REQUEST: Best EZ-Pass deal?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Question: if you are getting an EZ-Pass, what is best source in terms of saving money. From a quick read of the wikipedia entry for EZ-Pass, it looks as if MD, DE Memorial Bridge, and Peace Bridge are the best deals. Anybody know otherwise, eg plans from any of those to impose a monthly fee? Thanks.

Background/personal history:
We had EZ-Pass starting around 1999 or 2000 when we drove a lot from DC to NY, got the EZ-Pass from NY State (or Port Authority?). We didn't realize there was any difference between plans but that one was then a good deal, and it saved us lots of time and money. Then we had kids, stopped making the drive very much. Then NY State imposed a $1 monthly fee on EZ-Pass holders. I hated the idea of paying $12 per year for something I used less than once a year. Then a relative borrowed and lost our EZ-Pass, so we canceled it and stopped paying the fees. Now we may be driving to New York more, want to get a new EZ-Pass but not pay unnecessary fees.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Virginia's Smart-Tag was recently integrated into the EZ-Pass system. They charge a $35 Deposit (from which your tolls ... (more)

klrsmith (Jul. 04, 2008 @ 10:21a) |

I believe EZ Pass discounts at various facilities are the same regardless of which authority you sign up with. The only... (more)

themicah (Jul. 15, 2008 @ 6:16p) |

question: if i get an ezpass tag and it's registered to one of my cars - am i able to use the pass in a rental car if v... (more)

chadp123 (Sep. 02, 2008 @ 3:19p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

DRJBTC is what I use, no fees, no deposit when signing up with a credit card.

wiredspider said: DRJBTC is what I use, no fees, no deposit when signing up with a credit card.

Me too, no complaints here

OK thanks. That's what I meant when I said DE Memorial Bridge. Sounds like EZ-Pass users can save a few bucks by switching from other providers to it, MD, or Peace Bridge, all of which seem to have the same no-deposit, no-fees deal.

Also: do some toll sites still charge less for EZ-Pass rather than cash? Several tolls, including I think the tunnels into NYC, used to work that way, though I figured it was a sign-up incentive that would not last.

Some might offer a small discount, ie .80 instead of a $1. In NY, that V something Narrows bridge is like $1 cheaper with EZ Pass than cash (but that bridge is like 9 bucks, maybe even $10 now)

Do you have to live in the state where you buy the pass??
Most states charge 10 bucks for the EZ Pass....MA charges 25.95. I live in Boston but would rather
get it by mail from another state. Is this legal?

You don't have to live in the state selling it, so you save money by buying from one of these 3 no-deposit no fee sources, instead of say MA or the Port Authority.

I've had a NY EZPass for maybe 10 years and never paid a monthly fee. Have I been grandfathered in? P.S. NY has never been my residence.

Re-check your statement. There is not one NY State EZ-Pass. Looks like the Port Authority and NY Thruway EZ-Pass hit you for $1 per month (but you only pay when your balance drops below the certain level and they top you off with another $25 charge). Sounds like the Peace Bridge and Triborough Bridge EZ-Pass have no monthly charge. See the Wikipedia list.

All NY/NJ crossings are $2 when you have 3 or more people in the car with ez-pass.

You have to sign up for this over the phone, and use a manned tollbooth.

So if I signed up for two tags at DRJTBC (under one account) they still debit my credit card for $25, but that all goes directly to tolls, right? No other recurring fees?

Thanks for confirming. I use a local EZPass here in PA a lot but I didnt want to signup and pay the annual fee that PA charges. But if I can avoid that with getting one from DRJTBC then I will save myself a minute or two with EZPass.

I use Illinois IPass and it works wherever EZPass works and the most important, IPass does not have monthly fee.

Does NY EZPass work in IL?

aacharya said: All NY/NJ crossings are $2 when you have 3 or more people in the car with ez-pass.

Thanks for reminding us on this one, is there a specific number to call? I recall an aunt telling me about this, had to go to a people booth and tell them carpool? Not sure...

Does NY EZPass work in IL?

Yes.

sullidav said: Re-check your statement. There is not one NY State EZ-Pass. Looks like the Port Authority and NY Thruway EZ-Pass hit you for $1 per month (but you only pay when your balance drops below the certain level and they top you off with another $25 charge). Sounds like the Peace Bridge and Triborough Bridge EZ-Pass have no monthly charge. See the Wikipedia list.

My says "New York State Thruway Authority." I checked my statement and have not been billed a $1 monthly fee. My last charge was for some tolls in September. (I use this about 4-5 times per year for convenience.)

I had that monthly 1$ fee deducted in the past on my EZ pass statement but recently it stopped... maybe customers complained?

EDIT: NY EZ pass to answer the question just below

where was your EZ-Pass issued from?

We got our EZ passes through NH. I do not get charged any monthly fee. The site says if you want printed statements there is a $1 a month fee. I also get a discount when I go through some tolls (ie., $2.50 through the Tobin Bridge in Boston as opposed to $3.00 if I paid cash). I can't remember what, if anything, I paid for the transponder initially because I got it when NH first started the program. Now it costs $20.95 to purchase an interior transponder through the NH EZpass site.

I got two transponders from Delaware a few days after I applied -- no charge except the $25 deposit which will be used for actual tolls. The paperwork I saw also mentioned they start charging a paper statement fee after six months, but I signed up for email anyway so not worried. Passed the word to some other folks, but hope the 'loophole' that you can apply for Ez-Pass from a completely different area doesn't go away.

which number can i call to setup carpool plan? I have Delaware ezpass.

aacharya said: All NY/NJ crossings are $2 when you have 3 or more people in the car with ez-pass.

Virginia's Smart-Tag was recently integrated into the EZ-Pass system. They charge a $35 Deposit (from which your tolls are deducted, once you hit a "low balance", you'll be charged again).

I believe there is also a $25 fully refundable security deposit on the transponders.

EZ-Pass Virginia

Regards,

Kevin

I believe EZ Pass discounts at various facilities are the same regardless of which authority you sign up with. The only differences are the monthly fees, deposit requirements, etc. (which are listed on the Wikipedia page). The one exception is that the Illinois I-Pass cannot be used at EZPass Plus facilities like airport parking garages and some McDonalds restaurants.

I signed up for my EZ Pass through the NYC MTA (aka Triborough) Bridge and Tunnel Authority.

There's no up-front fee, no periodic fee and no deposit as long as you link a credit card to the account. And you only need to put $25 on it to open an account and can get multiple tags on that one account. The Delaware Bridge, MD Turnpike and Peace Bridge agencies offer the same deal.

Make sure you sign up through the above link, however. If you sign up through a link provided by one of the other NY/NJ EZPass authorities (the Port Authority, the NYS Thruway, etc.) you'll get nailed with the $1/mo fee.

Compare the schedule of fees at the bottom of the T&Cs you get if you go through the MTA link and the T&Cs you get if you go directly through ezpassny.com. Same website, different T&Cs (the latter include the $1/mo fee--the former make no mention of it).

I ordered my EZ Pass through the MTA and can confirm there is no $1/mo fee.

question: if i get an ezpass tag and it's registered to one of my cars - am i able to use the pass in a rental car if vacationing? or, is it illegal to use a tag that's registered to one car in unregistered car?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014