As part of the scheme to increase rider ship, Lehgh Valley Railroad built "Bellewood Amusement Park". When it opened on July 4th, 1904 to 10,000 visitors, it was complete with restaurants, dance halls, beer gardens, nature walks, picnc groves, and amusement rides, including a steam driven roller coaster. Bellewood became a premere amusement destination in the Mid-Atlantic States, attracting the likes of Teddy Roosevelt!
No doubt, William Holjes savored the town's 12-year hey day. But pressure mounted from the local conservative elements and the influential terperance movement causing operations on Sunday's to be suspended. On October 10th, 1916 the park had their last excursion.
The Pattenburg House continued to operate, as other hotels, stores and industries gradually disappeared. It remained open during the prohibition and patrons could still ger a clandestine drink! Today, it proudly remains a hub of friendly people, great food and lively entertainment........ Mr.. Holjes would be pleased.