REQUEST - Advice on Parking in Washington, DC

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just made my hotel reservation for Marriott Wardman Park Hotel for a weekend in April and then I notice they charge $28 per day for parking just as I was determined to swallow this outrage I realize that the hotel is right on the Metro red line and I figure maybe I can park my car elsewhere along the Metro line at a cheaper rate, but I am not sure if this is a viable option and so would like to hear your opinion on this. FYI, I probably won't be driving during my stay in DC as that'll be mostly a tour within DC and I'll rely mainly on Metro; and the car is mainly for long-distance drive into and out of DC. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You could park further out and the cost will be less obviously. I honestly don't know if you can park over night at Metro stations proper but you can park at the Maza Gallerie mall in Friendship Heights for 15.00 a night and it is right on the red line and just at the DC/Maryland line. I am sure you can do better even further out but I don't live in DC anymore (only visit Family and Friends from time to time). I would check the Metro site to see their guidance on overnight parking at stations which would probably be cheaper. Keep in mind you would probably not be able to get spots in the morning due to commuters you would be limited to finding spaces during the afternoon/evenings and weekends at the Metro stations.

You cant park overnight at metro stations. Well you could but you would get ticket which would be more than the parking cost at the proposed friendship heights lot the other poster suggested. It is extremely expensive to park a car in DC and it is gridlock on even the beltways during rush hour. Unless you absolutely need a car the entire time you are staying in DC I wouldn't rent it until the day I needed to make my long distance trip and then get rid of it as soon as possible. You are not going to do better than $15 dollars for overnight parking. Thats how much lots downtown charge for 9AM-5PM parking. Overnight parking in downtown lots are probably around $25 so your hotel isn't being all that outrageous in their price.

Perhaps you could park at Reagan National airport, it is $10 a day and linked to the metro.

Tmoney02 said: You cant park overnight at metro stations. Well you could but you would get ticket which would be more than the parking cost at the proposed friendship heights lot the other poster suggested. It is extremely expensive to park a car in DC and it is gridlock on even the beltways during rush hour. Unless you absolutely need a car the entire time you are staying in DC I wouldn't rent it until the day I needed to make my long distance trip and then get rid of it as soon as possible. You are not going to do better than $15 dollars for overnight parking. Thats how much lots downtown charge for 9AM-5PM parking. Overnight parking in downtown lots are probably around $25 so your hotel isn't being all that outrageous in their price. it's interesting the Metro website parking section does not mention overnight parking at all, even the fact that they don't offer overnight parking - That parking info page only says about daily parking and metered spaces, and I almost believed that "daily parking" includes "overnight" until I read your post. what a save!

Parking is free in washington, dc on the weekends (unless meters say otherwise). The Marriot Wardman Park is in a residential area. Drop off your stuff at the hotel...head up (northwest) Conn. Ave and turn left down any of the side streets and park in any of the areas between the signs (they will not have meters). Permit parking is only Mon-Friday - goodluck!

That's interesting because I've parked at metro stations for a few nights (when I go to the National airport) and have never gotten a ticket.

But some of the side streets do offer metered and free parking. Just need to read the signs carefully. Good luck!

need to do a google search:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/EnvironmentalServices/dot/traffic/parking/EnvironmentalServicesBallston.aspx

$8/day on the subway, $1 for weekends.

I'd be checking with the hotel to see if the parking fee applies to guests. Probably does, but some hotels don't charge patron for parking vs non patrons.

holy @#%&, the hotel just raised their daily parking fee to $31.36. wow...

timdevil said: Parking is free in washington, dc on the weekends (unless meters say otherwise). The Marriot Wardman Park is in a residential area. Drop off your stuff at the hotel...head up (northwest) Conn. Ave and turn left down any of the side streets and park in any of the areas between the signs (they will not have meters). Permit parking is only Mon-Friday - goodluck!

I'm a local & this is completely correct. There's no reason to pay for parking in DC hotels on the weekend - street parking is usually not that hard to find.

Certain metro stations have the Flex car service. Maybe Flex car would be a better alternative because you just go to the station drive the car and then return it...no parking lot worries, etc. If you go to wmata.com and pull up the station map, there should be a description of each station service. Look under car sharing services. The Woodley Park Metro station near your hotel has flexcar/zipcar service.

I'll be in DC for one day (end of May).

I'm visiting the Bureau of Engraving and then the National Zoo (on the same day) with two 9-year olds, two senior citizens and the Ms.

Any suggestions on where to park? I know driving is not the best solution, but with the makeup of the group plus the fact that we are going to multiple locations before heading back to NJ doesn't make taking the Metro a strong viable option.

Is there a parking locator (there is one for NYC)? Nevermind - found it in another FW Travel thread DC Parking Locator

TIA

timdevil said: Parking is free in washington, dc on the weekends (unless meters say otherwise). The Marriot Wardman Park is in a residential area. Drop off your stuff at the hotel...head up (northwest) Conn. Ave and turn left down any of the side streets and park in any of the areas between the signs (they will not have meters). Permit parking is only Mon-Friday - goodluck! I must say that this is the best info. I followed your advice just as you described and eventually I paid absolutely nothing for parking during my entire stay in D.C. Thank you so so much!!

Reviving this thread as I have a question that matches the title exactly; however I am going to DC on July 4th weekend.

What can you DC folks / regulars recommend, as far as parking in DC over the July 4th weekend?

I booked my hotel at the new Reston Westin and will probably drive into DC as Metro does not go that far out. Any advice?

Alternatively, I can change my hotel to somewhere in Washington DC, pay like $50 more per night for hotel... plus costs for parking.

Thanks in advance.

Tyson's Corner Marriott has free parking. Their rates are good, too. (Weekends less than $100.) You can park in the nearest Metro lot for $4.75/day. Or leave your car at the hotel and take the bus for 3 miles (bus = $1.35 each way).

Would anyone know where to park for free this Sunday if I stay in Rhode Island Ave. (Doubletree DC)? (I stay just for one night, and I don't want to pay their $28 parking fee). Any advice is appreciated..

We were in DC earlier this yr and parked in street parking. Its free over the weekend.

cheaperisbetter said: Would anyone know where to park for free this Sunday if I stay in Rhode Island Ave. (Doubletree DC)? (I stay just for one night, and I don't want to pay their $28 parking fee). Any advice is appreciated..

I am staying in the double tree in rhode island ave from today(28th aug) to (1st Sep). Can anyone let me know where I can park?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014