As September kicks off the countdown to Black Friday savings, it may seem like the only chance for scoring those kind of deals, right now, are in your fantasy drafts. However…perhaps it wasn’t such a bad idea to procrastinate on August’s back-to-school and summer shopping frenzy after all, as some great Labor Day sales and summer clearance events will shine at 50% off (or better), bringing a fat wallet to those who’ve waited!
School’s in session, but so (still) are laptop deals and related tech deals as back-to-school clearance leaves behind some impressive hidden savings. Office Depot, MacMall and a handful of other stores had some of the better September laptop deals last year, and FatWallet’s Tech Week poses additional September savings with increased cash back from Lenovo, Dell and other top tech retailers from 9/23-29. Expect some super deals below $300 on older laptop models, more than adequate for students on a budget. This could also be an opportunistic time to grab a discount on big screen HDTVs (50”-60”) during football season kick-off sales, although selection at low pricing should be limited, and waiting until late November (or for Super Bowl TV deals) will present holiday shoppers with a bigger selection and possibly better savings.
Finding the best selection of discounts always means “start shopping early”. This is especially true for clearance deals on the bigger ticket items for the home, like hot tubs, patio furniture, grills, bicycles and lawn mowers during the big Labor Day sales. The same tactic applies as retailers usher out summer fashion to make way for fall fashion. Online shoppers will grab these bargains quickly, taking full advantage of choice for what remains in inventory and stacking additional increased cash back in Fall Sales following Labor Day on a variety of apparel and shoes (9/3-15). And finally, smart shoppers will start watching holiday travel pricing now, as its best to book it this month.
End of August marks summer “closeout pricing” – expect multiple weekend sales in excess of 50% off Home & Garden items this time of year.
- Outdoor Furniture: (limited choices for patio furniture clearance at half off or better)
- Clothing: (summer clothes at 50-80% off)
- Swimwear: (great time to get a super low price for that winter vacation)
- Grills/Grilling: (Up to 50% off w/2-burner grills under $100)
- Dorm Furniture: (futons, small appliances, bed/bath linens will all be on sale at bigbox stores)
- Tech: (last chance for savings on laptops, desktop computers, tablets, smartphones, software)
Tip: Shop the patio furniture and grill clearance early to get the better quality clearance items before they sell out for the season. You’ll find sales in excess of 50% off Home & Garden items this time of year.
Summer clearance makes room for autumn’s new fashion trends mid-month with sales at full tilt. Expect deep discounts on jeans and pants, long sleeve tops and coats, shoes and fall sports apparel.
- Clothing: (long sleeve shirts, pants, jeans, sweat shirts)
- Outdoorwear: (jackets, hoodies, work boots, sweats)
- Footwear: (ankle boots, fall casual shoes, clearance running shoes, socks)
- Sportswear: (golf, football, cycling, hunting, fishing)
Tip: Fall fashion savings usually comes as a store/category discount, so make sure to stack added offers like free shipping and cash back to save the maximum possible.
With hotel deals at low pricing and travel discount sites competing for early holiday planners, this is the best time to book ahead for the choice and lowest package deal savings on your Thanksgiving and Christmas trips.
- Airfare: (start looking eight weeks out to get a good price and seat)
- Hotels: (stay at business hotels during the holidays for cheap rate rooms and non crowded pools)
- Car Rentals: (look for discounts when bundled with hotel bookings)
- Local Deals: (check Daily Deal sites for travel activity deals)
Tip: Many travel sites also offer the opportunity to sign up for low price alerts for the destination of your preference or keep an eye on FatWallet’s Deal Discussion forum where that community shares some of the hottest travel tips and tactics for mega savings. You can also sign up for daily emails from coupon sites, some let you customize for the most current travel related deals.