The Official Travel to India Post

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • 147 48 49505171
  • Page
  • Text Only
Jet launches BOM-Shanghai-SFO from May2008
Good news for those living on west coast!
Link

Jet Airways will begin Daily 777-300ER service to Shanghai and San Francisco from 05MAY08.

9W210 BOM1115 - 1945PVG2145 - 1815SFO 77W D
9W209 SFO2045 - 0130+2PVG0330+2 - 0820+2BOM 77W D

sahooa said: Hi Patel Bhai, Do we need to have a transit visa if we are travelling via london to india..Thanks AmitFollowing is link to check for London Transit Visa Requirement. Link to UK Visa Site

A question for Patel Bhai. My parents are planning to come to PHL but they also want to halt in DXB for about two months. What is the best time for such a travel? Their travel dates are quite flexible? The only thought is to avoid the cold weather from November onwards on the east coast. Any insight into how this trip can be planned out would be helpful and what time will the fares be reasonable?

These are two itineraries I have in mind

Itinerary #1
DEL - DXB (Middle to latter part of May)
DXB - NYC (Can be JFK, I would prefer EWR if possible) - Latter part of June
NYC - DXB (Middle to late November)
DXB - DEL (End of December)

Itinerary #2
DEL - NYC/PHL (Early part of August)
NYC - DXB (Middle to late November)
DXB - DEL (Middle to late January)

My preference is for #2, but if you have some other insight, I can look into that also.

I look forward to a reply from your side.

Thanks,
Samarth

Samarath,
I will suggest to go with Option no. 1 instead of 2. By looking routing, I can say that option no. 1 ticket is from Emirates Airlines, which you can get cheaper up to PHL (if u want, otherwise drive to JFK). In option 1, DEL to DXB segment can also be fulfilled by Indian Airlines or some other flight to see if price is coming lower, but as long as Emirates Airlines is responsible for your DEL to JFK ticket, it will be easy to change it. With option 2, you will have multiple airlines involved, which may make problem if something goes wrong like, Flight Schedule Change, Missing a connection, changing a travel date etc.

Anyone have any experience with the Air India nonstop flight from JFK to Delhi? We're planning to take our 3 yr old son on one of the nonstop ones to India in July/August and JFK is really convenient for us. Any comments/suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Patel Bhai, I would like to know what would best time for me to go hunting for tickets for my travel to BOM in November and return in December to get the best deal. I live in the east coast (PA) and any airport other than JFK will be a good option.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Manoj

This site is a real help to people travelling to their motherland......thanks guys and keep up the good work

manukn said: Patel Bhai, I would like to know what would best time for me to go hunting for tickets for my travel to BOM in November and return in December to get the best deal. I live in the east coast (PA) and any airport other than JFK will be a good option. Till november first 3 week, anytime before 2 months will be fine to shop around for tickets, and for travel date during and after Thanksgiving time, before 3 months. Thanks.

Patel Bhai and Experts. please please please let me know. we have been waitlisted in one leg from kuwait to jfk for our return travel from HYD in August. how does the waitlist move in this segment.
Thanks is Advance. please do comment.

Patel Bhai and other experts, please comment/Advise. We have been wailisted for one of the leg from Kuwait to JFK in our return from HYD in Kuwait airlines. we are returning in Aug. How does waitlist move in this segment, I called the airlines they were not able to tell me how long I can wait.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Murali

m2m2 said: Patel Bhai and Experts. please please please let me know. we have been waitlisted in one leg from kuwait to jfk for our return travel from HYD in August. how does the waitlist move in this segment. Thanks is Advance. please do comment. Kuwait Airlines August month return flight sold out before one month ago. In fatwallet language, it's "Big YMMV", just like BestBuy clearance deal.

JhakaasDesi said: Hi Guys,
I travelled via Kuwait Airways..my summary is avoid this airline at all costs even if the price is cheap.

The experience was bad right throughout but I will just list the worst ones:

1. For boarding the Kuwait-India flight at kuwait airport, I thought I will finish off security check and take a seat at the boarding gate. The boarding gate opens only 20min before the flight and outside there are just 10-15 seats for 200 passengers!!! I grabbed one of them while most of the passengers sat on their luggage like a banyan tree bus stop in India. After some time, one of the standing passengers asked the guy sitting next to me to share his seat since his legs were paining!!

The boarding time was 1 hour late. I think the rascals won't dare to do this for US/UK flights.

Entire Kuwait Airport sucks without enough waiting seats, lack of English instructions for connecting gates and Highly Illiterate Staff.

2. Went to use the toilet but came out immediately after I noticed co-passengers not getting any water from the wash basins. One basin worked if you patted the faucet 2-3 times in a certain position.

3. On my return flight, on Kuwait-US flight, the airhostess said "One choice for all" when it came to food and served one rubbish meal which definitely looked/tasted like meat.

4. There is no electronic check-in thru the Kuwait airline website. Also the lady asked me to check in my cabin bag too as I was carrying a laptop bag.

I missed a flight but called up Patel Bhai and he was very kind in giving the right instructions for the next flight. Thanks Patel Bhai
As your complaine was forwarded to Kuwait Airlines management on the day you posted this message, Following is response....
---------------------------------
Mr. Patel,

With reference to the passenger complaint you have forwarded to our Sales Department, may we request you to let us have the full name and travel itinerary of the passenger, enabling us to investigate the complaint in detail.

We shall be pleased to give you our response, as soon as the investigation is completed.

Thanks

XXX
Customer Svcs. Manager

Kuwait Airways
Is it not better that someone at least responded to take look in to issue? I have communicated with couple of airlines on passenger issues and I will say that, this response is far better then Air-India New York office responses.

Idhar-Udhar

KLM pilot unaware of Hyderabad new airport and flies across India: Report
In short: A KLM flight headed for Hyderabad in India's south skipped its destination and flew across India because the pilot was unaware the city had a brand-new airport, a report said Monday. The confusion occurred barely hours after the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in the Hyderabad suburb of Shamshabad became operational after midnight Saturday, with flights landing and taking off, said the Times of India. The pilot of the KLM flight, which had taken off from Amsterdam, at first headed towards Hyderabad's old airport and was told by air traffic control the facility had been shut, the report said. When directed to fly to the new airport, the unnamed pilot replied: "What's that?" and flew instead first to New Delhi, from where he took the plane to Mumbai after being declined permission to land, it said.

Pictures for Hyderabad's New Airport: Samshabad Airport
Link 1
Link 2

Yes, it's impressive and one more reason to go Swadesh

I am not sure about JFK - DEL non stop, but my friend went in JFK-BOM nonstop and he said in future, he will always take the same flight, the inflight service is mind blowing and ontime performance.

Just thought of sharing. I just finished my second round trip with Jet Airways JFK - BOM, the food is the worst, other than that the service is ok.

Patel Bhai,

I am planning to buy the tickets from my parents from Delhi - SFO on 18 Aug 2008 and return on 17 Feb 2009, Please let me know the best price.

Regards
Manish

Thanks, Phoenix Dude, so your friend was on the AI nonstop JFK-BOM, right? Anyone have any idea whether they have new planes/individual TVs etc.? Any other recommendations for the non-stop flights to DEL? TIA!

New Connections
(1) Emirates Airlines is starting new daily service from Los Angeles to Dubai, which connects to all flight from Dubai to India. More Detail

EK-216 Los Angeles 4:45P > Dubai 7:40PM Total Flying Hours: 15.55
EK-215 Dubai 8:20A > Los Angeles 1:55PM Total Flying Hours: 16.35

Wow 16 hours flying from LAX to Dubai? then which route is better to go India ? Pacific or TransAtlantic? Well, After reaching Dubai, next connection is only 3 Hours for Mumbai, 3.45 hours for Hyderabad and 4.45 hours for Culcutta.

(2) Emirates Airlines is also starting new service to Kozhikode (Calicut) for India. Mode Detail

Hello Patel Bhai,

Please help me find better options for SFO-CCU-SFO. Departure date 29th or 30th June, 2008. Return date July 17th or 18th or 19th.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Basant

Patel Bhai,

Thanks for your response. If I look at option 2 in my earlier post, but all the flight legs are on EK can you give me a price on the following itinerary? The tentative dates on travel can be as follows

DEL - PHL/EWR/JFK (via DXB, but no stopover) - August 8/9
PHL/EWR/JFK - DXB - November 21/22/23
DXB - DEL - January 31/Feb 1

Preference would be for a flight coming into PHL or EWR and on the return leg can be from EWR.

Does anyone has personal experience flying Continental or American Airlines travelling to India (DEL). Which one is better ?
Thanks for your feedback.

I travelled COntinental Airlines direct non-stop flight from Mumbai to Newark on Dec. 21st & return to Mumbai on Feb 14th.

I will not recommend Continental to anyone. I would highly recommend Jet Airways flight from Newark to Mumbai. Excellant service , food & flight.

I was travelling with an infant and service was very important to me. COntinental was a huge disappointment.

Hello Mr. Patel,

Need to go New York (Any airport including Newark) -> Nagpur & back
2 adults
Traveling on (+/- 2 days): June 21
Returning on (+/- 1 days): July 12

Give me the best options please.

Thanks. Good Day.

Hello Patel Bhai,

I am looking 2 tickets for my parents to travel from delhi to NY. The dates are flexible.
del - jfk/ewr July 2008
jfk/ewr - del Sept 2008

Please advise what will be the best deal. Also, will it better to get tickets from India or send them tickets from US?

thanks.

Has anyone here traveled with Air India on their JFK-DEL direct flight? According to Kayak, I need to catch a connection to Kolkata in 3 hours since the flight from JFK lands in Delhi. I know it is kind of a close call in AI standard, but the price and convenience of reaching home in same day is pretty compelling to me. I sit worth taking the risk or I better stay teh night in Mumbai/Del airports overnight.

PatelForIndia said:
Mr. Patel,

With reference to the passenger complaint you have forwarded to our Sales Department, may we request you to let us have the full name and travel itinerary of the passenger, enabling us to investigate the complaint in detail.

We shall be pleased to give you our response, as soon as the investigation is completed.

Thanks

XXX
Customer Svcs. Manager

Kuwait Airways
Is it not better that someone at least responded to take look in to issue? I have communicated with couple of airlines on passenger issues and I will say that, this response is far better then Air-India New York office responses.

Dear Patel Bhai,
Thanks a lot for informing the concerned authorities Anyway i dont want to choose Kuwait henceforth so let me not follow up on my complaints. Hope they will improve their service in future.

-JD

Hi Friends,
just curious to know: which website do you use for booking domestic flights for travel within the US?

I used to use Kayak.com but recently a friend pointed out that kayak's fares are not the cheapest : CheapTickets.com gave much better rates (difference of upto $60) compared to kayak.
Any feedback on kayak, Orbitz, CheapTickets etc??

-JD

JD,
I find kayak pretty good and their interface is quite good(though I agree the real criteria to use a site has to be the price )
I usually search on kayak and then go to the individual airline website and sometimes there is a slight difference in fares.

I also cross check the fares with these comprehensive search sites:

BookingBuddy.com
Sidestep.com

JhakaasDesi said: Hi Friends,
just curious to know: which website do you use for booking domestic flights for travel within the US?

I used to use Kayak.com but recently a friend pointed out that kayak's fares are not the cheapest : CheapTickets.com gave much better rates (difference of upto $60) compared to kayak.
Any feedback on kayak, Orbitz, CheapTickets etc??

-JD

I have found Expedia and Orbitz to have decent fares. Don't forget to check directly with the airline.....you might be surprised!
Whatever you do DO NOT book your tickets via Travelocity. I recently booked a ticket with them and got a confirmation etc. I happen to check my reservation status two days before flying but to my horror I was told that my my reservation did not go through They did not even bother to inform me that and only came to know when I called.
I manged to get the same booking on the airlines website at the same price.

JhakaasDesi said:
Dear Patel Bhai,
Thanks a lot for informing the concerned authorities Anyway i dont want to choose Kuwait henceforth so let me not follow up on my complaints. Hope they will improve their service in future.

-JD

The only reason I can think of for you not willing to follow up is that you never actually flew with them.

Pallu said: I travelled COntinental Airlines direct non-stop flight from Mumbai to Newark on Dec. 21st & return to Mumbai on Feb 14th.

I will not recommend Continental to anyone. I would highly recommend Jet Airways flight from Newark to Mumbai. Excellant service , food & flight.

I was travelling with an infant and service was very important to me. COntinental was a huge disappointment.

What about American Airlines?
The reason I am asking is that Continental and American Airlines are the only two offering a decent fare at this time of the year. Jet Airways is good but they are $300 to $400 costlier than these two per ticket. In fact Emirates is flying for almost the same price as Jet airways.

Hi All.

I am planning to travel to HYD from LAX in May. (for 2-3 weeks)
Please let me know if you guys know of some good deal.

and which airlines will be the best to travel.

Thanks.

As people are discussing about buying domestic ticket, my 2 cent: It does not make difference from where you buy domestic ticket for India (with agent, with online website or with airlines, in USA or in India) but, it makes difference on what is your plan for travel within India. As always said, buying domestic tickets in India (in Indian Rupees) is cheaper then buying in Dollar in USA, but it comes with string and bells. When you buy ticket domestically in India, it considers that you are a domestic passenger and so domestic luggage rules apply. If you are not carrying International luggage then it's ok. If you are carrying International luggage then, for Rupees ticket, you will be paying extra luggage charge, that will not be a case when you buy domestic ticket in dollar amount, so do the math, Is Dollar Ticket = (Rupees Ticket + (if any) luggage charge), and them make decision. People says, Indian Airlines, Jet Airways allows to carry International luggage on domestic tickets (but make sure). Jet Airways offers Youth discount on domestic travel tickets. Earlier Sahara Airlines was partner for American Airlines but now American Airlines is hanging-out with Jet Airways. Majority of time, Domestic tickets are non-refundable. When you buy domestic tickets separately, keep at least 3 hours gap. If you buy domestic tickets separately in connection to international flight, in any case if you have to change your return date or travel date, you may face trouble on changing two separate tickets. If your domestic ticket carrier is partner for International ticket carrier, then upon changing tickets, both tickets will be changed by main carrier. Recently, For USA Domestic connection, Air-India had ended contract with Delta Airlines. So, some online website shows Air-India and Delta combination itineraries but internally, its two separate tickets, so when you have to change those tickets, you come to know wonders...

Patelbhai, Any idea about the airlines that plan to start direct flights to Ahmedabad?

Hi All,
I am planning to return by airindia on May.
I have few of questions.
I guess my lagguage will slightly exceed 70lb (both).May be around 73 lb .
What will be expected from the airport crew?Will they charge extra (As I know i need to pay anyhow 25 bucks each)...Do i need to pay extraon top of that?Or they will refuse the lagguage?
Can I carry a laptop bag, apart from My handbag?Is it possible to carry that?
I know in EWR (NEWARK) if there is somebody to see you off,you can easily keep one handbag to him and only show the laptop bag while taking the boarding pass.The you can collect the handbag after checkin.Will this tric work.
Please let me know guys..I am a bit tensed.

skander said: Patelbhai, Any idea about the airlines that plan to start direct flights to Ahmedabad?Modibhai, Direct flight to Ahmedabad ? hmm... If you are asking about non-stop between USA to AMD, then I will say it's too far right now. If you are talking about flight which lands directly in Ahmedabad then currently, Singapore, Emirates and Qatar are serving for it (Kuwait stopped their service for AMD on March 26.) Air-India AI-144 from EWR routes to AMD via Mumbai. British Airways and Jet Airways has direct service between London to Ahmedabad but those flights are not offered under sale prices for USA traffic (as it's for UK traffic). You can take benefit of these two direct flight from USA, when tickets are purchased (1) under American Airlines OneWorld partner program (2) When you buy tickets with points program. (3) or when person is traveling from India to USA and you buy tickets under publish price. Recently, there are two new additions for Ahmedabad. (1) Jet Airways started new BOM to AMD service at 2:45AM so Jet Airway's Gujarati fan do not have to spend night at Mumbai Airport (2) Etihad Airlines is adding service to more Indian cities which includes Ahmedabad. I will post detail once I get timings. Praful Patel is saying Ahmadabad's new International Airport will be done in 2009 and Narendra Modi is saying Gujarat will become bussiness Hub between 2010 to 2020, but before Ahmedabad get any non-stop flight between USA to AMD, Hyderabad and other south Indian cities are on top list before Ahmedabad.

Good news for all the people living in SFO area. Emirates is starting flight from SFO-DXB starting 26 Oct 2008.

EK to SFO

Here are the flight timings-

EK 225 Dep DXB 08:45 Arr SFO 13:45

EK 226 Dep SFO 16:45 Arr DXB 1925+1

DXB-SFO flight will be 16 hours
SFO-DXB flight will be 15 hours 40 minutes

Hi PatelBhai/Others,

I am looking for a ticket from Pittsburgh to Delhi. I am flexible with the departure date and the return date

Departure - between May 14th and May 17th (inclusive)
Return - between August 19th and August 21st (inclusive)

Can you please advise as to where can i look to book the ticket. Any travel agent that you would reccomend?

PatelBhai, i am not sure, but do you provide travel services too? If yes, then can you please let me know how to get in touch with you.

thanx and regards

I know that this has been pointed out zillion times but still READ THE FIRST PAGE, BEFORE POSTING something like this. It doesn't take too long.

luminos24 said: Hi PatelBhai/Others,

I am looking for a ticket from Pittsburgh to Delhi. I am flexible with the departure date and the return date

Departure - between May 14th and May 17th (inclusive)
Return - between August 19th and August 21st (inclusive)

Can you please advise as to where can i look to book the ticket. Any travel agent that you would reccomend?

PatelBhai, i am not sure, but do you provide travel services too? If yes, then can you please let me know how to get in touch with you.

thanx and regards

Whenever it comes high peak season, we remember Sri Lankan Airlines because since long time, Sri Lankan Airlines was giving student discount $150 (just like IRS Tax Break), which was giving little relief to students who are forced to travel in high peak season. With increasing fuel surcharge, from this season, Sri Lankan Airlines has stopped Student Discount...I am sure both party will get affected by this because generally (without any special benefit) Indians do not prefer to travel in Sri Lankan Airlines due to long layover in Colombo. So Students will not travel in Sri Lankan Airlines, Sri Lankan airlines will not get enough traffic against increasing fuel cost. This will be a litmus test for their Revenue Manager in Colombo.

Hello Patelbhai

I needed a ticket from Atlanta to Bombay leaving either May 22 or 23 and returning on June 8. On the return journey, I need another one way ticket for my wife who is already in India.

Please let me know the best price that you can provide.

Thanks in advance

aj

• Archived From: ForumsTravel Discussion

• 147 48 49505171
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014