April Shopping Trends – “Where to dig up the deep savings”
Spring sales bloom big for home owners in early April with deep discounts on a variety of items including cleaning supplies, vacuums, patio products, yard maintenance, home renewal and automotive maintenance. Boomers will lead the way in spending, the power shoppers in spring making up more than half the total CPG sales, including vacation spending.
It’s a good month to stretch tax refunds on big ticket items as sales are competitive offering savings up to 50% off. Shoppers can utilize free inshore pickup and take advantage of online pricing that stacks nicely with increased cash back throughout the month. And, expect continued sales on tech, especially tablets and wearables, and it’s a good time to upgrade mom’s smartphone (see our annual Electronics Shopping survey). Predictions for “What to Buy in April” below:
Easter Sales kick off a month of savings on these items:
- candy, gift baskets, and TOYS (outdoor items, games, bicycles, video games)
- spring fashion deals light up the first two weeks of April
Summer Travel savings heat up after Easter:
- April offers the magic 50-day mark for best prices and selection on summer travel bookings
- Luggage deals can be found 30-50% off clearance (stackable with cash back specials)
Home, Yard, Garden and Auto
- cleaning supplies and cleaning tools, vaccums, shopvacs
- DIY home repair, maintenance, power washers
- fertilizer, spring plants, garden tools, hoses (big savings on outdoor watering products)
- patio and grilling products (great time to stock up on charcoal)
- TIRES (up to half off this month), cleaning products, audio and accessories
Mother’s Day Deals for early-bird shoppers:
- Late April (vs. May) is better deals on jewelry and kitchen/cookware.
- Mom’s want to upgrade. Special targeted sales for select smartphones, tablets and laptops surface in late April.
- Double up savings from dozens of top retailers during Mother’s Day cash back sales