How to cancel PRICELINE hotel?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi All,

We have a reservation for 5 nights in Sydney for about $900 in July

My husband and I just found out that we can no longer go on our trip to Australia in July. We have an unusual circumstance with the US Immigration office. My husband can not leave the country while they are processing him for US Citizenship. If we leave for this trip, he will not be able to enter back into the US.

I understand that this scenario does not qualify for refund with Priceline. Before I call Priceline to try to persuade a refund, I would like to get some advice from some of you. I figure there are 2 ways I can go about this.

1) Ask for a full refund by explaining our situation and provide them with a letter from our lawyer and receipt from his application for US citizenship. If they won't budge, than offer them to give us refund if we book another hotel through them on a different date for a different city.

2) Some people have said that Priceline would be willing give a refund if you made mistake on zone or date. But, this requires you to do ONE rebid at the same price. This method will only work if when you do a rebid, you don't win. In this case, than Priceline would give you refund and charge small penalty. But, the risk with rebid is that if we win, we will still be forefeiting $900 because we will not be going to Australia any time soon anymore.

What do you think? Which excuse should we use? Or is there a better one that we didn't think about?

-Melody

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

WiiPlayer said: Hi All,

My husband and I just found out that we can no longer go on our trip to Australia in July. We have an unusual circumstance with the US Immigration office. My husband can not leave the country while they are processing him for US Citizenship. If we leave for this trip, he will not be able to enter back into the US.

I understand that this scenario does not qualify for refund with Priceline. Before I call Priceline to try to persuade a refund, I would like to get some advice from some of you. I figure there are 2 ways I can go about this.

1) Ask for a full refund by explaining our situation and provide them with a letter from our lawyer and receipt from his application for US citizenship. If they won't budge, than offer them to give us refund if we book another hotel through them on a different date for a different city.

2) Some people have said that Priceline would be willing give a refund if you made mistake on zone or date. But, this requires you to do ONE rebid at the same price. This method will only work if when you do a rebid, you don't win. In this case, than Priceline would give you refund and charge small penalty. But, the risk with rebid is that if we win, we will still be forefeiting $900 because we will not be going to Australia any time soon anymore.

What do you think? Which excuse should we use? Or is there a better one that we didn't think about?

-Melody

Priceline didn't do anything to you. You read the rules before you bid so you might be out of luck. You didn't check what needed to be done before you planned an overseas trip? It takes 3 months to correct the issue? Refunds with Priceline have been discussed before...search the topic and you might find some helpful info (not the same situation but info on how people got refunds and if they were successful or not).

WiiPlayer said: Hi All,

-Melody

Why on earth did you buy tickets for outside the country, then? Especially via a non-refundable service. Your best bet is to call Priceline and beg, sorry.

I agree...hopefully they will issue a refund considering your circumstance. I am curious to know if they will make this exception.

At the time that we booked the hotel, we were not aware that we could not leave the country. I understand that it is not Priceline's fault. But, we would like to limit our losses, but at the same time do what is agreeable to Priceline.

Unfortunately, as some have already posted, you may be out of luck as Priceline has every right to keep your money. However, there are still understanding people at Priceline and they will make exceptions (death in family, medical emergency, natural disasters, etc.). Your best bet (in my opinion) is to get on the phone with them and plead your case (if the initial representative doesn't budge, ask for their supervisor as they may have more power to assist you). Don't bother trying to make up excuses as it'll most likely leave you in a bigger hole.

Good luck!

i was able to cancel due to medical...find a friendly doctor...they told me it was a one time thing!!

gl

WiiPlayer said: We made a Priceline booking knowing they do not give refunds. After we made the booking, we realized that we cannot actually use that booking because we did not really plan this properly. Is there any way to convince Priceline to give us our money back?

Do you plan on going on your trip after the issues with your husband are resolved? You could call the hotel and ask to switch the dates of the reservation.

Are you planning on calling and explaining the situation (truthfully)? The simple fact is that the booking is not refundable. But your circumstances, as reported here, are quite unique and maybe will be interpretted as being outside of your control such that PL might be willing to make a concession in the form of a partial refund. If not, your only option (outside of some sort of travel insurance that you purchased or available from the CC you used to book the room) is to contact the hotel and see if they are willing to give you some sort of an internal credit for use at a later date.

WiiPlayer said: At the time that we booked the hotel, we were not aware that we could not leave the country. I understand that it is not Priceline's fault. But, we would like to limit our losses, but at the same time do what is agreeable to Priceline.

I was just curious - considering how many years you have been waiting for his citizenship - why you didn't check the laws first. Please let us know how it goes with Priceline. Keep begging. Maybe they can give you a credit.

Never mind,just plan ignorance on OP's part.Enough said.

You rolled the Priceline Roulette wheel and lost. You will be out of the money, just as you agreed when you booked the stay.

OP any updates to give on which story you decided to use and what the outcome was?

If you use a medical excuse you will definitely need a note from a doctor stating you are unable to fly. I would tell them the truth and see what happens. If they deny you, you can take me along. I've always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef.

NJDevilsfan said: If you use a medical excuse you will definitely need a note from a doctor stating you are unable to fly. I would tell them the truth and see what happens. If they deny you, you can take me along. I've always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef.

Hopefully no doctor will lie for OP and write a note. Years ago I asked a friend who is a doctor to do this and he refused since he said airlines do check into this and at that time were checking things like this. OP should be truthful and should have checked things out before bidding on Priceline. OP read the terms and if she had any questions about husbands status should NOT have bid. OP still hasn't updated or responded to why it will take over 3 months to correct the issue.

Another case of an OP going AWOL!

I wasn't suggesting that she try to get a note, actually telling her that she shouldn't go that route because they will ask for a note that she will not be able to produce. Better off telling the truth and taking her chances.

apply for an advance parole travel document with the USCIS. google around!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b11747a55773d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

If the husband is applying for CITIZENSHIP, that means he is a permanent resident. Permanent residents can go in and out just as they like. The only problem is if they call you for your appointment and you no-show as a result of being out of the country, that is a big pain and it takes a long time to reschedule the interview. But you still don't lose your status as a PR, although it could conceivably mess up the application for citizenship.

I randomly cruised around looking for information and found some discussion. Check this out, for example:

Old thread on British Expats forum

The only problems arise from really extended trips or too many extended trips, that can mess up continuity of residence for citizenship purposes or show a lack of intention to remain a permanent resident. Trips like 6 months at at time, 1 year at a time, more than 2 years, you should look into the rules and follow them carefully.

And kitchung provides useful advice, if the OP misspoke and it is the permanent residency that is pending, the husband can apply for advance parole. It takes a while, though. And the fees for everything really got jacked up in January.

Oh, a good forum for all family immigration related issues is Visajourney

I was able to cancel a Priceline "name your price" but then I canceled within the hour. There are exceptions to every rule. By the way. Why is everyone being such a jerk to the OP? Something unforeseen came up and everyone is pouncing on her like your life is so perfect nothing unexpected every comes up......I guess you guys can cast the first stone?

"since he said airlines do check into this and at that time were checking things like this."

yeah .... HIPPA be damned ... i am Priceline .... hear me roar ......

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014