So you can always have flowers delivered from a florist on Mother’s day, but what if you put to work the odds and ends you have around the house and MacGyver her a gift instead?
Here is a countdown of the various Mother’s Day flower options and ranking them on cost, and on the appreciation level your mom’s going to feel when she receives a gift of flowers.
Number 5. Grocery Store Bouquet:
- Pick up a bundle of flowers at the grocery store and try to arrange them yourself.
- Cost: $25-30
- Mom’s Appreciation: 6
- Picking up flowers while you’re at the store getting groceries anyway = low effort on your part, but the thought is nice.
Number 4. Dandelion Bouquet:
- Cost: $0
- Mom’s Appreciation: 7
- Dandelion bouquets from little ones will melt her heart, but Dad’s, listen up! She is expecting you to come through with a gift as well.
Number 3. Garden Bouquet
- Go to the neighbor’s garden (there is always one show-off in every neighborhood), pick flowers, and give them to your mom.
- Cost: $0 (Unless you go without asking the neighbors permission and they charge you with Theft and Trespassing.)
- Mom’s Appreciation: 8 (Unless you get into legal trouble, then mom’s appreciation will be -10)
Number 2: Florist Bouquet
- Order from a florist and have the flowers delivered to mom’s house or work.
- Cost: $30+
- Mom’s appreciation: 9
- The surprise of opening the door to a flower delivery is sure to put a smile on mom’s face and make her feel loved.
- Check out these Mother’s Day Flower Deals on FatWallet!
Number 1. Hand Made Mother’s Day Flower Gifts
- Cost: $0-$25 for supplies depending on if you have them on hand or not.
- Mom’s Appreciation: 10
- Dad’s if you plan to make gifts with your kids you’re giving their mom two gifts: time off and the gift itself!
So clearly, the best option to win the favorite child award on Mother’s Day is to MacGyver her a gift!
Here are some of our favorite DIY Mother’s Day Flower Gifts that will WOW you MOM in a big way!
Tissue Paper Flowers:
- Britany, @princesscowboys from The Princess and Her Cowboys, has great paper flower instructions here. (FatWallet Tip: spray them with mom’s favorite perfume and they’ll be pretty and smell good too!)
“I Love You T-H-I-S Much” Giant Paper Rose
- Found DIY instructions to make this beautiful rose on GreenWeddingShoes.com (@grnweddingshoes). While they do make a stunning bridal bouquet, they’d also be a fun and beautiful gift to give your fun and beautiful mom! (Photo credit goes to Studio Castillero for the photos + Nata for the DIY instructions.)
Make Mom a Plastic Spoon Rose Pendant!
- I can hardly believe that this gorgeous rose was made from plastic spoons! The instructions can be found on cutoutandkeep.net (@cutoutandkeep).
Egg Carton Flower Lights
- Your mom will love chilling on the patio this summer with these Egg Carton Floral Light casting their pretty glow. Big thanks to @instructibles for the idea!
Chevron Flower Canvas:
- Dec mom’s walls with this chic chevron flower canvas. Make it in your mom’s favorite colors. Lisa (@simplensweet19) from All Things Simple & Sweet Projects will walk you through how to make it for just $11!
ModPodge Flower Scrapbook Paper Flower Canvas
- If the 3D flower above isn’t your mom’s style how about this striking flower made with various patterns of scrapbook paper and Mod Podge on canvas by Rissa (@risshomedesign) from RissHomeDesign?
Rock Mosaic Flower Bucket
- If your mom is more into the real thing, get her a pretty potted flower and put it in this beautiful Rock Mosaic bucket. Instructions can be found on CensationalGirl.com, @centsationalgrl.
Paper Flower Lanterns
- Light up mom’s table with these dimensional cut paper lanterns by Mary Smith, @smarylove, from DIYTag.com
Nail Polish Marbling on a Flower Pot
- HelloNatural (@hello_natural) shares instructions on how to make this faux marble flower pot. It’s a LOT easier than it looks.
Hand Stamped Rose Stationary
- Make mom a set of note cards stamped with a lettuce or celery bunch. The DIY instructions are on the Martha Stweart website (@ms_living).