New Travel FAQ

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Welcome travelers to the FW Travel Deals FAQ’s!

Before we proceed, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their full upright position.

What is the purpose of the Travel Deals forum?

We assist people just like you and each other because we want to share our knowledge for the good of the community. We are not travel agents, however, nor do we get compensated for assisting others.
Travel Deals -- great prices on any type of travel or travel packages.
Travel Deal Requests -- assistance with getting a good price or planning a trip
Travel Questions/Discussions -- Recommendations or reviews from our jet setters.

All of the above categories can be easily searched by using our filters. For more information about category filters, click here.

How do I find a travel deal?

SEARCH is your best option. There are several popular destinations which have extensive coverage (list popular destinations thread) and these discussions are filled with valuable information. There is also an excellent set of instructions prepared by our members for finding the deals all on your own, no waiting!

Airfare Deal Finding
Hotel Deal Finding (primary, new, updated) Old Thread Here
Hotel Reviews Tripadvisor
Car Rental Discount Codes (SEARCH) or rentalcodes.com
or the Car Rental FAQ

How do I post here?

If you don't see something listed related to your particular request, then you're more than welcome to post a request for help in our forums. To get the most out of your request, you'll want to follow the guidelines for posting requests. Requests with incomplete information may receive some answers, but don't be offended if you receive a message from one of our moderators asking you for more detailed information about your trip.

I WANT TO REQUEST A DEAL

Be sure to have SEARCHED first. Your question may have already been answered!
Search our Travel Deals forum Here
Search via Google, Ask.com,Yahoo.com

Share if you find what you're looking for and it wasn't here! Karma, all things, circular.

Requests need to include the following in order to receive a useful reply: 1) Title should start with the word "REQUEST" (e.g. "REQUEST - Cheap air/hotel package to Vegas from LAX")
2) Dates you plan to travel. Estimates are fine, just give a range of dates if you're flexible.
3) Departure and Destination (and airports if you're flying)
4) Number of Travelers (listed as # of adults/# of children, ages may be helpful too)
5) Number of Nights you're staying
6) Your budget (This is critical! It can change everything about your trip)
7) Activities of Interest at your destination
8) What you have found so far in your own research?--This is the most important information we need to help! (Include prices, including taxes and fees and where you found the deal. Nobody wants to duplicate your research, after all!)

GOLDEN RULE: Once you've received the free advice from the other unpaid members of our community, share with us what you've decided to go with and give back. Then go enjoy your trip.

Why do we need to know so much information?

So the travel community can quickly find and give you the best travel advise. Most importantly, we don't want to waste time looking at sites you have already searched.

Please go Here to learn what the moderation procedure is for unsuccessful REQUEST threads.

Great sample REQUEST threads:
Car Rental Request
Hotel Request

OTHER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Do I need a visa or passport to go to ?
Where's a good place to eat at ?
Where's a coupon code I can use for in Las Vegas?
How can I make use of timeshare presentation discounts and offers?
Where can I find deals on trips to Asia?
Where can I get internet access at ?
How can I best plan a trip to Europe?

How do Categories in Travel work?

If you are using Modern View, on the left of your Travel Forum you should now see a list of categories. (If you are in Classic View, all
of our categories automatically appear as tags under the OP.) Categories help you filter. There are two types, and they work a bit
differently.

If you click a “Category” (the top set), then only the one clicked will appear. (So, if I click “Air Travel” I will only see things
that relate to air travel.) You only get to click one of these. You can choose not to click a category as well, thus seeing them all.

The second set allows for multiple choices. Check the box for all that you want to see, then hit “Apply Filter.” (Continuing with our
example from above, if I choose “Deals” and “Discussion,” then I will only see deals and discussions relating to air travel.)
If you don’t want to see something, then check everything but that item.

Note that you can save views (filters) and even subscribe to them so you know when something new appears.

Now, for a brief description of what we have.

Categories (the top set)
Air Travel: All things related to flying.
Car Rental: All things related to renting cars.
Cruises: All things related to sailing.
Hotel: All things related to lodging.
Popular Destinations: All things related to places.
Travel Packages: All things that come together in big ol’ bundle.

Deal Types (the bottom set)
Deals: A deal that is being shared with the community.
Discussion: Talking about a travel issue or potential deal.
Question: Questions related to traveling. Looking for personal experience, ideas, and/or feedback (no community research expected).
Requests: Looking for a better travel deal (after researching). "Request" will also appear in title.

If you have suggestions for expanding our categorization system, we would love to hear them. Just drop us a note and we'll take your ideas into
consideration. :)

How did we put all this together?

Special thanks to wiseguy1100 for starting the original travel FAQ thread and for assisting us with the new one.

Expectations of Forum Tone & Behavior

Be nice.

You want more? Okay, I'll explain.

Be nice because it promotes better discussion. When people feel attacked they get defensive. The topic gets derailed onto personal issues, and productive discussion ends. Nobody wins here.

If you were sending a friend or family member to the forums, how would you want them to be treated?

Stick to the topic. Criticize the argument but not the individual. If you have a strong case, there's no need to attack the other person's character to make your point.*

And let me be clear, personal attacks aren't just direct namecalling. These are all attacks to the intelligence and character of the poster and not acceptable:
- "Even you can understand this."
- "Let me put this in simple terms you can understand."
- "Only an idiot would think that."
- "I think I lost IQ points just reading that."
- "I will not dignify that nonsense with a response."

Be respectful and bring value to the conversation. Explain your criticism. Differences of opinion are great! ...if both sides take the time to explain themselves. Don't just have a duck season/rabbit season argument.

Good examples:
- "I hate to burst your bubble, but that hard drive has gotten some pretty terrible reviews: Link"
- "Good price, but mine broke after a week"
- "Found it cheaper here: Link"
- "Rebate kills this deal. Company XYZ is notorious for not honoring their rebates."
- "I'll have to disagree. In my experience..."
- "Really? I was just reading this article that says the exact opposite..."

Want to avoid the drama and running afoul the moderation team? I'll let you in on this simple, time-tested strategy:

Be more polite than you think is necessary.

*Excellent video discussing "What You Said vs. Who You Are". Hint: You want to be having the first conversation. It has examples specific to discussing race, but the basic principle applies to any conversation.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014