• filter:
  • 1 234577
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
As the fellow FW travelers noticed, the original travel to India thread reached an enormous length since I started the thread in 2006. the thread would have never reached this much popularity without the gracious help from "PatelforIndia". Now it is time to make a cleaner and leaner thread, so that most people will find it easy to gather information. I hope posters would maintain the sanity of this thread by refraining from asking "price quotes", as no one can possibly give you a travel quote in an open form, due the unpredictable nature of airline pricing. So PLEASE DO NOT ASK PRICE QUOTES for your trip, if you need help with that, send email to a travel agent or simply call. Remember, our motto is to have a thread which will provide useful information on travel deals to India.
PatelforIndia wrote a very helpful post here which I wish everyone should read.
I have borrowed much of the OP from the original post; below is a list of travel agents who were quoted by several fellow members as decent set of travel agents who are specialized in our subcontinental destinations. A hefty list of agents/phone numbers are listed in the previous thread, so kindly check back the first post of the old thread as well- but be warned that some of those numbers and email IDs may no longer work.

-------------------------------------------
Mudra Travels
2994 AUTUMN APPLAUSE DR
COLUMBUS, OH 43035
Email: MudraTravels@yahoo.com
FatWallet PM: PatelFromIndia
Phone 614-818-2783

(excellent service, and CHEAP. In most cases payment can be made by credit card)

Mitra Travels
12375 Bissonnet St # 41, Houston, TX
(281) 530-3000
(excellent fare but service is very scary. You have to cross your finger for a long time after paying for tickets, send my paper ticket by regular firstclass mail; ticket fare can be paid by credit card without any additional fees in most cases)

Trade Wings Travel
2611 S 90th St, Omaha, NE
(402) 399-2004
(Usually gives very good rates from midwest, thru Northwest/KLM)

Vati Travels Website
206 W College, STE #4,
Carbondale, IL 62901
vatitvl@frontier.com
Telephone: 618-549-9214
fax: 618-549-9215

Stanmore Travels
11616 Queen Nicole Terr,
Germantown, MD 20876
Phone: 240-422-2353
http://www.stanmoretravels.com
EmailcWorldTravel@gmail.com
FatwalletID : ramkyk

Shalom Travel and Tours Inc.
info@shalomtrip.com
714-484-TRIP

-----------------------------------------
List of agents I have not dealt with:-

Relaxtrip Travel
website
46708 Flicker Ter
Sterling, VA – 20164
Ph:703 444 2526
Contact person: Manju

Easy Travel Inc.
7191 Camelot Drive
Canton, MI 48187
Toll Free:1866-51-INDIA
Fax: 1866-908-6663
punjabi2002@msn.com
(FW username garysingh)

Alanita Travels Website
87 Common Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Tel: 617.254.8045
Fax: 617.923.4821

One of the highly recommended agents. You can contact them by email but a quick phone call is the best way to communicate.

Highfly travels Website
1897 Woodbridge Ave., Suite 10
Edison, NJ 08817
Tel: 732 985 5855

A-ONE TOURS & TRAVELS (unprofessional, at least in my experience)
2341 W. Devon Ave,
Chicago, IL 60659
Ph 773-274-6969
Fax 773-274-2898

http://skymastertravels.com
One Irving Plaza
415 E Airport Freeway
Suite# 380, Irving TX 75062
(972) 256-2200
(972) 252-4454

Another big travel agency specialized in India/Pakistan tours. According to many posters here, they are as good as Alanita, but once again I don't have personal experience.

Fly4less Website
Globetravels Website
Makemytrip Website
Kayak.Com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black listed agents
1. Azure Travel Bureau Inc., contact name, Mr. Ravi Kohli .
47 West, 34th. Street, Suite # 409,
New York, NY 10001 Ph : (212) 239 1999
Number of complaint#1 from user dluxarun

EZ world Travel as reported by user sasa12
Schaumburg
IL-60173

Alanita Travels,
as reported by dixitsantosh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best time to travel
Here is what I found from Alanita's website about seasonal fares:-

Jan 17 2005 to May 08 2006 (Low Fare)| May 09 2006 to May 31 2006 (Medium Fare)|
Jun 1 2006 to Jul 12 2006(High Fare) | Jul 13 2006 to Dec 10 2006 (Medium Fare) |
Dec 11 2006 to Dec 27 2006 (High Fare) | Dec 28 2006 to May 08 2007(Low Fare)
The fare database above is approximately followed by other airlines too.

Another detailed pricing trend from fly4less:-

USA to India Travel pattern What's happening Suggest booking
------------ -------------- ---------------- ---------------
01Jan - 15Jan =========== Overspill from winter holidays by mid Nov
16Jan - 31Jan ======== Slowing down by mid Dec
01Feb - 15Apr ====== Slow Jan onwards
16Apr - 10May ========= Pre summer travel picks up Feb onwards
11May - 31May ========== Start of Summer Holiday rush Feb onwards
01Jun - 10Jun ============ Summer rush picks up before Mar end
11Jun - 15Jul ============ Peak summer travel before Mar end
16Jul - 31Jul ========== Continuing Apr onwards
01Aug - 15Aug ======= Slowing down May onwards
16Aug - 31Aug ===== Slow Jun onwards
01Sep - 15Sep === Low fare rush May onwards
16Sep - 10Oct ===== Slow Jun onwards
11Oct - 15Nov ========== Diwali travel Jul onwards
16Nov - 30Nov ============ Thanksgiving Holidays travel Jul onwards
01Dec - 10Dec ============== Low fare rush before mid Jun
11Dec - 15Dec ============== Winter Holidays rush begins before mid Jun
16Dec - 24Dec ========= Peak winter travel before mid Jun
25Dec - 31Dec ===== Low fare rush before Jun end

India to USA Travel pattern What's happening Suggest booking
------------ -------------- ---------------- ---------------
20Aug - 08Sep ============= Peak summer return travel by mid Mar
20Dec - 10Jan ============= Peak winter return travel before mid Jun

Also, please post your itinerary and paid $$$$ for the plane fare so we can have a good idea of the current fares/promotions. Also, as we reorganize/rewrite this thread, please send me your input to make it a better thread. More changes will come soon once I am off my vacation.

Moderator Comment: This thread is under moderation to help keep it on topic.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the original thread here — Jul. 20, 2009 @ 2:52pm
Ads by Google
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hi Patelji,My parents are planning to travel from delhi to Chicago via Airindia between 2 Nov to 17 December. They are g... (more)

janu15 (Sep. 16, 2014 @ 5:40a) |

I did checked and 78000 Rs price was there from 03 Sept to 10 Sept.  and then it went 91000 Rs and then 94000 Rs.current... (more)

PatelForIndia (Sep. 16, 2014 @ 6:02a) |

Thanks for quick reply Patelji,
       Your answer made me a great guideline but can you please clear it more. while comi... (more)

janu15 (Sep. 16, 2014 @ 11:51a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

rated:
The calendar is a great idea!

I didn't realize PatelFromIndia was in Columbus - I will have to give him a visit!

rated:
Thanks, I am a big fan of PatelFromIndia since 2006. I have purchased tickets from him three times since that time.

rated:
I concur, the service of Patelfromindia is great !!

Keep it up Patel bai!!

rated:
Id like to add that nowadays the actual airline websites are also quoting good fare deals. For eg: I recently booked on the singapore airline deal of $875 to BOM (before NOV). Cathay is also quoting $1026 for approx same date/times. No issues/all electronic tickets!. So before you start calling agents, go to the airline websites for a "thumbrule" rate. You may even end up buying the tix online. Check also other websites like CheapTickets.com/CheapOair/yatra.

rated:
patel bhai, I see a average rate of $1210 for 2 kids and 2 adults from TPA to BLR flying out on the 25th Dec and returning Jan 17/18. Is this a good price or should I wait till september as per your suggestions in the older posts.

Thank you

rated:
I am getting $950 incl taxes & $750 for kids in CP from sfo to maa for oct travel. Good deal and you get asia miles too worth of $225 of Amazon GC.

rated:
Patel bhai is $919 - AIR INDIA - HYD to EWR a good price for dates of OCT 21st 2009 to APR 14 2010?
Can I book now or should I wait for a lower price?
Also will it be cheaper to book from INDIA agents?

rated:
Check Kayak before calling all the agents. Kayak will check most of the airline's website for you, once you get he lowest rate from kayak, you can start calling all the agents to see if they can beat the prices.

rated:
Interesting thread.
so, we're looking for two tix and one infant tix from roc to bom for nov 26 travel returning jan 26
what should be a good price?
continental.com shows a price of $1235

will travel agents be able to beat this price and if yes, usually by how much?
if it's just $50 or so, not sure if I want to spend the hours to get the travel agents to beat the online prices

rated:
Also check on www.bing.com/travel. This will search on sites like vayama.com too which kayak doesn't directly include in their results (although they
xyxyxy said: Check Kayak before calling all the agents. Kayak will check most of the airline's website for you, once you get he lowest rate from kayak, you can start calling all the agents to see if they can beat the prices.

rated:
Lately i have stopped buying tickets for travel agent thanks to similar pricing ease of purchase on online sites like bing.com , kayak.com , tripadvisor.com and mobissimo.com

rated:
Not a deal post- but rather a trip report from my part now.
I just made a roundtrip to Kolkata by Air India flights AI102 and AI101. Those flights have nonstop segment between Delhi and JFK, which is pretty good as you do not have to deal with pesky EU countries and their visa extortion fees. Also, a non stop flight assures better luggage handling.
AI102 involves a 4 hour layover at Delhi International terminal. A passenger to Kolkata has to disembark from 777-200LR, clear a quick security check point and wait at the international terminal for Airbus A320, which has definitely passed its youth long time ago. Point to be noted- no customs check was done at Delhi for Kolkata passengers; passengers don't even have to worry about their luggage at Delhi either. During return flight, for Kolkata pax customs check was done at Kolkata international terminal. Transfer to JFK bound plane was fairly smooth. Just a word of caution- always try to carry extra name tags. Security guards has to stamp on them at the checkposts and in typical Indian fashion you have to walk quite a distance from security checkpost to get one.
Food service was pretty bad as someone mentioned AI as "Sankat Airlines". Overall, I would rate AI food service well below standard. Portions are small and stale.
Another note- I saw several people with more than one piece luggage (laptop and a bag) at JFK and CCU. I think they are lenient in handbag allowance at international terminals, but I had a very bad experience at CCU domestic terminal when I was connecting to an international flight from Bombay.
Overall, I had a good experience and I think for NYC-CCU route AI is the best airline.

rated:
bing is using the farecast.com engine (they acquired it) and its great for domestic USA, but iffy for intl.

rated:
So the miles can be redeemed for a gift card?
I am getting $950 incl taxes & $750 for kids in CP from sfo to maa for oct travel. Good deal and you get asia miles too worth of $225 of Amazon GC.

rated:
Kayak will get you the prices of all major airlines.Don't even need to check in multiple search engines unless you don't mind traveling with Aeroflot. And so far, none of the agents have provided me the fare cheaper than the online price.

rated:
Patel bhai,
I am looking for 2 tickets from Thiruvananthapuram - JFK for my in-laws(Start date October last week and return date April-2010). While comming back, they want to stay one month in Dubai.

Any suggesstions? right now, Emirates shows $1220. Will it go down?

rated:
pinky24 said: Patel bhai is $919 - AIR INDIA - HYD to EWR a good price for dates of OCT 21st 2009 to APR 14 2010?
Can I book now or should I wait for a lower price? Also will it be cheaper to book from INDIA agents?
Yes, good price. If return date does not need to be fix, then keep it open. It may help, if your relative wants to return early.

rated:
somari said: patel bhai, I see a average rate of $1210 for 2 kids and 2 adults from TPA to BLR flying out on the 25th Dec and returning Jan 17/18. Is this a good price or should I wait till september as per your suggestions in the older posts.Thank you Little more. Pl. re-check it, and also try 26DEC.

rated:
Johnpaulraja said: Patel bhai, I am looking for 2 tickets from Thiruvananthapuram - JFK for my in-laws(Start date October last week and return date April-2010). While comming back, they want to stay one month in Dubai. Any suggesstions? right now, Emirates shows $1220. Will it go down?For Emirates, they have tendency to reduce fare at later time. so, I think, $1220 is more for India to JFK. If I am in place of you, I will not give $1220 right now, instead I will keep watch on prices for one month and then if it does not go down, then I will proceed for it.

rated:
Kayak seems to be a little behind. It took it 10 days to start showing the low Asiana fare, which only airfare.com was showing.

rated:
shanky555 said: Kayak will get you the prices of all major airlines.Don't even need to check in multiple search engines unless you don't mind traveling with Aeroflot. And so far, none of the agents have provided me the fare cheaper than the online price.

those days of "agent" exclusivity will slowly go away as with the domestic market. I am glad kayak is able to get the fares now for international travel too, did anyone try Priceline/Hotwire?

rated:
I can vouch for Patel bhai. I have booked tickets from him a couple of times and on other occasion he has advised me to buy directly from airline or website.

rated:
Patel bhai, I am looking for 1 ticket from Austin TX to New Delhi. I would prefer to have the journey break at NY (if possible). Dates are :
Leave from Austin anytime on 2nd or 3rd October
Arrive at Austin on 25 or 26th oct morning in Austin

Another option is
Leave on 9 or 10 october
arrive in Austin on 1st or 2nd dec

Thanks

rated:
sandeepg said: Patel bhai, I am looking for 1 ticket from Austin TX to New Delhi. I would prefer to have the journey break at NY (if possible). Dates are :

Another option is
Leave on 9 or 10 october

Thanks

Sandeep,

You can take continental with a halt in Newark and should be able to get it for around $980-$1000 from a travel agent.

Ramkyk

rated:
Patel bhai and others,

My parents are travelling today from Ahmedabad to San Diego (ticket issued by Air india ) via AMD->Mumbai->JFK->San DIego(American Airline).

My concern is there luggage from ahmedabad was routed till san diego. Staff at ahmedabad airport put tag upto san diego and said you don't need to collect it at JFK? And than they said JFK is still port of entry for them so they have to do immigration at JFK?
Is it possible or air india staff made mistake with luggage?

Thanks for help.

rated:
Patel bhai and others,

My parents are travelling today from Ahmedabad to San Diego (ticket issued by Air india ) via AMD->Mumbai->JFK->San DIego(American Airline).

My concern is there luggage from ahmedabad was routed till san diego. Staff at ahmedabad airport put tag upto san diego and said you don't need to collect it at JFK? And than they said JFK is still port of entry for them so they have to do immigration at JFK?

Let me know what can I do now if this is really not possible and mistake on AI's part?

Thanks for help.

rated:
nilaychampion said: Patel bhai and others,

Thanks for help.

At JFK, your parents will have to go through immigration, collect luggage, clear customs. There's an area after Customs where you place your bags for outbound/continuing flights.

Any airline staff, not only Air India, can make a mistake with luggage. Murphy's Law.

Hope you've informed your parents about what you can/cannot bring into USA.

rated:
Patel bhai and others,

I plan to travel from Columbus OH to Mumbai around 24th Nov and return around 5th Jan. The cheapest ticket I am getting currently on Kayak is around $1420/-. Should I wait more for the prices to go down (around a month or so)or is this the best deal I can get. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

rated:
umvas said: Patel bhai and others,I plan to travel from Columbus OH to Mumbai around 24th Nov and return around 5th Jan. The cheapest ticket I am getting currently on Kayak is around $1420/-. Should I wait more for the prices to go down (around a month or so)or is this the best deal I can get. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. For return date, 5th January, waiting longer is not recommended, but $1420 is kind of higher fare for Mumbai. It's also depends on which airlines you are choosing, as some airlines like Jet Airways and Northwest charges additional amount if your return date is in blackout date which is 1st January to 22-24 January.

rated:
Sorry, I forgot to add that I also want to keep the returning part of the ticket open. I am going for visa stamping and because of recent delays, I want to make sure that I have some leeway with the return dates.

Does anyone knows how to buy open ended tickets from websites ?

Can Patelbhai help with my query.
Thanks

Ramkyk: Thanks for the response. However I was hoping to buy the tickets directly from Patelbhai, given that people have had great experince with him (instead of shopping for ticket agent myself)

ramkyk said: sandeepg said: Patel bhai, I am looking for 1 ticket from Austin TX to New Delhi. I would prefer to have the journey break at NY (if possible). Dates are :

Another option is
Leave on 9 or 10 october

Thanks

Sandeep,

You can take continental with a halt in Newark and should be able to get it for around $980-$1000 from a travel agent.

Ramkyk

rated:
I am getting a fare of $12xx for LAX to DELHI
Date- dec 25(from lax) and return 7th feb(from delhi)
Should I wait or this is the best deal?

rated:
sandeepg said: Patel bhai, I am looking for 1 ticket from Austin TX to New Delhi. I would prefer to have the journey break at NY (if possible). Dates are : Leave from Austin anytime on 2nd or 3rd October, Arrive at Austin on 25 or 26th oct morning in Austin. Another option is: Leave on 9 or 10 october, arrive in Austin on 1st or 2nd Dec Thanks Sorry, I had missed your original post. In regards to taking break in New York, first of all, most of airlines who provides point to point discounted fares, do not allow any stopover in USA. In some cases you can do work around with it by leaving one day early in the evening from Austin and spend night in New York and then catch next day flight. Continental can give good price without stopover, but when you add stopover in Newark, they generally increase their price around $150. As you also want to keep your return date flexible, I do not recommend Continental as their minimum change fee penalty is High (I think $250) plus fare difference and their staff can not help to lower price. Besides this, I will ask you to check for other airlines like Lufthansa, Air-India, Jet Airways where your initial ticket price is less and change penalty is also less. Jet Airways can help you best to keep change penalty minimal. I do not think, you can get return ticket open but there are ways to evaluate same. If you want to get everything in one, then I think, Jet Airways can work.

rated:
nilaychampion said: Patel bhai and others, My parents are travelling today from Ahmedabad to San Diego (ticket issued by Air india ) via AMD->Mumbai->JFK->San DIego(American Airline). My concern is there luggage from ahmedabad was routed till san diego. Staff at ahmedabad airport put tag upto san diego and said you don't need to collect it at JFK? And than they said JFK is still port of entry for them so they have to do immigration at JFK? Is it possible or air india staff made mistake with luggage? Thanks for help. (1) If airlines staff placed AMD to SAN tag on luggage, then it is common practice, because once luggage reaches to JFK, after customs is done, everybody handover their luggage at common collection booth, where they do not ask you, where you are going next? but, they just use your original luggage tag to forward it ahead after customs, so in your case having SAN tag on luggage from AMD airport is common.
(2) When Air-India staff said to your parents that, "You do not need t collect it at JFK", Based on possibility, Yes, that's possible, it's thru-out checking. Generally this type of thruout checking is used for aged passenger who are unable to handle their luggage at JFK, and it's also used for single woman traveling with Infant. If Air-India staff said it, then they may be trying to help your parents as this is possible, but sometime when Luggage reaches to JFK, due to lack of synchronization, system may put-out on luggage belt. so, it's better your parents check on belt at JFK. Even, Airlines staff at JFK can also tell them, was their luggage transfered successfully or not.

rated:
kmalviya said: I am getting a fare of $12xx for LAX to DELHI Date- dec 25(from lax) and return 7th feb(from delhi) Should I wait or this is the best deal? NO. Waiting will not give any benefit when 25 DEC is departure.

rated:
Patel bhai, I am looking for tickets from EWR to MAA end of August, 2 adults and 1 kid. Leave 24/25 Aug and return 18/19 September. Thanks

rated:
Copied from previous thread:
As per I have seen, I believe, this thread is not for individual travel quote request and I do not engage in sending quote by PM. If you have any question, confusion, problem related to travel or airlines industry, I am here to help, to guide or to share my knowledge or experience as I work in this field, with passengers and with airlines staff time to time, but please please do not ask for quote request or price by PM in this thread here. This thread is simply not for it. Bring some unique question, or complex problems, I will be happy to help as much as I can. Thank you for understanding.

rated:
Patel bhai for a round trip ticket originating from India (to US) is it better to buy fronm agents in India or from here in the US? Or is it the same? Few years ago it was not possible to buy RT tickets originating from India here in the US. Not sure if that is still the case.

Thanks in advance!

rated:
newbietx said: Patel bhai for a round trip ticket originating from India (to US) is it better to buy from agents in India or from here in the US? Or is it the same? Few years ago it was not possible to buy RT tickets originating from India here in the US. Not sure if that is still the case. Thanks in advance! Now it's different then earlier. Now for majority of airlines like Air-India, Jet Airways, Continental, Qatar, Emirates, Korean, British Airways it's not making big difference in the price on either side (based on dollar to Rs. conversion rate). You can buy their ticket here in similar prices. But, For Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines and I think, Cathay Pacific, it's still making big difference because these airlines still restricts their sale prices to use in India only. Means, when they release lower price for India to USA ticket, those lower price can not be used to sell ticket in USA. One reason behind this is to protect benefit of ticket vendors in both country by giving them discounted ticket rates for their country to support their sale.

Skipping 3028 Messages...
rated:
PatelForIndia said:   
janu15 said:   Hi Patelji,My parents are planning to travel from delhi to Chicago via Airindia between 2 Nov to 17 December. They are getting it for RS.95000 right now. 2 days earlier travel agent India told for Rs. 78000. I checked online as well both days...it showed me fluctuation in price. TA wants to buy it immediately (seat wouldn't be available) but i feel it is a trend price can again come down is 2-3 days. What would you suggest me...Should wait or buy it immediately...if you need further detail let me know. I'll appreciate your help.Thanks in advance.

I did checked and 78000 Rs price was there from 03 Sept to 10 Sept.  and then it went 91000 Rs and then 94000 Rs.currently.

Now a days, since fare system are electronically connected, Airlines prices are day to day (in earlier days, fares was based on paper pricelist so it was not fluctuating much for long time). For 20000 Rs difference it's hard to say firm on what will happen tomorrow, but since November is not that high season, you can take chance and wait for sometime for lower price, and you can also keep date little flexible to stay inline with price.

You can buy this ticket in USA also.

Thanks for quick reply Patelji,
       Your answer made me a great guideline but can you please clear it more. while coming to Chicago they have fixed date Nov 2 ( since they have some company along) but going back to Delhi we have flexiblity of 1 week. Since November wouldn't be high season ,can I expect seat will be available for Nov 2 in next 7 days( If we wait ) ?. And looking at the trend ,can we expect more expensive ticket if we wait ? ( Me and my parents are more worried about seat availability as well). Appreciate your response.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 234577
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014