HEAT IS ON for what to buy in July
As July gets hot, and much of what to buy in July is about the things that “keep us cool”. Beyond the huge 4th of July sales offering savings for everything under the sun, this month features big retail sales themed as Christmas in July, or Black Friday in July that bring deep discounting on a variety of items worth paying attention to. This year, many of these sales are expected to coincide with the second annual Amazon Prime on Tuesday July 12. If anything like last year, Amazon’s big summer garage sale offers hidden savings, if you’re patient. Last year some of the stand out Prime Day savings weren’t the usual suspects (tech and toys) as many of the gems came from health and beauty deals, media (books, movies, music) and dozens of sports collectibles that actually competed with Black Friday prices.
ADVICE: First, sign up for a for a free 30-day Prime trial. Look ahead for launch times of deals you’re interested in, and check FatWallet Hot Deals during Prime Day for community input and insider tips. And compare prices…this year other retailers will be more prepared with a plethora of themed mid-year clearance events that coincide with Prime Day to compete with Amazon. Last year, Walmart offered a “Dare to Compare” clearance sale that lasted several days and Staples had a similar clearance event that was well-received by the FatWallet deal hunters. This year, expect dozens of retailers to respond with something impressive like free shipping day in July?!
If you’re not interested in this hyped dumpster dive, here’s a quick guide for what to buy in July this year:
The rush to “remain calm…and cool” brings deep discounts own these items during 4th of July sales, and be alerted that the most efficient, top-rated models can sell out quickly. Waiting until later in the summer to find a good window AC unit, or a powerful oscillating fan, or even a deal on coolers and ice-makers may become a time suck, or a costly disappointment.
- Staples: Nest 3rd Gen Learning Thermostat for $199.00 (was $199.99) with free shipping
- Staples: Arctic King 8000 BTU/h Window Air Conditioner for $109.99 (was $206.99) with free shipping
- Best Buy: up to $50 savings on Nest Learning Thermostats
- Walmart: Igloo 48-qt. Breeze Ice Chest Cooler for $15.88 (was $30) with free in-store pickup
- Sears: Coleman 62-qt. Xtreme Wheeled Cooler for $39.99 (was $54.99) with free in-store pickup
- Sears: 30% off and more on Air Conditioners
July 4th events are traditionally the launch of annual summer swimwear sales with discounts up to 50% off both budget and designer swimwear and beachwear, While prices get better as we move further into summer, waiting for clearance pricing will put limits on size, selection and time to actually use it.
- Shook: 55% off Family Swimwear and Flip Flops
- Forever 21: Swimwear & Sale Tops From $4.90
- Bare Necessities: 4th of July Swimwear Sale Up to 50% Off
- Garage Clothing: Swimwear sale – Buy 1, Get 1 at $10
- Sears: up to 60% off Swimwear for Men
- OASAP: up to 75% off Swimwear
This year, Memorial Day brought us impressive sales on patio furniture and shoppers should expect big sales in early July offering similar savings, especially with the more expensive wicker and rattan sets up to 75% off. You’ve surely heard that summer clearance has the best discounts, but what’s the fun of buying something to put in storage.
- Walmart: Mainstays Grayson Court 5-pc. Patio Set for $159.99 (was $279.00) with free shipping
- eBay: LP Furniture Outdoor Propane Fire Pit Table on sale for $209.99 (was $899.95) with free shipping
- Rakuten.com: Christopher Knight Home Santa Cruz Outdoor Brown Wicker Sofa Set for $849 (was $1240) with free shipping
- Amazon: Serta RTA Palisades Collection 73″ Sofa for $381.13 (was $554.99) with free shipping
- eBay: Outsunny 4pc Wicker Sofa Set with Rattan Cushioned Seat for $369.99 (was $633.32) with free shipping
- Lowe’s: Free Local Delivery on Discounted Patio Furniture $498+ order
Planning for camping, fishing or hiking in July? and need some new outdoor gear? If yes, then sports specialty and big box stores will be your =destination as these items get some of their deepest discounts of the year this month, as do back yard games and swingsets. As well, above ground pools and water toys see some of the lowest prices of the year, too.
- Sears: Craftsman Padded Folding Camping Chair for $19.99 (was $36.00) with free in-store pickup
- eBay: DuroMax 4000 Watt Gas Powered RV Camping Generator for $209.99 (was $499.99) with free shipping
- Cabela’s: 4th of July Sale with up to 50% off sale items
- Walmart: Ozark Trail 8-Person 16×8-ft. Dome Tent for $49.99 with free in-store pick up
- Sierra Trading Post: up to 75% off Hiking Gear
- Bass Pro Shops: Frigate Offshore Angler Boat Bag for $9.97 (was $19.99) with free in-store pickup
OTHER items that should be on your radar for “what to buy in July”:
Kids Summer Apparel – Expect many popular clothing brands to offer site-wide sales that focus on summer clothing for children and babies. Savings of 20-40% can be found on shorts, polos, dresses and sandals as retailers look to make room for new back-to-school items later in July.
Furniture– July is one of the best months to purchase furniture for the home. 4th sales kick-off big clearance of last years living room and bedroom sets at furniture stores looking to move their existing inventory to make room for new models arriving in August.