• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Will Be Staying in Maui this month at the Ka'anapali Beach Club, discounted on Craigslist for 750 per wk. I hear they really push their timeshares, which I would go to if the rewards, as in activities discounts are good. My question is, are there places on Maui that will offer you more activities for their timeshares? We went to Kaui a few years ago and the shops had people trying to lure you in with 2 and sometimes 3 discounts per timeshare. I only want to do one timeshare as they are no fun at all as I'm sure you know. Also which activities are best? We did the Helicoptor, Zipline, and Napali coast sunset cruise in Kaui which were pretty awsome. Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

1. I would never prepay a rental listed on CL;

2. I enjoy going to timeshare presentations;

3. The "best" incentives for me aren't necessarily the "best" for you.

Mahalo.

Thank you DSJ

I feel pretty comfortable with the buy I got on CL. He is a verified Paypal seller,I also googled him and he seems legit. Paid by cc and have a conformation with the hotel in my name so I feel good about it. If I don't have a room when I get there I would be supprised but protected by the credit card and I know I can find last min accomidations when I get there as I have family there. I don't like timeshares as you can get so many rentals on eBay or craigslist for the same price as a maintance fee, so I don't see the point of buying one. Im spending 16 nights so I can afford to spend some time on a timeshare for a good deal on an activity like a helicopter, or snorkel cruise, and golf which can be expensive for 2. Thank you for your comments.

lharris816 said: I don't see the point of buying one.

I never advocated buying one.

Where did you get that idea?

BTW what's a "PayPal verified" seller?

You seem dazed and confused.

It's been a few years, but we were able to land 2 discounts for an easy timeshare presentation without even trying to bargain - we were just happy to get a 2 for 1 luau at a nice place and got something else thrown in. I imagine you can get 2 or 3 right now.

As for activiites, I would recommend the Hana drive (and side adventures) if you are at least somewhat adventurous - plan for at least 3/4 of the day though to do it right. Also, the bike ride down Haleakala was also unique and great in my opinion. Also enjoyed exploring the northwest part of Maui - beautiful scenery and golf course/restuarant. Had fun on other activities but they weren't especially unique to Maui or any other tropical island... (whale watching shoud be in season if interested).

I just got back from Maui and would recommend a Molokini snorkel trip. The trip we took also made another stop to snorkel with the sea turtles. You should also see whales on the way there and back. The boat we took went out of the way to let us see the whales. If you decide to do this check the weather for a day it is not so windy and always go in the morning. Afternoons are almost always more windy in Maui.

As far as timeshares I never go to any of them for the discounts. I always purchase someones week from Craigslist or eBay. They are really cheap right now.

Thank you everyone for your input. We plan on doing the Hana trip for sure, and lots of day excursions. I was think the Molokini snorkel trip for sure, hope I can snag a deal there by doing the timeshare. Got my conformation number and called the hotel to make sure the rez is in my name. I love Craigslist, eBay and VRBO
for great condo rentals, have gotten alot of great deals there.

Oh and "DSJ" I'm hardley dazed and confused, never said you advocated buying a timeshare? Also, since you asked, Paypal verified quote from Paypal site - Getting verified on PayPal confirms your identify, and increases the security of your PayPal transactions. Once you’re PayPal Verified, you can: Raise your sending and withdrawal limits, Enjoy increased credibility with sellers and buyers, List your items internationally. Look it up if unsure. Doesn't mean you still can't get ripped off, but you can check the seller out. I paid 50% and will pay the other half this week.

Thanks again c2r0m and grahats

I was told the molokoni snorkeling trips are very crowded and not worth it. You are going to be close to the Sheraton on black rock, you can always rent your own snorkel gear (or buy it for about $40 before you head over there) and go snorkeling from the beach near the Sheraton resort. We stayed at the Sheraton and went snorkeling near the black rock, ton of fishes and turtles. We did the para sailing which was a lot of fun and the helicopter tour around the island and molokoni. Haleakala would have been more fun if the clouds did not cover the sunrise. The bike ride down is not for the faint of heart, you have to be comfortable on a bike and can be pretty fast at times. We stopped at a breakfast place on the bike ride down and it was great. Trip advisor has a ton of info on it and also the luau we went to was great, it was on the top of the list at tripadvisor.

Molokini trips can be crowded depending on the boat. We paid a little more to go on a smaller boat for this reason. Alot easier with kids getting in and out of water and better whale viewing than a crowded boat. Some of the boats can hold over 100 from what I have been told. There were about 25 people total and they had a light breakfast, lunch and drinks included.

Snorkeling is good around black rock and lots of other places to drive to if you are into it. Coral gardens is not far away and very good about 100 yards from shore.

I have also always used Paypal for these and never had a problem. It is easy to open a dispute with them if there ever is a problem which I have done on some other eBay items.

I have never done a Luau when in Hawaii and probally never will (just not my thing) but if you do check out tripadvisor like the above poster mentioned. Lots of bad ones.

Resort Name: Kaanapali Beach Club Resort is called Diamond resort.
Offer: They will give $100 gift certificate (2 X $50). You can use it around 25 shops and restaurants (Including Times super market which is like Stop n Shop. )
How much? 6500 points for $14,500. AVG 650/night.
How long? 2hrs. Tour of the resort. Fruit punches, Danish, etc. Kids can go Free mini Golf located inside the resort.
Pressure? None. Make up your mind before you go.

Resort Name: Windham Resort
Offer: $100 American Express Gift card + 2 nights stay in 5 specific hotels (you may not use it). They give also give you a PCI discount card to get a discounted price on most of the attractions.
Where to sign up?: Cannery mall.
How much? 110K points for $15,500 + closing + 330 Annual Taxes. Ave 1100 points/night. Includes RCI (valued $2340) for free + 2 Gift Cert to stay any resort for 2 full weeks for next 12 months + 95,000 bonus points. If you say NOOOOO. They would offer you package $1200 for next 18 months for 2 weeks stay in USA resorts to try it out.
How long? 2.5 hours. Kids can enjoy unlimited snacks, PS3, movies.
Pressure? None. Make up your mind before you go.

Marriot Resort – also gives $100 but I don’t have personal experience. I heard it is around $21,000.

My recommendations:

1) On the second day go to Windham Resort presentation. Use the PCI card to book the attractions.
2) Luau is available without Food (show only). Do that.
3) Rent Snorkel Gear at Snorkel Bob or at Frog’s.
4) Best Snorkel place: Honolua Bay
5) Whaler’s village: Visit Yogurt shop with kids. Ask for sample cups. Buy $15 in some shop get your 2 parking validated. Or Park it at Hyatt and walk on the beach. You can get to see all resorts pool.
6) Road to Hana: Stop where you see the Falls and where ever you see the big vans. Drive 17 – 20 miles more to see the Falls with 3 layers of pools. (Amazing ocean view!)
7) Shave ICE (not Shaved ice ) – Right opp too Whaler’s discount shops (Sale priced items are good value). Best Shave ICE. Don’t fall for crushed ice).
8) I can give my RCI card ID number too (valid till Jan end). PM me.

6) Road to Hana: Stop where you see the Falls and where ever you see the big vans. Drive 17 – 20 miles more to see the Falls with 3 layers of pools. (Amazing ocean view!)

My wife called this : "the Road to Divorce". I thought it was pretty decent, I liked the black sand beach at the end. But after listening to her b1tch for 4 friggn hours, I was ready to leave her by the side of the road. Make sure you BOTH want to do the Road to Hell, I mean Hana.

leggo said: 6) Road to Hana: Stop where you see the Falls and where ever you see the big vans. Drive 17 – 20 miles more to see the Falls with 3 layers of pools. (Amazing ocean view!)

My wife called this : "the Road to Divorce". I thought it was pretty decent, I liked the black sand beach at the end. But after listening to her b1tch for 4 friggn hours, I was ready to leave her by the side of the road. Make sure you BOTH want to do the Road to Hell, I mean Hana.

I'll just bring some lunch and snacks, have a drink somewhere and take our time since it will be an all day trip. Our last trip to Hawaii we put 988 miles on our rental car in 10 days, driving many times from North Kauai to West Kauai in a day just to get out of the rain. Traffic was always bad since it is two lane, but nothing like the curves to Hana tho I bet!

Thanks to hdotcom, I PM-ed you!

hdotcom said: I can give my RCI card ID number too (valid till Jan end). PM me.

I PM-ed you a few days ago, could you PM me back? Thanks hdotcom!

Okay, I'm in Maui and everything is great, no problems with the hotel I got for a discount on Craigslist, seller was legit just like I figured, got a great room and even met up with the seller for a drink when I got here. PM me if you want his number he is still selling and the hotel is just great. Timeshare people are very aggressive so we are choosing not to do it. Got a Lanai landing cruise for 109 at Snorkel Bobs for next monday. Thanks everyone for your advise. Hike the swing bridge tomorrow, snorkeling all the good spots too this week, come to Maui the weather is great except for a little rain tonight.

if you are still considering the road to hana, pick up the book called maui revealed. its a great book for everything on the island but has tons of spots to stop on the road that others don't know about and my wife and i had a blast. take your time, get out and hike to some secluded waterfalls and its a ton of fun.

Are you kidding? Since the first publishing of this book, MAUI HAS BEEN REVEALED! Every person i came in contact with when i was in Maui had a copy. Good book, but dont expect to be alone on the "hidden trails". Enjoy paradise my friend!

lharris816 said: Got a Lanai landing cruise for 109 at Snorkel Bobs for next monday. Thanks everyone for your advise. Hike the swing bridge tomorrow, snorkeling all the good spots too this week, come to Maui the weather is great except for a little rain tonight. So, anymore advice for what to see, do, eat based on your recent travel? I am heading to Maui soon so any recommendations are appreaciated.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014