What is Green Monday?
You might be surprised that the 2nd Monday in December is one of the largest online holiday shopping event of the season! We mentioned Green Monday last month in one of our blog posts, To Cyber Monday and Beyond. “Green Monday” was coined by eBay in 2007, when it was determined as their best sales day in December. Since many were shopping online rather than driving to the stores, eBay decided the name was fitting.
Many online shoppers are eager to receive their gifts in time for the Holidays. You can expect some of the best deals of the season on Green Monday from many online retailers! The International Business Times suggests that Green Monday this year will likely break last year’s record of $1.1 billion spent. Green Monday is the busiest day of the year for FedEx Corporation, since it is the peak for online shopping, FedEx expects to see about 19 million packages, up from 17.2 million Green Monday in 2011.
Of those polled on our FatWallet’s 2012 Online Holiday Shopping Survey, 52% had never heard of Green Monday and only 24% had participated in the event. But 96% of those who shopped on Green Monday last year plan to shop again this year! Since 2007, Green Monday has gained momentum from other top online retailers, including Walmart, who is planning a One-Day Only Online Event! This event includes up to 60% savings online on items such as (while supplies last):
- $179 Xbox 360 Skylanders Bundle with a Bonus Controller, savings of $70
- $225 Combo Airzone 15’ Trampoline and Safety Enclosure, savings of $70
- $69 SKLZ Pro 7’ Basketball Hoop System, savings of $60
- $399 Sceptre 50” LCD 1080p HDTV, savings of $50
- $15 Fijit Friends, Assorted Characters, savings of $29
- $20 Razor Scooter, savings of $15
Also, revealed early Monday morning, will be the secret top-brand 55” LED HDTV, at an unbelievably low price, reportedly a $600 savings compared to similar TV’s.
Walmart’s Shipping Options
Walmart has free shipping on +100,000 items, which includes virtually all electronics, video games, toys, and appliances
- Standard Shipping by December 19
- Expedited Shipping by December 20
- Rush Shipping by December 21
- Site to Store for Same-Day Pickup by December 24, Noon
Other retailers expected to participate in Green Monday include:
- ToysRus is having a two day online sale, including 60% thousands of toys
- Sears is having a “Cyber Monday Rewind” lasting until 7 am Wednesday, also checkout their Deals Center to find Holiday Deals including Todays Hot Deals, online and in-store coupons, and Deals of the Day
- Newegg.com is having a 72 hour Green Monday sale
- Keep an eye on eBay Deals on Green Monday, as the creators they sure to participate!
- Best Buy has had features past years>
- Home Depot‘s home page states “Cyber Monday is Back,” for a Monday only online sale!
- Amazon is continuing it’s Top Holiday Deals
- Kmart have a similar statement, and a sale called “Cyber*Est Monday”
- Lenovo is having Black Friday deals through December 12th, Thinkpad sales end December 14th
- Woot! is having a Woot Off Monday!
- Tiger Direct is having a 3 Day Blowout sale!
- Kohls has 2 Days Bonus Buys ending tonight!
- Staples.com has a 2 days of deals on Monday and Tuesday
- Office Max online has 2 days of deals ending tonight, and Small Business Cyber Monday deals
- Macy’s Monday only has extra 20% off and free shipping on orders over 75%
- At RadioShack Monday only save $30 on $130, and receive $10 back on $50
Visit FatWallet.com to stay updated on the latest deals!