Laptops and Smartphones Rule Back to School Deals in 2014
The majority of August shoppers will take advantage of Back to School sales for items our kids will need for the start of school (those in the south and southeast can benefit from even more savings from tax free weekends: (see Sales Tax Holiday guide). But back to school discounts can also be applied to needs and/or upgrades for the home and home office, as well. It’s sort of Black Friday in summer for clothing, laptops, office supplies and travel deals (especially luggage and hotel deals).
Some of the best tech deals all year are found in August on laptops and computers (with a much bigger selection of student models than on Black Friday and Cyber Monday) during Back to School sales – NEW SURVEY reveals “parents overwhelmingly say laptops more suited to help kids learn vs. tablets”. Shoppers will find dozens of full featured laptops starting around $250, more than adequate for most students, and many professional needs as well. FatWallet members get additional savings in our annual Back-to-School Cash Back Sale, from stores like HP, Lenovo, Dell, Apple and Newegg, who’ve offer cash back through FatWallet, often increased during back to school promotions. Use the Ultimate Laptop Buying Guide and this smart Student Laptop Buying Tips to help you choose the right model for your needs.
The end of the month brings other money-saving opportunities, like increased cash back when buying online textbooks (w/15+ stores that include cash back on new, used and textbook rentals), end-of-summer clearance sales (clothing, shoes, swimwear, hotel discounts, grills and outdoor products) and Labor Day sales offering store-wide discounts from most major retailers–look for these sales to kick in during the last week of August through the holiday weekend.
Not just for kids…this seasonal shopping event is long and can be very prosperous for a variety of family needs, including the bonus of cash back increases and exclusive coupons and giveaways all month long.
- Tech: (laptops, tablets and iPads, cell phones and iPhones, PC’s)
- Supplies: (writing supplies, backpacks, lunch bags, art supplies)
- Clothing: (uniforms, shirts, blouses, jeans, shoes, jackets, hoodies, shorts, hats, socks)
- Textbooks/Books: (buy and sell online: new, used, rentals, digital)
- Musical Instruments: (woodwinds, brasswinds, drums, percussion, guitars, etc.)
- College: (luggage, furniture, lighting, rugs, small appliances, storage)
Tip: Get up to $100 back from many brands via teacher discounts (10-20% off) on computers, software and other supplies with a school ID.
End of August burns up with big price drops on “most things summer” and these sales really get a boost from Labor Day discounts-look for sales a full week before the actual holiday.
- Sports/Outdoors: (golf, cycling, running, baseball, camping, fishing, pools)
- Clothing: (shirts, dresses, shorts, sandals and accessories)
- Swimwear: (suits, shorts and swim accessories)
- Grills/Grilling: (gas and charcoal grills and accessories)
- Patio Furniture: (outdoor furniture, umbrellas, seat cushions, lawn chairs)
- Travel: (Hotels weekend discounts/packages, Vegas deals, luggage)
- MISC: (some yard/lawn tools, paint, fans, wine)
Tip: Waiting to shop for back to school items can be very good for family budgets, saving hundreds, if you’re willing to settle for what’s left in inventory the last week in August and into September.
Follow Brent Shelton on Google+.