Buying Disney Ticket from Craigslist

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We are going to Disney World soon and are thinking about checking the Disney Tickets on Craigslist.
(I know it's a risk. We may buy or may not buy)

Anyone sucessfully bought discounted Disney Ticket from Craigslist?

Can you share your stories with us?

We understand that Disney started scanning the finger print (biometric filter?) to prevent people from using the ticket other than the original purchaser...

Would "UNUSED Ticket" be subject to that finger scan?

For those who bought ticket off the craigslist, how did you guys manage to go around that finger scanning process?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've used Craigslist for Disneyland tickets before, not Disney World.

With Craigslist, you're pretty much gambling. Fo... (more)

Izmeeh (Sep. 16, 2007 @ 4:53a) |

Here's what I did...

I'm looking for Disney tickets and I saw an ad on Craig's List. The guy was asking a fair price, bu... (more)

Glostar (Oct. 05, 2007 @ 12:35a) |

Is this a good price for 2 adults & 1 child WDW tickets?

ADULT 3-Day Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper« Option
SPECI... (more)

mansa (Dec. 05, 2007 @ 11:28a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I certainly would not want to stand at the gate with an invalid ticket.

I think this is too risky too. I haven't been to Disney for a few years now, but the last time I went there was no visual way to tell if a multi-day ticket had remaining unused days on it or not. The information was tracked on the magnetic strip. So the seller could tell you the ticket was good...and once you got to the gate you could be told it wasn't valid.

it's a risk but i've bought disney tickets twice from CL and they were both legit. a lot of people buy the park hopper tickets and aren't able to go for all the days so they try to recoup their money by selling them discounted. maybe you could meet the seller at the gates to verify that they're good?

DONT DO unless you are meeting at the gate (just meeting in person anywhere NOT THE SAME IN THIS CASE)

I wouldn't do it unless you happen to know the person, like it's your next door neighbor that you can beat up if it's a scam.

Perhaps something like escrow.com would be a good choice in this situation. A few years ago I bought a 7 day park hopper pass for myself and my family then sold off the remaining days on eBay. It actually worked out quite well for me as people paid quite good for the 3 remaining days plus 3 days of waterparks. I believe that disney has changed their ticket structure since then.

I bought eBay tickets like this years ago but that was before the fingerprint thing. Everything worked perfect back then but I'm hesitant to try it again with the recent changes. My family and I are going back in a couple of weeks and I toyed with the idea of trying again but I'd hate to be turned back at the gate if we were caught. I found a discount ticket service that offers a small discount off of gate rate. We're buying 7 3-day park hopper passes from them (4 adult and 3 child). We're not pre-paying for the tickets but have "reserved" them for pickup and purchase at the reduced rate. I figure the worst case is it's a scam and I just pay full price at the park. PM me if you want the info for these people. They claim they are not a timeshare.

I have the same question. I was told by a guy on craigslist that I czn pick up the tickets at the Disney tickets office with a confirmation email and photo ID and the price is much cheaper than the gate price. After I pick up my tickets, I just need to use paypal to send my payment. This sounds too good to be true. Does anybody have the same experience?

qunwu said: I have the same question. I was told by a guy on craigslist that I czn pick up the tickets at the Disney tickets office with a confirmation email and photo ID and the price is much cheaper than the gate price. After I pick up my tickets, I just need to use paypal to send my payment. This sounds too good to be true. Does anybody have the same experience?

that sounds too good to be true.

and as for the OP, you're talking about specifically buying tickets that have already been used, right? you're talking about multi-day tickets, not tickets for 1 day that have never been used.

qunwu said: I have the same question. I was told by a guy on craigslist that I czn pick up the tickets at the Disney tickets office with a confirmation email and photo ID and the price is much cheaper than the gate price. After I pick up my tickets, I just need to use paypal to send my payment. This sounds too good to be true. Does anybody have the same experience?

Hahaha I can't believe you would even consider this as anything but a scam!! I can just see you at the ticket office holding up a printed piece of paper from "Imasucker inc." demanding Disney give you tickets because you gave 'some dude' on the internet money and they sent you this 'conformation.' Disney has spent a ton of money to destroy the secondary ticket market. The only place to buy Disney tickets is from Disney. Either suck it up and buy them directly or don't go.

Would you send me the link to that post? I am very interested in negotiating with the guy. Thanks!

I bought disney tickets from Craigs list and had no issue with the ticket. I got it at a good bargain...

I have never bought tickets for Disney this way and definitely would not do it. Buying from someone you know is one thing but off of craigslist seems like too much of a chance. I would be worried that they are not legit and then you are out that much money. Disney also has a scan system with your fingerprint so that tickets can't be shared. Unless this is a one day pass or a multi-day pass that no one has ever used before then it might be ok.... but I still wouldn't risk it.

I know this is off topic, but I really need some help and figured the seasoned Disney ticket holders in this forum may be able to help out. A Florida resident told me she has season passes and she told me that the finger print scan only insures that once you get in the park, you don't pass your ticket back to have another person enter the same day. I know the season passes are non-transferable, but *theoretically* could you borrow someone's pass and use it instead of them? The lady who owns the passes told me she has done it many times and the finger print scanner doesn't keep the print in memory but rather only makes sure no one else uses the same pass the same day (which we wouldn't be doing). Now, I'm not sure about how accurate this is, but I don't want to trust her and then go to the gate and get in trouble with the Disney Police or something. Does anyone have any experience in using someone else's season pass? I appreciate the help.

kinsuns said: I know this is off topic, but I really need some help and figured the seasoned Disney ticket holders in this forum may be able to help out. A Florida resident told me she has season passes and she told me that the finger print scan only insures that once you get in the park, you don't pass your ticket back to have another person enter the same day. I know the season passes are non-transferable, but *theoretically* could you borrow someone's pass and use it instead of them? The lady who owns the passes told me she has done it many times and the finger print scanner doesn't keep the print in memory but rather only makes sure no one else uses the same pass the same day (which we wouldn't be doing). Now, I'm not sure about how accurate this is, but I don't want to trust her and then go to the gate and get in trouble with the Disney Police or something. Does anyone have any experience in using someone else's season pass? I appreciate the help.Interesting thought, but I believe that is incorrect.

AFAIK, the system does not scan your fingerprint per se.; the devices actually read and record mulitple measurement points on your hand and store that info.

We have heard stories about this being an issure for growing children as the size and shape of their hand changes and the pass not working after a while. Typically when this happens, you show some ID and they override. So it would seem that the metrics of each person are stored long term.

Maybe a Dis. employee will chime in on this.

i have done it twice...

in both cases it was employs that are selling there allotment, and they would have to enter the park with you...

but then they just walk back out... good thing was it was cheaper and they were hoppers.. in the first situation it was coupled with a fastpass.. this last time it was just hoppers.

I bought park hoppers off of eBay and had no problem. They were new, never used. Regarding the finger scan, we never pay attention who's ticket is who's day to day, just as long as we use the same ticket the same day. I don't believe the scan is tied to one person for the life of the ticket, and as a previous poster mentioned it just stops one person in a group collecting however many tickets from the group and exiting to hand out the tickets to the rest of the group. Disney already has the money for the tickets. What do they care who uses it...realizing it does say on the ticket that it is not transferable.

Craigs list would make me nervous. I've bought and sold theme park tickets on eBay though, where there is a clear rating and you can choose your seller based on that information, and feel safe doing so.

If you have some time you could do a timeshare. We took my family last spring and stayed outside the grounds in kissimmee and there were tons of different outfitters with time shares and you can get tickets to Disney or Universal real cheap if you have an hour or 2 to spare. My husband just hates when we do this but it saved us $100.

I've used Craigslist for Disneyland tickets before, not Disney World.

With Craigslist, you're pretty much gambling. Fortunately for us, we have find successes.

In March when they have that 5 days deal, I list a post to see if anyone want to share the tickets with me. Many responded. I picked two with similar schedule and needs. Bought 4 tickets for 5 days. The other two came to give me their money at my work place so they can find me if I happen to be a scammer. The only problem is if you pass your ticket to the first person, and the first person does not give the tickets to the second person, you will be in trouble. Good thing, I dealt with honest people.

My sister also bought the tickets off of Craigslist. They don't work (found out at gate). The seller gave her a refund though.

Here's what I did...

I'm looking for Disney tickets and I saw an ad on Craig's List. The guy was asking a fair price, but
the total was several hundred dollars. I emailed him and asked him to email me a picture of himself
with the tickets.

I figure, if I'm sending hundreds of dollars via Paypal, I am entitled to at least seeing that this
person has the tickets.

I emailed him and I haven't heard back. The ad is still up.

This won't completely shield you from a scam, but if it was a scam, you definitely wouldn't hear back
and get the picture--and you may avoid being ripped off.

Is this a good price for 2 adults & 1 child WDW tickets?

ADULT 3-Day Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper« Option
SPECIAL OFFER: 2 EXTRA DAYS FREE (5 - Day Ticket) $ 246.00 2 $ 492.00
CHILD 3-Day Magic Your Way Ticket with Park Hopper« Option
SPECIAL OFFER: 2 EXTRA DAYS FREE (5 - Day Ticket) $ 213.00 1 $ 213.00
Subtotal: $705.00
Taxes & Fees (Sales Tax- 6.5%): $45.83
Delivery/Shipping: $0.00
Total: $750.83

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014