Date: August 25-27
Time: Approx 7pm
Clerk Gender: M
Clerk Age Aprox.: 25-30
Tip Amount: $20
Success?: YES
Reserved Room: Deluxe via TI website
Upgraded To: Petite Suite

Small talk about last visit to another hotel and how they were accommodating. Mention I was looking for Tower Suite. He did his magic and upgraded to petite suite instead. Not to bad.

Hotel: Harrah's
Date: 8-26-12
Time: 2pm
Airport or Hotel Check-in: Hotel
Clerk Age Aprox.:25
Tip Amount:20
Success?:N
Reserved Room:Y
Upgraded To:N/A

Got a new front desk clerk, his 3rd day in. I gave him sandwich, he handed me back to $20 confused. Oh well. (I wouldn't count this in the overall results)

By the way, the OP specifically said do not post random garbage in the threads that don't follow the format. As the person who has updated the wiki twice (out of the last 3 major updates), I would greatly appreciate it if the rest of you would follow the format.

Hotel: Cosmopolitan
Date: 8-25-12
Time: 4pm
Success?:Y
Reserved Room:Y
Upgraded To: One bedroom suite - very nice

Hotel: Planet Hollywood
Date: 8-22-12 - 8/27/12
Time: 7pm
Clerk Gender: F
Clerk Age Aprox.:35
Tip Amount:40
Reserved Room:Hollywood Hip w/ King Bed (Comp'd)
Upgraded To: Resort Vista Room

Tried to get a suite, she told me to kick rocks, said she had something better than the hollywood hip room for me though, ended up being a slightly larger room with a very nice view of the strip on the 22nd floor.

Hotel: Aria
Date: 8-30-12 (4 nights)
Time: 3pm
Clerk Age Aprox.:28
Reserved Room: Deluxe room (1 king, no view)
Upgraded To: Deluxe room city view, 2 queens, 51st floor.

sorry i didn't read the whole 60 pages of thread--can anyone tell me if this works with comp'd rooms? i typically cash in my comp offers and get a subpar room from whatever hotel is giving out the comp that trip. i'm curious if a 20 could get me a better room on top of a comp.

yes, I used it in July for a fully comped room at the paris and got a fantastic double upgrade.
It also worked at Caesars & Bellagio for me which were both partially comped rooms.
Good luck and let us know your results.

Hotel: Mandalay Bay
Date: 9-3-12 (4 nights)
Reserved Room: Standard room
Upgraded To: THEhotel @ Mandalay Bay - THEsuite 23rd floor - strip view

Presented the "sandwich" and clerk said he couldn't accept the $20 as he hadn't done anything for it and placed it back on the counter. I asked if there were any complimentary upgrades, he asked if we had stayed at MB before, which we had. Had we ever stayed at THEhotel? No we haven't to which he replied, now you will. Very nice clerk and very nice stay.

Hotel: Bill's Gambling Hall
Date: 9-9-12 (2 nights)
Time: 4pm
Clerk Age Aprox.:40
Upgraded To: Double Room Suite

Was offered an upgrade for $40 per night, I looked down at the $20 sandwich laying on the counter and said how about for $20. She said, I think we can do that. Got upgraded to a great two bedroom, two bathroom suite.

Date: 3-29-12 (3 nights)
Time: 11am
Clerk Age Aprox.:30
Upgraded To: Large Suite

My wife used this 'technique' when we visited Vegas for our first trip away from the kids since our8-year-old daughter was born =O .... Worked perfectly, clerk was very nice and moved us to a beautiful suite with a gorgeous view of the strip, large living area we never really got to use, and a huge bathroom with a ridiculous tub.

THaks for the nice info if i go there i would like to think for your suggestion's thanks for info LAS VEGAS FRONT DESK

------------------------------------------------------------
Hotel:Venetian
Date:12/9/2012 (7 nights)
Time:1930
Airport or Hotel Check-in:hotel
Clerk Gender: f
Clerk Age Aprox.: mid 20's
Tip Amount:$50
Success?:y
Reserved Room:standard king suite
Upgraded To: Venezia tower terrace suite

How It Happened: arrived at check in very small queue ushered over to priority check in. Slipped the sandwich over with $50 (thought it best as we were staying for a week) and asked about complimentary upgrades preferably a Rialto or fortuna with a view she tapped away on keyboard quick phone call to check she could free a room up for a week. She then offered us a bella terrezano suite in the private? Venezia tower. Room was larger than a standard suite but also had a private outside terrace overlooking the private tower pool. This was awesome as we could sit outside for breakfast or just to read have a drink etc and it was shaded all day. Result I'd say.

Hotel: Vdara
Date: 10/1/12 - 10/5/12 (4 nights)
Time: 5:30 PM
Clerk Age Aprox.: Early 20's
Tip Amount:$40
Success?: Yes
Reserved Room: Deluxe Suite via Orbitz
Upgraded To: Vdara Suite with Bellagio Fountain View

Arrived to the front desk line at around 5:30 PM with 2 or 3 couples ahead in the line. Gave the $40 sandwich when asked for a photo ID and the clerk knew what to do. He placed the $40 on the counter and asked if we were more into a larger room or a room with a view. I told him we'd like a larger room. He got on the phone and asked if there were any upgrades for the deluxe suite for 4 nights available. He told us that he got us the best of both options with a room one step up from the standard room and with the view of the Bellagio Fountains and part of the strip. When all was finished and we were walking away, he was even polite enough to ask if the money left on the counter was for him. He was even nice enough to call the room when we got in to see if everything was satisfactory.

I am going to stay at Bills Gambling Hall in December and hope someone here might have some advice. I am booking two rooms for 6 nights and because of the length of stay do think it might be a problem. Should I tip $50.00? I have stayed here before with success, but that was one room for 3 nights and was upgraded to two room suite. I would love that room again, but what are the chances of getting two rooms that size. What do you think??

Date: October 8, 2012
Time: 11:00pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: 30
Success?: No
Reserved Room: Basic Room
Upgraded To: N/A

How It Happened: No one was in line when we checked in. Clerk asked for credit card and ID and I had the $20 sandwiched in. Clerk knew what was going on, set $20 on the counter and I asked if any complimentary upgrades were available. He typed away and said that it was a busy week and he was sorry he had no upgrades available- may have been since I had booked for 5 nights. He went in the back to do something and I took the $20 back off the counter when he was away.

I recently went to Vegas for the first time and stayed at Caesar's. I was hesitant to do the $20 sandwich trick but it worked and we were upgraded to a sweet suite and the guy at the front desk even joked about it saying "ahhh, you want a nice room...." We were able to check in at 10am and got a very nice room for $20... If he had kept the money, no biggie, you spend that on one drink anyway...

Hotel: Ballys
Date: October 18, 2012
Time: 10:00pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: 23
Tip Amount: $40
Success?: Yes/Maybe
Reserved Room: 2x South Tower Classic 2-Queen Beds (Non-smoking)
Upgraded To: 2x South Tower Grand Suite (Non-smoking)

Our original rooms were not available... and only smoking-rooms were available. It's hard to say if we would've been upgraded anyways or if the tip helped. It seems as if others were getting the same deal.

I have done this on a couple of occassions. First time was $40 for 3 rooms (me and 2 others), and we all got upgrades to suites. Second time was a $20 tip and we got a room with an amazing view on an upper floor. Highly recommend trying it at least.

Hotel: The Cosmopolitan
Date: October 22-25, 2012
Time: noon
Clerk Age Aprox.: mid-20s
Reserved Room: City Room, 2 queens
Upgraded To: Terrace 1 br, Bellagio view

How It Happened: There were 2 people ahead of me in line. The clerk asked for ID/CC and I handed over the sandwich. He put it down and spent some time tapping away. He said, "I'm trying to get you something really nice but I don't have anything ready right now." I said I'd wait. He gave me keys and I valeted my bags. 20 minutes later, I got a phone call saying the room was ready. Keys were activated, bags sent to the room. Mega upgrade! It was a gorgeous suite a few levels above what I booked. This was my first time trying the trick and I was already paying a killer rate with Marriott's price match guarantee so I had nothing to lose.

Hotel: The Plaza Hotel
Date: November 9-12, 2012
Time: 5pm
Clerk Gender: F (manager)
Clerk Age Aprox.: young-40s
Reserved Room: Standard King Room
Upgraded To: 2 room King suite! Great view

We went out there over the weekend for my brother-in-laws wedding. We got there about 5pm and checked in. We were forced to the manager as she was the only one available. Gave her the sandwich, asked "do you have any complimentary upgrades?" She took a look, said she did and that I would be happy. We loved the room. Once we were out of line we voiced to my mother in law to ask for the upgrade. She however did not do the sandwich and she did not get the upgrade! I instantly text message the soon to be groom and told him to do the sandwich when he got there about 30 minutes later. He ended up getting a different manager than I did, gave her the sandwich and got an upgrade! The next day the brides family got in town. They had 2 rooms reserved. We told them about the sandwich and they did it with a $20. Only one of the two rooms were upgraded.

So with all of this it worked 3/3 times it was tried. I am absolutely sold it will work every time!

Hotel: Hard Rock
Date ct 19-22 2012
Time: 10pm
How it Happened: booked package from AA Vacations . Got basic room.. Slid him the sandwich and asked was their any upgrades available. He smiled, acknowledged the 20, and got upgraded to the newer tower pool view

I always get lots of comps, free suites, free meals and spa passes in Las Vegas. Sandwich tipping always works for me....

Date: November 16-18, 2012
Time: 11pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: late 20s/early 30s
Reserved Room: Deluxe Suite (only suites in Vdara and this is the lowest level)
Upgraded To: City Corner Suite

Room booked through Priceline. Slipped her the sandwich. I like to note that my friend also had a MLife Gold Card on him so I don't know how much that played into the upgrade as well. Anyhow, she searched through her computer was able to get us a City Corner Suite on the 9th floor. Definitely not the greatest view but loved the room.

Hotel: The Orleans
Date: December 3-6, 2012
Time: 4:30pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: early 20s (just a guess since I'm terrible at guessing ages)
Reserved Room: Regular "comped" room.
Upgraded To: Concierge level (21st floor)

Just the typicals story. Handed the clerk the sandwich. She looked a bit confused, then I asked about the availability if complimentary upgrades. She offered me a room on the "concierge" level (21st floor).

Hotel: Planet Hollywood hotel
Date: December 11-12, 2012
Time: 01:30am
Clerk Gender: m
Reserved Room: Hollywood Hip w/ King Bed (Comp'd)
Upgraded To: suit room .. about 500sf.. view strip

8th floor.

Hotel: Bellagio
Date: November 30-Dec 2, 2012
Time: 8:30pm
Clerk Gender: m
Clerk Age Aprox.: mid-30s
Reserved Room: non-fountain view room
Upgraded To: 26th Floor,suite fountain view right in the center of the bldg.

Hotel: The Imperial Palace
Date: December 15-16, 2012
Time: 2:30pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: Late 20s
Reserved Room: Regular room.
Upgraded To: King Suite (9th floor)

Avoided the desk clerk that looked like she was new, and waited for one who looked a little more experienced. Handed the clerk the sandwich. She put the $20 to the side, I asked if there were any complimentary upgrades to a King Suite available. She smiled a little, punched the keyboard for a minute or two and said "Would the 9th floor be ok?" (Just a note: The Imperial Palace (soon to be renamed "The Quad") is not really a nice place to stay, but when you can get a Saturday night, mid-strip room for $20, and then upgrade it to suite for another $20, then it is not too bad)

Hotel: Bally's
Date: December 16-19, 2012
Time: 4:30pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: Late 20s
Reserved Room: Regular room (South Tower).
Upgraded To: King Suite (South Tower) (7th floor)

Handed the clerk the sandwich and she put the $20 to the side, I asked if there were any complimentary upgrades to a Grand Suite available. She checked to see how long I would be staying, looked through the available rooms and found a Grand Suite on the 7th floor. (Just a note: I made my original reservation based on tips from the "Las Vegas Tips" thread and got the room fro $15 a night, so turning it into a suite is not too bad.)

Hotel: Harrah's Rincon (just north of San Diego, Ca)
Date: 12/20/12
Nights: 1
Time: 7:00 PM
Clerk Gender: Female
Clerk Age Aprox.: mid 20's maybe
Reserved Room: Free (comp) room
Upgraded To: Garden Tower

Pretty much the usual story, not sure if it would work for a non-Vegas hotel, but it did. I hope non-Vegas experiences are OK here.

Hotel: Wynn
Date: December 25-28, 2012
Time: 10:30am
Clerk Age Aprox.: Mid 20s
Tip Amount: $20, partly hidden in hand but clearly visible to clerk. Given after room check in.
Reserved Room: Standard resort deluxe (Priceline rate)
Upgraded To: Resort deluxe panoramic, floor 37

Although past members had mentioned a fairly easy upgrade if you asked, I went ahead and had the tip in hand but slightly hidden due to a manager-looking lady on the next register. Some small talk, my fiancée mentioned it was my birthday celebration (it was) and the clerk was extremely friendly and seemed to know the deal. Ended up with:

- very early check in
- upgrade to higher floor room
- clerk also mentioned there was a $100 resort credit with the room, which was never mentioned in the original booking. If he never said anything, we wouldn't have known!

After the clerk asked if there was anything else he could do, we complimented him for the exceptional service and told him the tip was for him. What a great start to our vacation.

Thanks to all for this thread, which has been super helpful. Happy holidays!

Date: DEC 18-21, 2012
Time: 10:30pm
Clerk Gender: Male
Clerk Age Aprox.: late 20s/early 30s
Success?: NO
Reserved Room: Deluxe Suite (only suites in Vdara and this is the lowest level)

Room booked through Priceline. Slipped him the sandwich and asked if there is any free upgrade, but he just told me hotel is full today and he can't make it. Return me the $20 bill.

Hotel: Las Vegas Club
Date: 12/30/12
Nights: 6*
Time: around noon
Clerk Gender: Female
Clerk Age Aprox.: 40's?
Success?: Not really
Reserved Room: Std Room (via Priceline package deal)
Upgraded To: 9th floor corner north tower

First of all, I wouldn't book here again unless it was basically free (the Plaza is a sister property and is much better and similar priced, plus I would pick "The D" (old Fitz) as it was an awesome remodel job if looking for a downtown property). With that said the room was clean and large and I was overall happy with the room and housekeeping.

I threw the $20 trick at the front desk -- figuring it was the cheapest Vegas bet I was going to do that week - even if it was at the Vegas Club. I was told by the front desk that they are limited (NYE included in trip) but after some searching she said she got a "nice" view room on the 9th floor (at that point the $20 quickly disappeared). Room turned out IMHO to be a normal view and normal room (but corner room)...

She also noted information on the Fremont Experience NYE on my account but didn't act on it. OH and I was booked through Priceline -- and was booked through Wednesday night (my 6th night).. I showed up at midnight on my last night to a closed hotel and all my stuff still in my room. I had to go to the Plaza who had to send security to let me into my room to get my belongings (the room was untouched -- no housekeeping even!) and then moved to a Junior Suite for that last night in the Plaza (it was a smaller room than I ever dreamed the word Suite would be used for --- not to mention I was only there for several hours before checking out the next morning)... Overall, did the trick work at a 2 star run down property downtown? Not really with further complications...

surfsidebeach,

When they got no class, they got no class.

Very interesting posts!

This topic is invaluable. I've been handing over a "vegetarian" sandwich all these years and then begging.

Hotel: Bellagio
Date: May 11 - May 15 2012
Time: 2:30pm
Tip Amount: $20 between card and ID
Reserved Room: standard room, spa tower
Upgraded To: (can't remember floor), west hallway, corner end unit, Resort King, newly remodeled, pool view from living area, desert/mountain view from bathroom.

Slipped her the sandwich and right away she said "Oh I see you are looking for an upgrade?" I smiled and said yes, we were looking for a fountain view. She said fountain view rooms were sold out but she could put us in the corner Resort King. Also wanted to mention this trip was booked for 4 nights with a 3 night Comp offer from MLife. So just paying for only one night, I was quite skeptical it would work. But it did and I can't wait to try it again this year!

Hotel: Planet Hollywood
Date: Jan 23-25
Time: 6 pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: 20s
Reserved Room: Hollywood Hip (standard room, non-smoking)
Upgraded To: Resort Room (Bellagio fountain view, 100 sq. ft. larger, non-smoking)

Only a couple minute wait on a Wednesday night and figured odds were good for a couple weekdays. Just went to first clerk who was open, handed over the sandwich and casually asked if there was a chance at a complimentary room upgrade - she immediately knew what was up and the cash disappeared discretely. She asked if a room with 2 queen beds would be okay, and that there would be a fountain view. The view was very nice indeed. The extra room size is mostly wasted by an oversized entry (though it would help accommodate a rollaway) and large bathroom.

Hotel: Mirage
Date: Feb. 10-13
Time: 6:15 pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: 27
Tip Amount: $0
Success?: Sort of
Reserved Room: Standard King Bed Room booked through Southwest Vacations
Upgraded To: Hospitality Suite

Only 3 people ahead of me in line, was directed to the VIP check in desk because they were available, I was with my wife and said it was our aniversary and if they had any "fun" rooms available... she offered the hospitality suite for $50/night extra... I took it, but since I paid for it, I didn't tip her at all. The room was amazing, 25th floor, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dinning table, huge bedroom, huge master bath, strip view. That room would have been over $200 a night, so I think it was still a deal. Oh, and they sent up a little box of chocalates for our "speacial day".

Date: 02/24-2013
Time: Approx 9:30pm
Clerk Age Aprox.: 21-25,26
Tip Amount: $50 but said "can't accept tips" Very nice young lady
Success?: YES-*see below
Reserved Room: Deluxe via Hotwire
Upgraded To: Eventually a Vdara suite
**Originaly "upgraded" to 51st floor w/view of the fountain.
This after she had Vdara suite she was going to give me, I think I screwed up and asked
for something high up. The next day I talked with Tiffany @ concierge
who is great to work with if you stay on show tickets and golf,ect at Vdara btw-
I got switched to the Vdara suite on the 35th with strip view.
Both rooms were great the Vdara us bigger with laundry. The Vdara
will be my destination EVERYTIME I go to Vegas. I have a niece who wants to do
the Vegas family wedding thing. I'm going to recommend Vdara for that as well.

Hotel: Excalibur
Date: Sep 20-23 2012
Clerk Age Aprox.: 30s
Success?: NOPE
Reserved Room: most basic room, only $31 per night.
Upgraded To: N/A

Did the trick just as planned. Mid day and not too long of a line. Sandwhiched the 20 between my cc and id. Asked if there were any complimentary upgrades available with a smile, she smiled back and said, "ah i see where youre going." I even added that it was my friends bday and that this was our second trip to the hotel and that we had a great time when we visted six months earlier (all of that was true except the part of really enjoying the hotel, but hey we are college kids and are on a budget). She typed away at her computer for a minute then finally said. "It looks like you booked through Expedia so i cant do anything for you, im sorry." And handed me my twenty back. Stayed in a basic room on 35th floor facing luxor/mandalay bay so she didnt get a tip, but our room coule have been much worse. Wish i could have gotten an upgraded room with strip view? But hey, sometimes it just doesnt fly.

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 1575859 60 61
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014