Lyric Opera of Chicago
20 N Wacker Dr
Chicago, Illinois 60606
312-827-5600 Get Directions
This Deal is No Longer Available
Lyric Opera of Chicago – Up to 49% Off "The Sound of Music"
Everyone has a favorite moment from The Sound of Music, whether it's the joyful chorus of "Do-Re-Mi" or the classic "entirety of the musical." Relive it all with this GrouponLive deal.
- One ticket to see Lyric Opera of Chicago's The Sound of Music, starring Billy Zane
- When: eight showtimes available; May 6-15
- Where: Civic Opera House
- Additional ticket fees apply at time of purchase.
- $89 for main floor seating (up to $137 value)
- $49 for balcony seating (up to $97 value)
- Click here to view the seating chart
Available Dates and Showtimes
- Tuesday, May 6 at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 7 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 8 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 8 at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 13 at 1:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 14 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 15 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 15 at 7 p.m.
The Sound of Music
Stars of Broadway, Hollywood, and the great opera houses of the world join the Lyric for its latest production, but the biggest star of all might be the show itself. The Sound of Music marked the final collaboration between the legendary composer and librettist Rodgers and Hammerstein, and its unforgettable score—from the titular opening song to the final strains of “Climb Ev’ry Mountain”—rests in the capable hands of conductor Rob Fisher. Like the von Trapp siblings, he’s got lots of company. A full orchestra and a gifted cast make the Civic Opera House ring with the beloved story of a headstrong governess, a stern widower, and his harmonizing children, who rediscover their joy for life even as the threat of war draws nearer to their doorstep.
Recent Tony nominee Marc Bruni helms what Time Out calls “a lush, visually and aurally impressive revival,” featuring film star Billy Zane stepping into Captain von Trapp’s well-polished shoes. The formidable Captain meets his match in Broadway vet Jenn Gambatese’s plucky Maria, who captures the would-be-nun’s sweetness and penchant for drapery-inspired apparel. Opera luminaries Christine Brewer and Elizabeth Futral take on the roles of the Mother Abbess and Elsa Schraeder, respectively, and Edward Hibbert of Frasier fame plays the clever Max.
But it wouldn’t be The Sound of Music without the von Trapp children, and Chris Jones of the Chicago Tribune notes that the Lyric’s young performers have been cast “not just for their charm, as is typical, but for their formidable collective vocal prowess.” The ensemble do-re-mis and Ländlers their way through scenic designer Michael Yeargan’s remarkable set, which transports the audience to the grand von Trapp home, the still and solemn abbey, and the skyscraping mountains—as Jones put it, “a gorgeous picture-book design...that would delight the Austrian Tourist Office.”
Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Founded: 1954
- Home: Civic Opera House, a masterpiece of art deco and art nouveau design opened in 1929
- Mission: to engage audiences with classic operas, lesser-known gems, and new works
- Famous performers: Pavarotti, Maria Callas, dancer Rudolf Nureyev, Plácido Domingo, Marilyn Horne, Frederica von Stade, and Renée Fleming have all graced the stage
Limit 8 per person. Valid only for option purchased. Customers buy through http://gr.pn/1i1X7J1 Contact Lyric Opera of Chicago at 312-827-5600 with questions. See Groupon's Third Party site terms here. Must purchase together to sit together. Lyric Opera of Chicago is the issuer of tickets. Discount reflects Lyric Opera of Chicago's current ticket prices - price may differ on day of event. Additional ticket fees apply at time of purchase. Must enter code GROUPON before adding tickets to your cart.