August is all about Back To School deals right? Well…sort of. The majority of shoppers will take advantage of these sales for items we and our kids will need for the start of school, and those in the south and southeast will be able to find even more savings from tax free weekends (see our Sales Tax Holiday guide). But many of the back to school price reductions can also be applied to needs and/or upgrades for the home and home office, as well. It’s sort of Black Friday in August for clothing and laptops, if not office furniture and supplies, too, as they all fit neatly into BTS categories…SCORE!!
The best August savings can be found on laptops and computers (bigger selection than those Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals) during Back to School sales. Shoppers will find dozens of full featured laptops starting around $250, more than adequate for most students, and professionals. FatWallet members get additional savings in our annual Back-to-School Cash Back Sale, from stores like HP, Lenovo and Newegg, who’ve increased cash back through August 26. Before you buy, check our Ultimate Laptop Buying Guide and this smart Student Laptop Buying Tips story by Avrem Piltch at Laptop Magazine. A leading expert on many tech products, Avrem provides 8 steps to help you choose the right model for school use.
Other money-saving trends kick in towards the end of the month, like increased cash back when buying online textbooks (15+ stores), end-of-summer sales (clothing, shoes, swimwear, hotel discounts, grills and outdoor products), Plus, Labor Day discounts bring store-wide sales from all the major retailers that add even more savings to summer clearance.
As mentioned above, this seasonal shopping event is long and prosperous for a variety of consumers, not just students, with cash back increases and exclusive coupons and giveaways all month long.
- Tech: (laptops, tablets and iPads, cell phones and iPhones, PC’s)
- Supplies: (writing supplies, backpacks, lunch bags, art supplies)
- Clothing: (uniforms, shirts, blouses, jeans, shoes, jackets, hoodies, shorts, hats, socks)
- Textbooks/Books: (buy and sell online: new, used, rentals, digital)
- Musical Instruments: (woodwinds, brasswinds, drums, percussion, guitars, etc.)
- College: (luggage, furniture, lighting, rugs, small appliances, storage)
The End of the month sparks price drops on ll things summer and savings get a boost from Labor Day sales, which fall in August this year.
- Sports/Outdoors: (golf, cycling, running, baseball, camping, fishing, pools)
- Clothing: (shirts, dresses, shorts, sandals and accessories)
- Swimwear: (suits, shorts and swim accessories)
- Grills/Grilling: (gas and charcoal grills and accessories)
- Patio Furniture: (outdoor furniture, umbrellas, seat cushions, lawn chairs)
- Travel: (Hotels weekend discounts/packages, Vegas deals, luggage)
- MISC: (some yard/lawn tools, paint, fans, wine)
Tip: If you can wait until Labor Day and have kids that aren’t extremely picky on certain brands and styles, you can find absolute steals on back to school clearance during this weekend’s store-wide discounts and stack added savings from cash back and exclusive coupon codes, to boot!