarding a cruise ship?!?!

Turtleman said: plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?
actually i am so interested to see if it would even work in hotels in oversea.
i am going to visit taipei, taiwan, and hongkong. I plan to use my hotel pt for a room, but would love to get an upgrade too.

chinese are pretty stingy... so i don't think it will ever work.

i am not offended but isn't this racist?

SkinnyWalletCom said: Turtleman said: plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?
i am going to visit taipei, taiwan, and hongkong. I plan to use my hotel pt for a room, but would love to get an upgrade too.

yes

Does it work for all part of USA? I am going to NYC next week, any clue?

GSPC said: Does it work for all part of USA? I am going to NYC next week, any clue?

If you read the back of the $20, it says it excludes NY.

have read all the previous posts, cannot find a topic beside Las Vegas

horizon6 said: SkinnyWalletCom said: Turtleman said: plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?

yes

hey that ain't racist if im chinese myself and im speaking the truth.

All the hotel owner in Taiwan keep a tight watch on the room capacity, you only get the room that you booked for. Don't ever think about
tipping the clerk and try to get a free upgrade, because the manger or someone is always there watching...
Why I know ? because my friend work at Westin in Taipei, and they don't do any upgrade or get tips in Taiwan either. JFYI

Ericsan13 said: Anyone try this when boarding a cruise ship?!?!

I think your rooms/cabin on cruises are arranged prior to your arrival so I don't think it would work.

Ericsan13 said: GSPC said: Does it work for all part of USA? I am going to NYC next week, any clue?

That is a great response. Thanks for the chuckle.

ROFLMAO!!

Turtleman said: horizon6 said: SkinnyWalletCom said: Turtleman said: plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?

yes

All the hotel owner in Taiwan keep a tight watch on the room capacity, you only get the room that you booked for. Don't ever think about
tipping the clerk and try to get a free upgrade, because the manger or someone is always there watching...
Why I know ? because my friend work at Westin in Taipei, and they don't do any upgrade or get tips in Taiwan either. JFYI

I see. Since I am going to use my starwood hotel points, i can get any rooms i want to (too many pts from working my previous job). Or just mention my previous employer and I hopefully I could get an upgrade (with my hotel status.. etc)

Turtleman said: hey that ain't racist if im chinese myself and im speaking the truth.

Sound like racism to me. You grouped all the Chinese together based on your friend's experience in one hotel in Taiwan. If this is not racism, what is?

Irish need not apply.

/Just sayin'

I think everything needs to stop getting off topic.

Hi,
We just returned from LV today, Dec. 17th.
Stayed for 4 nights at the Aladdin ($49/n from FW post, Thanks!).
Arrived very late, @ 11:45 Pm, Monday, Dec. 12th.
Asked front desk clerk if any "complimentary upgrades" were available.
She said no strip/Bellagio fountain views were available but we could have an upgrade to a larger room. I guess we were upgarded to what is called a resort room.
I did give her a twenty but she upgraded me before even seeing the twenty.
I gave her the twenty to show my appreciation & with best wishes for a Merry Christmas.

in general vegas hotel are sooo much bigger and prolly have a higher no show or leave early etc turnover rate so the front desk people have more rooms to work with. not to mention those hotels have more diff grades/pricing levels whereas most other hotels only have 3-5 grades

Got back yesterday from a 4 day trip in Vegas (Tue check in - Fri check out) at The Orleans. Discretely handed the check-in girl a $20 and politely asked if an upgrade to a suite would be possible. She seemed to indicate it might be. When she checked with her manager, she said she couldn't do it for free and it would be $100 extra a night. I never asked for it to be for free, but she definitely knew what I wanted. She discretely handed me back my $20 and I gave her $5 anyway. Two things I'll point out here: I was staying off the strip on one of the darkest weeks of the year, BUT I was booked for a very cheap rate ($18/night). So YMMV, big time. I hope this doesn't discourage people from continuing to try. This has been a good thread.

I agreed, it doesn't hurt to try. It worked in Orlando for me, I was upgraded to a Suite and she refuse to accept the $20.

Turtleman said: horizon6 said: SkinnyWalletCom said: Turtleman said: plchan said: PopTart777 said: think this trick will work elsewhere as well?

yes

this doesn't 'prove' chinese are stingy. this is about not being able to bribe the hotel people. It proves no shady games but honesty! but funny though... i wonder if it's the same thing with China hotels. it would be funny because you can bribe the police but you can't bribe a hotel?

Now, Chinese who come from low means and live in USA may (obviously) show symptoms of being stingy. What can you expect?
All immigrants had their stage. Especially when you come from a land where the govt. doesn't allow you to reap rewards of ambition? where you can't own your own land/property?

Now, if you see one of these people who have a big bank acct but still live in poverty to 'save money', that's stingy.

WTPBEE said: I agreed, it doesn't hurt to try. It worked in Orlando for me, I was upgraded to a Suite and she refuse to accept the $20.

IMO, it works every where, as long as the hotel allow the front desk to accept tip. It's just like in restaurant, where you give tip to get better service (at certain restaurant, waiter can give you free dessert / bigger dishes ... too). Just adjust the ammount you tip according to the place + kind of hotel.

In the case of the taiwan hotel the other guy mension, it's probably because it is a private hotel and the owner is also the manager. Thus the owner keeps a close watch on his employees and doesn't allow such free upgrade. Most big hotel in the USA belong to big corporation, thus the desk clerks have more room to make the adjustment. In any case, being friendly will go a long way.

Ericsan13 said: GSPC said: Does it work for all part of USA? I am going to NYC next week, any clue?

Come to think of it..i do believe you can get around this by giving a Ten and 2 fives...but i can not promise that

Chinese people aren't stingy. They're just reluctant to accept bribes. And plus five star hotels in China are cheaper then the U.S. and they're always booked. On our vacation we booked two months in advance.

anybody know whether it worth try the $20 trick in San Remo ?

im trying it in reno thats for sure

also helps that im hhonors too hoepfully

TinyPrincess said: anybody know whether it worth try the $20 trick in San Remo ?
what are you expecting? a fancy presidential suite with drop down LCD tvs and three bathrooms? that place is a dive...save your money for the cheap prime rib (I always hit that place once each trip!)

spanky42 said: TinyPrincess said: anybody know whether it worth try the $20 trick in San Remo ?
what are you expecting? a fancy presidential suite with drop down LCD tvs and three bathrooms? that place is a dive...save your money for the cheap prime rib (I always hit that place once each trip!)

and the naked girl magicians

Hi Figment-
I'm heading to the Aladdin next week on the same deal. Was the upgrade worth the $20?

Superkman said: This is called the "$20 trick" (google it if you so desire).

Funny...this thread is the #11 result.

JakeTheSnake said: Ericsan13 said: Anyone try this when boarding a cruise ship?!?!

I think your rooms/cabin on cruises are arranged prior to your arrival so I don't think it would work.

Anyone try this at a Sandals resort? IIRC, you do typically show a credit card when you arrive for any expenses you bill to the room.

Ugh... you do realize you and your GF were not the 1st couple to "luv" in that tub dont you?? Its hard to clean jacuzzi pipes i would imagine. I always avoind the in room jacuzzis..

guigsy2000 said: We gave the desk clerk $20 and asked to be upgraded to a suite with a "luv tub".

Hi jfbruin,
The average room size is 450 sq. ft. which I think adequate.
The room we were upgraded to was larger probably about 550 sq ft. overall but no view.
Honestly, I would have preferred the smaller room with a view of the Bellagio fountains if one had been available.
I guess if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room & if there are more than two people in your party the larger room size would be nice.
It was only $20.00 so I guess the room was definately worth the extra $20.
Keep in mind, as I stated in my original post, I do not think the $20.00 was even necessary because it appears she was giving me the upgrade before she even saw the $20.00
Have a great time!
Figment

wc68 said: Ugh... you do realize you and your GF were not the 1st couple to "luv" in that tub dont you?? Its hard to clean jacuzzi pipes i would imagine. I always avoind the in room jacuzzis..

Run the jets and put in some dishwashing fluid, it's not that hard. This was what a home inspector suggested once.

At a hotel? I prefer to just skip the tub. Quikstep said: wc68 said: Ugh... you do realize you and your GF were not the 1st couple to "luv" in that tub dont you?? Its hard to clean jacuzzi pipes i would imagine. I always avoind the in room jacuzzis..

Run the jets and put in some dishwashing fluid, it's not that hard. This was what a home inspector suggested once.

wc68 said: Ugh... you do realize you and your GF were not the 1st couple to "luv" in that tub dont you?? Its hard to clean jacuzzi pipes i would imagine. I always avoind the in room jacuzzis..

If that worries you, you probably would never want to stay in any hotel room. Take a black light to the room to see how clean it really is.

Just got back from 3 days at the Palms. Booked two rooms for three nights, they had a special, buy Mon and Wed. night, get Tues. night free. Rooms were $59.00 per night each, so $236 plus tax. Used the $20 trick and was upgraded to a fantasy suite in the new tower, both rooms! Very nice rooms with view of strip to the NE. It was easy and we had a great time.

I tried this with a 5 at a Westin in San Antonio for just one night. I laid the five on the table and asked the guy if he had a suite available. He said yes, but at a cost of 60 a night. He then said I can upgrade you to a room on the riverwalk. I kept the five though. It was a nice room and all for a 70 dollar Priceline last minute thing...

troutmd said: I tried this with a 5 lol

wzbus said: troutmd said: I tried this with a 5 lol

you are one cheap SOB didnt even give him the 5 when he gave you a better view.

worked for me in stratosphere. i got ROYAL SUIT with spa tub...

OMG, This thread actually making me want to visit Vegas, I have the mgm on my other tab, rofl...

Rad777

yes

I guess it depends on which hotel you stay. My uncle has been upgraded to suites for free. Just be nice and ask and chat a little.

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 12 3 4561
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014