Word is out in mass of Amazon’s Prime Day tomorrow, celebrating 20 years of online retailing (starting Wed. July 15 at 12:oo am PT). Today Amazon leaked a teaser list of deals as claims of this event being bigger than Black Friday reverberate, but will the Black Friday deals (in July) be better than Black Friday? Walmart is firing back on the “prime” recruitment day with a Dare to Compare campaign of Rollbacks and a lower shipping threshold of $35, while other retailers are expected to jump on the opportunity to steal some of the attention (…let Free Shipping Day in July begin!).
Actually, the slew of current summer clearance and July sales feature pricing that beats Black Friday and discounting that rivals last years Cyber Monday deals. Perhaps one smart way to approach Prime Day would be with one eye on Back to School needs, getting some shopping out of the way while taking advantage of prime savings on things like student laptops, tablets and clothing. If you do test Prime Day, don’t forget to add Amazon cash back from FatWallet when available for extra savings, or dare to compare other cash back from more than 1,600 stores – every little bit adds up.
Comparing Amazon Prime Day (leaks) with 2014 Black Friday deals:
• Fire HD 7, $60 off – Shopko offered the Kindle Fire HD 7 w/8GB for $109.99 last Black Friday.
• Fire HD 7 Kids Edition, $60 off – Toys R Us has this product for $189 today and Meijer offered the Kindle Fire HD 6 Kids Edition for $149.99 +$30 coupon last Black Friday.
• 40-inch 1080p LED TV $115 – Target gets kudos for the lowest priced 40″ HDTV on Black Friday with their doorbuster at $119 last holiday season.
• Brand-name 32-inch Smart HDTV under $200, if Seiki is indeed a brand name then TigerDirect steals the lowest price on a 32″ Smart HDTV on Black Friday at a ridiculous $140.
• 50-inch 4K TV bundle, under $1000 – the vague details here make this difficult to compare, but there were a few 50″ 4K TVs under $1000 last Black Friday including a Seiki 50″ 4K for $400 from Tiger Direct and Best Buy has a 55″ Samsung 4K for $900.
• Bose headphones at the lowest price ever on Amazon – for reference, Abt Electronics offered Bose SoundTrue headphones for $150 last Black Friday.
• Chromebook laptop, only $199 – Best Buy offered an Acer 11.6″ Chromebook for $150 last Black Friday.
• Over 50% off two Nikon COOLPIX cameras – Best Buy offered the Coolpix L830 deal with 16MP +free memory card and bag for $169.99 last Black Friday
Other Prime Day deals from Amazon’s announcement today include:
Highly rated binoculars, under $120
Two security camera-kits, $279.99
K’NEX 2-in-1 Ferris Wheel Building Set (Amazon Exclusive), $35.99
K’NEX Crossfire Chaos Roller Coaster Building Set (Amazon Exclusive), $23.99
Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure (Amazon Exclusive), $9.99
iRobot Roomba Pet Vacuum Cleaning Robot, under $300
Husqvarna mower, under $300
40 lightning deals on DVDs up to 75% off
Up to 50% off any of the Harry Potter books
Save more than 70% on the Divergent Series Complete Box Set of books
Save up to 70% on select kitchen products from top brands like Cuisinart, KitchenAid, Foodsaver and Thermos
Save up to 50% on select tools for the DIY auto enthusiast
Connected Car and Scan Tool products starting at 60% off
Road-trip-ready automotive products starting at 50% off
Save more than 50% on Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
30% off select clothing, shoes, jewelry, watches & more
60% off Amazon Elements Baby Wipes with code ELEMENTS60
Free luxury beauty sample box with $50 purchase of luxury beauty products, with promo code LUXSAMPLES
Buy an Amazon.com Gift Card multipack, get $10 in Amazon.com promotional credit
Get 25% bonus Amazon Coins when you buy 5,000 or 10,000 Amazon Coins
Prime Now will also offer deals in the six cities where the service is offered
MEDIA CONTACT: Email us for additional Black Friday insights, interviews (we SKYPE) and in-depth shopping data, tips and trends.