What Are the Best Things to Buy in May?
(April 27, 2017 via FatWallet.com) From weddings to graduations to Mother’s Day to Memorial Day and summer vacation planning, there are plenty of events and reasons we choose to spend money in the month of May. Luckily, it also one of the biggest months of the year for traditional sales and savings on items we need to purchase! And… with what seems like a bazillion store closings this year, close-outs will be plenty as spring cleaning wraps, making for even more frugal abundance at outlets and thrift stores.
Here are some of the best things to buy in May during the big sales:
Mother’s Day Deals – Just about every retailer offers discounting leading up to this holiday. Utilize deal aggregators like FatWallet.com to help you vet the best deals and use Ebates.com to stack on increased holiday cash back.
- Outdoor Decor , Gardening Tools, Pots, Plants and Feeders
- Flowers, Candy, Books, Crafts, Jewelry and Handbags
- Smart Phones, Watches and Fitness Trackers
Wedding and Graduation Gifts – Many items featured in Mothers Day sales also appear on wedding and grad gift lists. Buying them earlier in May will ease the extra burden on your monthly budget.
- Small and Large Appliances, Cookware/Kitchenware/Flatware
- Home Decor, picture frames, bath and bedding
Summer Travel Deals – Two-thirds of vacationers book their travel online with a wide majority of bookings made before June. Travelers will want to secure their homes and staycation-ers can capitalize on sales for smart home devices.
- Spring Travel Deals on Hotels, Flights, Car Rentals and Luggage
- Smart Home Hubs, Security Cameras and Accessories
Memorial Day Deals – Basically it’s half way to Black Friday, but unlike those heavy discounts on electronics, toys and video games, this is the holiday to take advantage of deep discounts on big ticket items for your home.
- Major Appliances
- Furniture (indoor and outdoor lounging needs)
- Mattresses (and sets)