I am the first to admit, until a few years ago I thought people who went shopping on Black Friday were crazy. Then I went shopping on Black Friday. Yes, people are crazy, but shopping on Black Friday is something I’ve done for the past 5 years now. I always manage to come home exhausted with a trunk full of things I didn’t know I needed.
I’m definitely not the expert when it comes to finding the best deals, and you certainly will not find me camped outside of any store days ahead of time. However, these are a few things I have learned over the past 5 years that are sure to help you have a great “Black Friday” experience.
- Do come with a good attitude. The lines will be long. You won’t get everything on your list. Someone will make you mad. It happens every year. Make the best of it and deal with it.
- Do bring plenty of caffeine. You’re going to need it! I recommend Diet Coke.
- Do dress warm if you plan to stand outside waiting for stores to open. It’s not about looking good; it’s about staying warm.
- Do shop with friends if you can. This makes it easier when you get into a store to do your shopping. It’s easier to split up and find things you each have on your list. As an added bonus, your stomach will probably hurt from laughing so hard because when you’ve been awake for over 24 hours everything is funny at 3am.
- Do stop to eat. You’ll feel like you’re in college again eating breakfast at 3am (minus the alcohol of course).
- Do your research. Check out FatWallet for the best Black Friday deals out there. Have a list for each store and bring their flyers with you. This will also give you something to look at while you are waiting in those seemingly endless lines at the store.
Do shop online if you can. The past two years I’ve shopped Kohl’s and Toys R Us before heading out to do my other Black Friday shopping.
Each year when I’ve shopped Black Friday sales, I’ve come home with lots of great bargain, usually things that were not on my original shopping list!