It all began back in the early 1920's, when Thomas Snyder, a chemist at The Evans Soap Co. in Camden, lived outside in a tent while erecting this building. He was a man of character, also known back then as the Justice of the Peace. What we now know as Route 206, was a dirt road formerly State Highway 39,which is where "Snyder's Luncheonette" opened in 1927. Snyder moved out of the tent and into one of the six rooms upstairs, while he rented out the other five. He not only used the upstairs as a hotel, but as a place to hold court meetings. Once the luncheonette business picked up, Snyder needed help operating the business. He sent word to Arkansas that he would need his only daughter Lillian, her husband Pickett Russell, Sr., and their two sons, Tom & Pickett, Jr. to join him here in New Jersey.
The family joined together to sell ice cream, sandwiches, and soda pop. This took place in what is now our main dining room. In 1933, after Prohibition, Pickett Russell, Sr. decided to add our barroom and acquired the first liquor license in Shamong Township. The luncheonette was renamed, "Snyder's Tavern".
In 1937, Snyder passed away, leaving the business to his daughter Lillian. To show new ownership, Pickett, Sr. and Lillian felt a new name was needed. While doing her normal duties, employee Alma Hall, came across a jar of Pic-A-Lilli relish. It was her recommendation, and all agreed it was a great idea, since it included both of their names! Hence, the "Pic-A-Lilli Inn".